RMMV MechScape- RELEASING SOON!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by MechScapeZH, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GIANT, GIANT UPDATE!
    OK, I have a new demo!

Here it is- I've hosted it as a HTML5 game on Gamejolt.

This is the free version of the game, and barring game-breaking bugs, it won't be modified.

However, I really do need playtesters for it- the last two chapters haven't been tested at all, and I can't release the game without testing, right? If you could play the game (it's only ~1 hour long, so it's very short) and comment with your thoughts- preferably here, but on Gamejolt would be great as well- I'll put your name in the credits of the game. :)

Thank you for your testing in advance, and there is much more to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  2. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    So I finally removed the placeholder state icons and replaced them with custom ones- take a look!

[​IMG]
    Here are the icons for the Skills Hack[Blue] and Gather. I'll be showing off more of the new icons in the coming days.

Also, I just released a brand-new demo for the game- you can find it in the previous post & on the first page. I really need feedback on it, so it'd be appreciated if you could try it out- it's short, and I promise it's fun. :)

More to come, as always.

Biestmann likes this.
  3. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    I thought the old Battle BG for Chapter 2 was a bit old & out of place, so I replaced it with a new one...

[​IMG]

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  4. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    First, a big thank you to @Artomes for playtesting- your feedback was invaluable.

I actually have 2 things to show off today-

First, the Character Bios page of the website is now updated with Chapter 3 & Chapter 4 characters- sure took me long enough to do that. :guffaw:

Second, I've finished creating the letters page that @Biestmann and @Canini contributed to (thanks to both of you- I understand you're both very busy right now, but I thought I'd put it up & you can take a look whenever you have time :))

It's not actually finished yet- there's a place on the 2nd page where there should be a link, but the page in question isn't complete yet- so it's not yet up on the website yet- it'll be just here for now. :) It'll take quite a bit of time to get that page ready, though, so I didn't want to keep you waiting.

(Sorry that your answer is so short, @Canini- it was just that I coincidentally had something written down already that answered @Biestmann's question and I had to write something up on the spot for yours.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And again, letter submissions are still open- the letters don't have to be to a character- they can be to the editor (...which is me :guffaw:), so don't feel like you have to do that if that's something you don't want to do.

As always, more to come soon! Very soon!

Biestmann and Canini like this.
  5. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BIG UPDATE!
    OK, I've finished a couple of things-

First of all, official MechScape merchandise is not available at my affiliate Buttons for Fun Designs on Zazzle! Here's a
    direct link to the collection- it's got only keychains right now, but as I always say when I sign off, there is more to come. I hope something there is to your liking. (...It's not uncommon for merchandise to come out before the game, right? Right? :guffaw:)

Second of all, since that link is finalized, so are the letters pages- they're up on the site now. The only thing that's changed is the addition of the Zazzle link, but I just thought I'd mention that they're all final now.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  6. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Greetings RPG Makers.

I have a new paid version-exclusive post-game feature to announce. (Giant, giant thank you to @ConfliKt for helping me with the programming behind this!)

After completing all 4 Chapters, you can create your own battles.

A certain being will help you do this. Who? That'd be a spoiler- but it's someone you wouldn't expect. :) (Boy, do I love being cryptic.
    ...I think it's all the Tetsuya Nomura games I've played. They're starting to have an effect on me. :guffaw:)

There's only one limitation- you can battle only one enemy at a time. Otherwise you could spawn 3 of the final boss, and that'd be a nightmare to balance.

All you have to do is:

1.) Reference the chart below, which pops up on the screen when you enter the menu:
    [​IMG]

2.) Input the number corresponding to the enemy you wish to spawn.
    3.) Leap into action!

You can use this feature to collect the Skills of viruses whose Skills you missed without having to go back into the Chapters. Or you can use it to battle enemies that normally appear in groups, like the Muckbug or Muckdweller, without their companions.

Of course, you can use it simply to rebattle foes you enjoyed battling as well.

Ideally, you'd be able to choose your Battle BGM too, but I'm still working on how to do that- not sure if it's an essential feature. Let me know if you think it is.

More to come!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Biestmann likes this.
  7. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    VERSION UPDATE!
    The game is now updated to Version 1.01- you can play it on GameJolt. (Please give it some time to load- I have not yet figured out how to reduce the loading time.)

This update is to incorporate @Artomes' feedback- thank you for playtesting!

CHANGELOG:

-New State Icons Added

-Leech virus now deals less damage

-Minor bug in Chapter 3 where "Save" option repeats fixed

-DigiStrike skill weakened

-Analyze text for the final boss changed to be less direct in its advice

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  8. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    I don't usually show off anything that's too unfinished, but I think this merits it.

I've started work on the second campaign that'll be included in the paid version of the game.

[​IMG]

Obviously, everything RTP will be replaced with custom graphics before anything is released.

First of all: note the playable character... if you've played the free version of the game from start to finish, you'll know who this is. :)

Second of all: notice that everything except the ladder (which will be replaced with a "data-stream" that you can climb on in the final) is laid out only in a left-to-right manner- it's not your usual garden-variety RPG Maker mapping. I'll leave you to speculate on this point for now. :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think should be included in the second campaign- community feedback always makes a game better.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  9. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Work on the second campaign in progressing at a steady pace. I don't want to show off too much, so here's a teaser image.

[​IMG]

Behold: GameCube-style lighting.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  10. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    I've been working on a new feature that doesn't quite function yet, but I'm going to show it off anyways...

In the final version (if all goes well) there'll be a short animation before each boss. Here's the one for the first boss, the Golem:

(Obviously, there'll be music in the final product. This is just a preliminary test. And I am aware that one of the walls is clipping- another thing I need to find a way to fix.)

More to come!

Biestmann and Canini like this.
  11. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's really cool! I love all of these small additions!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  12. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much! I'm really happy with how it turned out- disregarding the clipping, of course. :guffaw: I'm glad to hear you like it. :) Took a lot of work to make it animate smoothly.

Biestmann likes this.
  13. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Still workin' on those boss intros! Here's the one for the Chapter 2 boss... (Spoilers for Chapter 2, obviously.) Again, sound hasn't been added yet.

I posted the Chapter 1 & 2 animations since those chapters were part of my first demo, but the animations for the remaining bosses are totally exclusive to the paid version of the game- you'll have to play it to see them! (And I am sticking to that. :guffaw: No more free animations for you! Not until I release the game! :guffaw:)

And speaking of releasing the game...

I
    might have to extend the date, but I don't think I will- the game's pretty much done- the plot might be edited at some point once the comic undergoes heavy editing, in which case I might update the cutscenes, but the gameplay's totally final and the base game's complete- the game's probably going to be released sometime this month. I'm all set in terms of making my store pages- the game'll be available on GameJolt and itch.io! (How about that?)

Obviously, I am very, very excited to finally release the game and share MechScape in its (mostly) final form with everyone! (Additional campaigns are still being worked on and they'll be added to the game as I finish them- like a DLC-type arrangement, but I hesitate to call it that- more details to come on this.)

I think I mentioned this before, but this is how it's going to work: when the game releases, it'll be $4.99. When I release the additional campaigns, there'll be more content, and thus the price will increase a bit. The $4.99 price is a sort of "early bird price-" if you buy now, before the additional content launches, you'll get the additional content for free! Otherwise, you'll have to pay a bit more for it. I think this is fair- I've seen a lot of games do this nowadays- offer a special price to early adopters. Especially MMOs, although my game isn't an MMO- you know what I mean. I'm not the first one to offer this type of pricing. Sound fair? It does? OK. :guffaw: (Joking, joking- opinions on this are much appreciated.)

More details on the release to come! Thanks to everyone who's supported me throughout the development of MechScape- I'll probably do a comprehensive "thank-you post" when the game launches.

More and more and more to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  14. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Almost done! Just need to finish off the last few boss intro animations & deal with some logistics and I'll be ready for release!

But before I do, I want to add one more feature.

If a player is good enough to collect all the Skills, that should be rewarded, correct?

However, before I start the (very short) development of this new feature, I want to get the opinion of the community- it's not feasible for me to do too much work on this or I'll never deal with the logistics (which are what are really difficult) of release in time for when I want to get the game out there.

So- I've set up a poll.

For collecting all the Skills, your reward could be:

• Facing a new boss with an animated spritesheet whose name hints at future story, but no further story content will be included.
    • Facing a new boss with a static battler and having a static-image story sequence (one image only) play afterwards.
    • Watching an animated video that teases future story (think Kingdom Hearts' secret endings)
    The poll's up there, I'll leave it up to you. Feel free to comment with the reasoning behind your decision as well.

The poll will close and I'll tally the results whenever I make my next update.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  15. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Ok, so nobody voted in the poll- forget the poll, that was a bad idea. I'll come up with something. (I see the view numbers on my thread going up, though... Is it that people visiting my thread don't want to vote, or it is that they have no accounts and can't vote? Either way, it's all right- I'll decide on something myself.)

Anyway, I've made a few more changes that needed to be made before release- these will be brought to the free version soon since they're for QoL reasons:

-Removed all the colored text from the first chapter- I've been told that it's hard for people with certain vision conditions to read.
    -Added touch controls (right/left buttons) to the runner stages for people who are on mobile or would rather use touch controls than keyboard controls
    -Add .m4a files of the music so the game works on mobile- I wasn't aware this was needed before

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  16. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    VERSION UPDATE!
    Version 1.2 of the browser MechScape has launched on GameJolt. It contains the improvements mentioned in the post directly above this one. In theory, the game should work on mobile now- I don't actually have a mobile device to test it with, but touch controls are added & the music is in .m4a format, so it should work- please tell me if there are any problems.

Development's going smoothly- so far, I'm still on track for a release this month, unless anything changes. If anything does, I'll make sure to let everyone know.

Thanks for your support! More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  17. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congrats on the release of the game's new version! It's looking great!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  18. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! I'm glad you think so. :)

19. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    BIG UPDATE!
    All right, development of the base game is 100% finished!

HOORAY!!!

(...Thank goodness! :guffaw: Sure took me long enough.) As far as I can see, I've squashed all the bugs I can find- of course, if more are found, I'll fix them. :)

The animated cutscenes are all implemented, although they don't work super-well on all devices- I've included the option to turn them off. All bosses are animated now, and all the post-game content is completed.

So as far as release goes, this is what's going to happen:

-Unfortunately, I still have to work on getting my GameJolt & itch.io accounts set up as far accepting payment goes- as I said before I have... pretty much no idea what I'm doing in this matter. I have to figure it out, but I'm putting all my energy into doing so, so I don't expect it to take too long. I should still be able to make a November release, either next week or the next, provided nothing goes too wrong.
    -As I said before, release will be on itch.io & GameJolt. Other platforms may follow later.
    -DLC is still in development- as I said before, it'll be another campaign. You can find a teaser image in the Oct. 27th update.
    -The game will be sold at an "early bird price-" if you buy before the DLC is released, you'll get the DLC for free!
    -The release date will be either a Friday or a Saturday- I read an article that said those were the best days to release, since it's the weekend and people have time to play.
    -The game will be sold for $4.99. Given the length of the game (~1:20 to complete, 2:30 to 100% complete) & the amount of work that went into it (all the art & animation is completely custom), I think this is more than a fair price. I didn't want to price it too high, since this is after all my first release and it's not exactly a 50-hour RPG, but it's not exactly a $1.99 release either considering all the custom art (and the fact that it took me 3 years to make)- therefore, $4.99. That's the reasoning for the price.
    -Included with the game will be 3 wallpapers. A little bonus for buying the game. :)
    -I'll announce the exact release date in either my next update or the one after that, provided everything goes as planned. (Which, with these things, it rarely does with my luck. :guffaw:)

Since all the content I haven't shown off is post-game content (and I'm not about to spoil that, haha), from now until release I'll be posting "behind-the-scenes content" instead.

Here's some concept art dated 2014- which tells you how long I've been working on this. This should also give you some idea of my 2D art skills, haha.

[​IMG]
    Idle animation- stayed practically the same, I think.
    [​IMG]
    Damage animation- another one that stayed pretty much identical. The "X-eyes" are something I'm especially fond of- I think it adds a lot to the character's expressiveness.
    [​IMG]
    Casting animation- if you look closely, the energy effects are blue rather than green- I changed them to green since- for some reason- all sci-fi writers & artists collectively decided around 30 years ago that cyberspace is green. Not that I'm complaining, mind you- it looks really cool.
    [​IMG]
    Victory animation- note that it's patterned after the default, generator-created victory animation. I changed this for the more unique animation featured in the game with Security Bot facing the viewer, since I'd gained enough experience since I did this concept art to devise my own animation.

Thanks to everyone for their support- more to come very, very soon!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 4:30 AM