RMMV MechScape- RELEASES 11/22!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by MechScapeZH, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Korthulhu

Korthulhu Immortan Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is certainly one of the more interesting projects I've seen on here!
    I read through all of the past comments and saw that it was already addressed, but I will add that I'm also among the folk who have some trouble looking at some of the screens...and I don't have any vision problems that I'm aware of! Something this game reminded me of was that old Cartoon Network show Reboot, and while I loved that show there were also some scenes that were harder to watch even back then. I think it may just be the saturation of certain colors which are typically associated with cyberspace. In playing the demo, I didn't find it to be quite as bad as looking at the still images, just because your eyes have something else to focus on when your character is moving around the screen. Perhaps adding a little bit more decoration to those scenes with a wash of the fluorescent/neon colors, to add to the things distracting the eyes? Either way, that was really my only complaint! I enjoyed the sort of "DOS feel" of the graphics, and the story was intriguing!
    Looking forward to the finished product!

Biestmann and MechScapeZH like this.
  2. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm sorry about the screens- which ones in particular bothered you? Just the backgrounds in the running stage, or are there any other screens? This is an issue I've been struggling to fix- is the issue that the colors are too bright? I can easily desaturate them. What do you mean by a "wash?" I've never heard of that before. If you would give me some more information on this, I would be very grateful.

As for ReBoot... Yes, I do love ReBoot. :guffaw: It and it's sister show, Beast Wars, were big parts of my childhood. I had them on DVD and everything.

I'm glad to know the graphics look good- I worked for quite a bit to get them to look authentic. :)

Thanks again! I'll work hard on the finished product to meet your expectations. :)

Biestmann likes this.
  3. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No need to apologize; constructive discussion is what we're all here for!
    As far as I noticed, it was mainly any screens with the brighter greens or blues. A "wash" of color is just where certain colors comprise most of the visible content. I've included examples using the screenshots you provided for easy reference:
    The greens were very harsh on screens like this...
    Capture1.PNG
    ...but were perfectly fine on screens like this...
    Capture2.PNG
    Hope that helps!

Jayje and MechScapeZH like this.
  4. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see- it's the bright green. I'll fix that right away.

Thank you! :)

Biestmann and Korthulhu like this.
  5. Korthulhu

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No problem!
    Keep up the good work!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  6. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! I plan to. :)

And while I'm here... Before I forget-

UPDATE!
    Just implemented a bit of a large change- Guarding now gives you 100 barrier points. Since you have no way to upgrade your health, I thought this was necessary to provide the player a means of defending other than healing. I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on this change.

And another new enemy-

[​IMG]
    This one's got a few recolors, so expect to see it quite a bit throughout the 4th chapter. :) Each serves a purpose, though- I didn't think viruses that arose from the same place required different models. (I'm not just being lazy! Definitely not! :guffaw:) Don't want to talk about it just yet... No spoilers! :)

7. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The change to guarding is very welcome. In fact, I am going to suggest going even further than that: I would fully implement the heal skill into guarding and remove the former. Fighting the boss especially, I would often heal myself for less than its next attack would take off me, and the battle would devolve into a stale battle of RNG against its ability pool as a result. Neither guarding nor healing are really strong enough on their own to be separate skills in my opinion.

Other things I noticed, I'll just put them out there:
    • After copying six skills (counting Heal), copying anymore wouldn't add them to my skill pool. If intended, be sure to disable the copy skill for the user, since it made me waste a turn unnecessarily. Also, I worry that if you really intend to limit the player's abilities to six only, that will take away the coolest aspect of your battle system very early on. Copying abilities is a lot of fun and keeps things fresh
    • Battling standard enemies, they would run out of resources and stop attacking eventually. I am not sure if that is intended. If not, I recommend increasing their skill resource to 9999
    • In extension to the above, my copy option would not turn into the option to regenerate resources in those battles either, leaving me without options to defeat the enemies, and the enemies without options to defeat me. I assume this is a bug, but without an escape option, my game essentially became softlocked then and there
    • If you don't plan on having escape be available, you might want to look into a plugin that removes that section of the battle menu entirely
    • The boss hits too hard, but the changes to guarding might decrease the difficulty sufficiently
    • Currently, there is no way to save your progress after the doctor informs you of a strong enemy approaching in the next area. Given the difficulty of the boss, death is quite possible, and so I recommend adding a 'Want to save?' prompt following the dialogue
    These are the things that stood out to me negatively and I think require immediate attention. To end things on a positive note though, your world and enemy design is super charming, and the animations for SecurityBot truly precious. The gameplay loop is fun, and the presentation of the story through cutscenes is very well done. The game has a lot of potential, and I am glad I finally played it after so long.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  8. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is something that hadn't occurred to me- you're right. I'll implement that now...

OK, what I just did was make the Guard option recover 200 energy as well as put up a barrier. I couldn't remove the heal skill at this point since it's crucial for a later feature (which I mention below), so I made it a tiny bit stronger.

Were you somehow limited to six Skills...? If so, that's a bug. You can copy as many skills as you'd like. As for copying more, that's tied to a future feature- you'll be able to combine Skills and make stronger ones. For example, collecting 3 Shocks will form Electro-Shock.

This is intentional- there should be a message saying that the virus is out of energy. That doesn't always show up, though. I'm working on figuring out why.

This is a bug. Where did this occur? It hasn't happened while testing the game myself- the Regenerate option appears when you have 10 or less Skill Energy left. Would you recommend increasing that?

That's actually supposed to have been removed already, but looking again, it isn't. I did the coding for that myself- which explains why it doesn't work. :guffaw: I'll admit defeat and look for a plugin online.:)

I believe they will. I was decreasing the enemy strength between versions for a while, but my new theory is that it might be better to increase the player's strength instead.

I just did that- thanks. Another thing that will help with this is the new Retry feature I implemented this week (... and I forgot to post about it in my update. :guffaw: I am very absentminded lately.), which will allow you to try again after losing any battle.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you played, and even more glad that you enjoyed it. :) Thank you for all your support- it really does mean a lot.

Oh, and on that note- I was working on fixing the problem @Korthulhu brought up, and I think I've made a big step in that regard- it's now possible to switch the font and window back to the RPG Maker default. Hopefully this should help people who are having trouble seeing/reading the text.

More to come!

9. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    So, I have a few things to show off today...

First of all, I redid the Battle BG for the first chapter since it was too bright (thanks @Korthulhu!). I think this looks a lot better, anyway...

[​IMG]

Chapters 3 & 4's Battle BGs are being worked on as well. Almost done with those...

Also- I've been thinking about my monetization plan for MechScape. Although everything I've posted for download so far, as well as Chapters 3 & 4, are and will always be free, I do plan to offer paid content.

Here's how I'm thinking about doing it: Once Chapters 3 & 4 are done, I'll post the next version of the game somewhere that can display the game in-browser. I asked the community where the best places to post my game were a while ago, and some of the answers I got were itch.io and Gamejolt, both of which can, as far as my research goes, do this. (I haven't actually tried yet, since I want to have all the Chapters done first.) This will be free- anyone can go and play the game from beginning to end without paying a cent.

Then, I'll have a separate page where the game can be purchased for around $5 & downloaded. If you do this, you can play the game offline. I'll include a couple of wallpapers & other digital trinkets with the download so the customer gets more than just the game. Also, I am planning to add more content to the game at some point- if you purchase now, you'll get that for free. Think of it as an "early bird price" for the additional content. The in-browser, free version of the game will never receive this content- you have to buy the download version to get it.

Additionally, I do plan on offering MechScape designs on shirts/buttons/pins at some point- mostly because I can. I don't have anything to lose by doing so, and I think they'll look good, especially on pins- the round type that you see people put on their backpacks & such.

What does everyone think of this? This is the first time I've sold... anything, so I welcome feedback.

More to come!

Korthulhu and Biestmann like this.
  10. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Development of the base game is 99% complete! Just have to iron out a few bugs & it'll be a done deal! Still looking for sites to put it on, though, so it might take a while to be released. Or not. Depends on how fast I find good host sites.

Have a Battle BG:

[​IMG]

Also, as a reminder- submissions for the letters page are still open. (Thanks to @Biestmann and @Canini for their submissions!) If anyone else wants to send one in, please do so soon. Information about it is located on the previous page of this thread.

More to come!

Canini and Biestmann like this.
  11. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    So here's what's going on right now...

I'm working on getting my game on itch.io. Still trying to figure out the system. GameJolt's my next target. And probably Steam... eventually.

I've also finalized exactly what will be included in the paid version versus the free version:

The paid version will have:
    -Two extra final bosses- the final boss doesn't transform in the free version. (ALREADY COMPLETE)
    -A more intuitive chapter select menu where you can speak to Enigma and get some gameplay tips (and perhaps a bit of funny dialogue as well- the good doctor is known for his sense of humor.) (ALREADY COMPLETE)
    -The ability to combine your Skills into new ones. (WORKING ON IT!)
    -An additional campaign starring another character. (WORKING ON IT!) Think Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories' Reverse/Rebirth campaign if you've played that.
    -Additional animation and some redone screens. (WORKING ON IT!)
    -Some wallpapers (WORKING ON IT!)
    -Anything else I come up with!

So, yeah. That's what's going to be included. By the time I'm done with the additional campaign and such, the free version will look like a "trial." :)

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  12. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good luck with the platforms, I think they might work out just fine for you!

I would advise you to keep visual elements like the user interface and animations consistent in both free and paid versions. These things don't typically differ between demo and full release, so if things look sloppy in the trial version, people will expect them to in the paid version as well. Long story short, you wouldn't be doing yourself a favor.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  13. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh yeah. You're definitely right. I wouldn't say anything looks sloppy now- it's just static images rather than animation. When I say additional animation, I mainly mean animated enemies and when I say redone screens, I really just mean the game over screen and some of the story scenes that I could've spent more time on.

Thank you for your support!

Biestmann likes this.
  14. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    So I've been working on getting my game ready for release, and it's coming along rather well so far.

Development on the free version of the game (barring game-breaking bugs) has officially stopped- everything I talk about after this point will be exclusive to the paid version.

I added a new feature, since it wasn't much trouble- Ω Bosses.

Omega bosses (name subject to change, or not, depending on if I come up with a better one- suggestions are appreciated) are supercharged, recolored versions of the game's bosses that you can challenge after you complete the main story- a bit of post-game content to keep you busy until the next campaign is released. Although lots of games have this feature, I'm mainly basing my Omega bosses on those in Mega Man Star Force, where they used stronger versions of the original bosses' attacks rather than simply having greater stats.

Oh, and two more things- each of their attacks hits for almost all of your health (you'll need to use barriers to survive) and you can't analyze them.

...Have fun! :guffaw:

Here's the first one:

[​IMG]
    Image data of the legendary Golem robot that's been heavily modified into the ultimate destructive force.

Last call for letters- if I don't get any this week, I think I'll just close submissions & publish the letters page with the two I got from @Biestmann and @Canini. (Thanks to both to you!)

More to come!

Jayje, Canini and Biestmann like this.
  15. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like the concept of Omega Bosses! Kinda wish I had thought of that name myself!
    And of course congrats for finishing development of the free version!

Canini and MechScapeZH like this.
  16. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you!

I didn't actually think of the name myself- as I said, it was "inspired" by a Mega Man game. ...But Capcom can't copyright "Omega," and the concept of harder versions of bosses exists in a lot of games, so I felt comfortable using it.

Biestmann likes this.
  17. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Still working- doing animation sheets for the bosses now (very time-consuming). Have a Battle BG.

[​IMG]
    You'll see what this location is when you play the game- it's very important.

Also- I finished working on the wallpapers that'll be included with the paid version. I think they turned out pretty well. So I pretty much just have to finish the animation sheets, and the paid version'll be ready for release.

So yeah. That's what's going on.

More to come, of course.

Biestmann likes this.
  18. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    The animation sheets for the bosses are coming along, but I'm not ready to show them just yet. (Rest assured that they're coming, though.)

Here's the last major Battle BG:

[​IMG]

More to come very soon.

Biestmann likes this.
  19. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Here's the first screen that I have completed that'll be exclusive to the paid version of MechScape:

[​IMG]
    This is an improved chapter selection screen that's navigated with the mouse, unlike the previous one, which was just a bunch of choices over a static image.

Click on the Save Block in the upper-left to save your game.

Click on the large monitor in the center of the room to select a chapter.

Click on Dr. Enigma to synthesize your Skills or talk to him- he has quite a bit to say. The good doctor gives gameplay advice:
    [​IMG]
    But he's just as likely to ramble on about this-and-that:
    [​IMG]

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  20. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Here's another paid version-exclusive feature that I mentioned before- the first Omega Boss.

[​IMG]
    Golem Omega
    Stronger than the normal Golem, the Golem Omega was born from the residual data left after it was deleted.
    You cannot analyze it, but the tactics you used before should still be effective.

Of course, it'll be animated in the final version.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.