salieri09
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OVERVIEW
I've had this idea of making a game with a somewhat different take on RPGs. Most of it is heavily inspired by the Europa Universalis games. It's a fairly odd mechanic that instead of individual actors relying on HP and MP, it would be armies with Manpower and Morale, similar to this NES game, if you've played it; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_an_Emperor. The game would take place on a small map, representing the world, and you would be able to recruit actor "armies" to do your bidding.

THE ARMIES
Now the actor armies would have different classes and battle would be a rock, paper, scissors type. Main classes would be Infantry, Cavalry, and Siege. And each would have a subclass such as Pikemen, Swordsmen etc. in Infantry; Knights, Mounted etc. in Cavalry; and Cannons, Trebuchets etc. in Siege.
A commander may be recruited in each army and I'll tackle it the Equipment section.

STAT MECHANIC
Armies that level up do not gain automatic bonus stats, the player would distribute it themselves.

1. HP - HP would become "Men" or Manpower. Once it reaches zero, the actor army is permanently lost. There are ways to recover manpower but I'll tackle it in the Items section.
2. MP - MP would become "Morale." Morale unlike MP is non usable. It represents the army's ability to fight. Morale is lowered each time the army takes damage, and low Morale reduces the army's damage output to a maximum of -50% once it reaches zero. Once all of your armies have zero Morale, you will be forced to retreat regardless of remaining Manpower. Morale can be restored in a variety of ways such as items and skills or "Orders" as I would call them and can be restored significantly by defeating an enemy army. Making a successful attack also restores little Morale.
3. ATK - ATK would stay the same I guess but it would be called "Power." It's the amount of normal damage dealt.
4. MATK - MATK would be called "Shock." Shock values would scale with skills, or abilities called "Orders."
5. DEF - DEF would be called "Discipline." It's fairly basic, it would reduce "Power" damage done to the army.
6. MDEF - MDEF is "Tradition." Reduces "Shock" damage done to the army, as well as reducing "Morale" loss when suffering an attack.
7. AGI - Agility would stay the same. It provides a chance for the army to "dodge" an attack. It does not dodge it literally, but they would take minimal damage instead. Also determines turn order.
8. LUK - Luck becomes "Logistics." It affects "Manpower" and "Morale" regeneration outside battle.

EQUIPMENT
There would be a few equipment types:
1. Commander - A commander provides huge bonuses to an army. Fighting without one will impose a penalty to the army and you would risk the army to "shatter" or disband after you lost a fight and their Morale is 0. Also "Order" skills are directly tied to a Commander, and without one, an army cannot use Order skills. But Order skills can be mastered. Once reaching a proficient level of using that skill, it is permanently unlocked regardless when changing Commanders.
I'm also thinking of having a chance for the Commander to die in or out of battle (because Commander is an item, it would break instead.), and I am unsure to implement this, besides adding an item durability plugin, but that would instead kill the Commander slowly instead of randomly.
2. Haven't really thought of anything else, but maybe some structures such as supply tents and etc. I would love to hear some suggestions.

ITEMS (And other Mechanics)
My main focus here is how to recover HP or "Manpower." Because unlike "Manpower", Morale recovers pretty fast. " Manpower" recovery would be a trickle, and I'm thinking of adding a variable called "Manpower pool." It would slowly tricke to full, and will refill your army 10x faster from this pool. This is to prevent power farming and stomping your enemies into oblivion.
"Consumables" are not really consumables and are somewhat of a 1 time "decree" or "order" that lets you instantaneously recover some Manpower or Morale with accompanying debuffs, and as well as temporary buffs and etc.

So that's it and sorry for a long wall of text, but I just write down if I have some good ideas in my head otherwise I'd lose them. I also think this is feasible, at least with my current understanding of available plugins. I would like to hear your opinions or suggestions, as I might try this out after I'm done with my current project. Anyways, I'll catch you guys and gals next time. :uswt:

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i like this idea a lot, its something i have been trying to try myself for years now.
My idea was to have each character as a general, and the stats would become the condition of their personal army.
Can't directly say names because the games have +18 content on them but look at some classic japanese strategy rpgs for inspiration, some of them did things extremely similar to what you are saying.

quackenbirdt

salieri09
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I've encountered a few of these RPGs in the past, and they have partly inspired this idea. I'm hoping to finish my current project soon so that I can dig my teeth on this one and see if it's doable. But in my version, the army is the backbone and the general is a bonus. It would be neat to implement this into a Tactical Battle System, but that would be another story for another day.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've never found Europa Universalis combat to be that interesting, but it does its job in the midst of an epic, broad-strokes kind of grand strategy game like EU.

As an RPG, however... I don't think you'd be doing yourself any favors by trying to replicate a grand strategy game's mechanics in the framework of an RPG. RPG combat is fun because it is personal - at its best, each character can do really fun stuff, and you can identify with them. They are not a faceless mass of units; they are not a number. They are people whose success you are invested in. They are 'superheroes' that can do things that the enemies can't, and that even they couldn't earlier in the game. And similarly, the enemies aren't usually faceless stacks of units either - they are fun, interesting, diverse enemies with different feels, that provide a completely different kind of challenge based on what kind of moves they have.

Grand strategy games like EU are more about whether you can play the roles of administrator, economist, and diplomat well enough to amass large numbers of troops and avoid the ire of rivals who have even more troops (Austria, anyone?). Once combat starts, the outcome is usually just a formality. Going to the battle screen and actually having to play it out, with few choices to make during the battle and very little personality to the combatants, would get boring very quickly, I think.

I learned this lesson the hard way a while back - that just because I really like mechanics from a certain game, doesn't necessarily mean I should try to use those mechanics in my own games. There are times that it works, for sure - but those times are where the mechanic, as well as all of the other mechanics in your game (such as the RPG battle system framework you're working inside) are used in service to the same Aesthetics of Play. I highly recommend reading up on the MDA Framework, possibly the single most useful piece of game design academia ever written. (Here's a very good video on it, and here's a pretty good paper written about it.) The key is to understand exactly what kind of experience you want to create for the player, and design mechanics (or apply mechanics from other games you've liked) that directly create that kind of experience. If you have multiple mechanics that appear together, but don't work toward the same aesthetics of play, you'll end up with a weirdly unsatisfying play experience.

quackenbirdt

salieri09
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely check those links you provided. Well as of now, this is just a "rough" idea and perhaps a fresh take on the sea of story-driven RPGs out there. RMMV might not be the software fit for this, but it's ok, I'm not pursuing this idea anytime soon. I need more skill to deliver what kind of experience the people might want.

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh i forgot to mention, definitely check out Mount and blade, probably the best mix between sandbox strategy and rpg ever made in a medieval setting.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh i forgot to mention, definitely check out Mount and blade, probably the best mix between sandbox strategy and rpg ever made in a medieval setting.
+1.
from party management, to battle formations, to marrying the daughter of a nobleman and becoming king yourself.

definitely set it to boost XP tho, otherwise you'd be grinding forever and never make it past footman level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Released a spider. Looked deadly.
I’ll just assume it was deadly. Bravery, people.

The hero compassionately saves the frightful beast of unknown persuasions. Did it feel gratitude or fear? Nevertheless, the hero sees their good deed in the darkest shadows of the night, wondering if each would be the one to repay them with an unknown demise.
Success, my character has harnessed the power of the particle, and now she leaves a speed streak.:kaopride:

I'm breaking up with QSprite. :kaolivid:
Ami
--- Spoiled Food ---

M.Knight: Oh,no! the Bread has been Mold!
Chef: It's not Mold,it's in Fermentation.
M.Knight: Are you sure?
Chef: Y'know Cheese? It's safe to eat
(Chef eat the Moldy Bread,after that he take into the Hospital with Green Face)
Suddenly I remember the days when I create something just by pure wild imagination. I wasn't thinking about concept, structure, or anything else. Just create (even if it's unfinished in the end). Somehow I kinda want to have that wild imagination again. :D
Google "The Great Stink"
Enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drtreaven