Medieval Pack Update Feedback

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I plan on starting work on the first update for the Medieval packs hopefully next week, and wanted to know what you guys might want to see pop up. Here is what I have been thinking thus far:

• Weapons for Paperdoll use (the weapons that come with the sets, just the paperdoll part that is missing currently).
  • Pre-made characters (6 each gender each pack) to give some ideas to people how to use the resources, but also give some basic characters that can just be tossed into a game.
  • Parallax cliff map.
  • Updated character creation pieces.
  • Object clumps for easier mapping.
  • Animated lightsources such as candles.
  • Cliff ramps/addon.
  • ???

I am open to suggestions as to what you might want to see updated in these two packs. Keep in mind this would be a free update, and I do not plan on adding a bunch of new content, mostly looking to augment the stuff that is there. New content, like new tiles, character pieces, monsters, etc, are forthcoming in new packs.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sample maps would be a good starting point for newcomers. The basic characters would be nice too, but then they'd probably get overused.

deilin

Ranger/Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
These can be premade NPCs, but some doing various actions/jobs would be nice. Farmers staring at their crops isn't too inspiring.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
  • Tiles take you can use to move from ground tiles to cliff tiles, i hope this makes sense! Like the quick photoshop you showed a few days ago. Would really benefit to make mountain areas

• Additional tiles to make cliff mapping easier (easier turns, change the height of cliffs easier etc)

• A few extra animation sprites for farmers, blacksmiths etc

Not a must but premade "clumps" of objects might be nice //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif Anyway, great to hear you are going to expand the already released packs too!

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also for the recolors, I'd focus on the parts that come with different colors like the vest in my avatar so that it's easier to recolor them. I've had to use the threshold to get my edits right.

Also, I think you may have the doors for the non-parallel maps too high. I'm sure it can easily be adjusted in GIMP regardless.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sample maps are a good idea, I can make some interior maps as well that could be useful templates.

I will see what I can do about profession-specific animations, but they would only be for that single character, it would be waaaay too much of a step backward (not to mention the hassle) to add those animations to all base templates and character creation items.

Adding cliff ramps is a good idea, I will see what I can do //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif Also, clumps of objects is something I was thinking of as well so these will be added to the list.

@BloodletterQ What might be happening with the doors is for some reason RPGMaker automatically raises events by 8 pixels unless they have a specific character in the front of their name (I think ! is the one). Maybe try that and see if it fixes the issue? Otherwise, the doors were made to fit pretty much perfectly.

deilin

Ranger/Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here's one of my interiors so far:

Spoiler

mgh.png

It mixes some of content in. The candles (evented) are all from the old HF, as is the wood floor.

And a farm with farmers standing around:

mfarm.jpg

the door is lifted the 8 pixels... I should just find the code and change that to 0. That lift is so annoying...

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For specific animations for character types, what would you want to see?

Thus far, I have the following:

• Blacksmith: hammering on anvil.
  • Tailor: using spinning wheel or sewing.
  • Baker: Kneading dough.
  • Farmer: Digging on hands and knees / raking/hoeing type motion.
  • Misc: Sorting through a crate or barrel.
  • Misc: Sorting through items on a stand.
  • Barkeep: Cleaning a mug.
  • Potter: Making a pot/vase.
  • Carpenter: Hammering or sawing motions.
  • Cobbler: Working on a shoe.
  • Priest/Nun: Praying.
  • Miner: Digging with pickaxe.
  • Drunk: Wobbling (no point in making passed out poses, can use any of the numerous down poses).
  • Guard/Soldiers: Training with training dummy.
  • Misc: Drawing water from well.
  • Misc: Tending garden/crop (perhaps might be just the same as Farmer digging on hands and knees).
  • Misc: Eating food/drinking.
  • ???

So if you guys have any suggestions for this as well, I would love to hear them. Keep in mind something though, for these to work they will almost definitely need to be stepping animations, meaning that they will have 3 frames of looping animation (the frames going in order 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2...). 

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Carpenter, guard, potter and tailor are the ones that crossed my mind.

The Infamous Bon Bon

Executive Geek
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Now some of these might be better character animations for later packs, but here is what comes to mind:

• Drunks - passed out on bar, laying in puddle of mess, falling over, etc.
  • Miners - digging and such
  • Priests, monks, nuns - praying and arms in the air ("Can I get a Hallelujah!") 
  • Cobbler - working on boots

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Good suggestions, I will add to the list //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

For cliffs, I have been working on ramps this morning. Here is a look at how they came out:

The rampings looks awesome and exactly what I need //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Animations to show soldiers training and/or fighting on map/cut-scenes (shooting arrows, basic weapon swings, cast magic pose, etc).

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Animations to show soldiers training and/or fighting on map/cut-scenes (shooting arrows, basic weapon swings, cast magic pose, etc).
They'll probably come with the Warfare pack. The question was for the add-on for the Town and People pack //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They'll probably come with the Warfare pack. The question was for the add-on for the Town and People pack //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

I felt that was kind of rude (I doubt that you did that intentionally).

I know the question and I gave my suggestion.  If PV Games wants to save it till then (or not do it all), that is fine.  Might be a better idea (although you cannot show townsfolk training or defending themselves then, that is why I suggested it).

But it is Jesse that decides what he does (and doesn't do).  So it should be Jesse that gives that response, not a third party.

if you think it is a bad idea that is fine (Note: I can see your point that it probably would be better in another pack), but to say, "The question was for the add-on for the Town and People pack," sounds like you are the one in control of the packs (and implies that I didn't bother to read the thread at all in a condescending way).

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
I meant it as "There will be animations with the warfare pack too and we don't know yet which ones Jesse will provide so I think it's better we await the contents of that pack before we ask for animations that probably belong to that pack". It's in no way meant rude. Kinda weird to me how you got that vibe from my message, it even had a smiley! //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_wink.gif

(Guess we'll keep this on topic from now on? You can message me if you want to clear out the misunderstanding further.)

deilin

Ranger/Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Another one for misc/farmer is picking (from tree/vines)

This in itself is almost turning into "A Day in the life" pack.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@The Infamous Bon Bon Great suggestions, added them to list. For the drunks though, there are already many down poses that could be used for passed out characters, but a drunk wobble might be fun to have.

@AwesomeCool These are good ideas too. For this particular type of resource, I would not have things like shooting bows though, which would be one-play animations. Instead, focusing on looping animations that use 3 frames of animation (the default for RPGMaker stepping animation). I think having soldiers training against dummies and such though would be pretty neat. Keep in mind, you can always use any of the many combat animations for many of these things, such as shooting a bow, or many types of weapon swings.

There are a lot of great suggestions and ideas for all of the types of special characters and animations to the point where it really goes beyond the scope of a mere update unless I really limit it a lot, which I don't really want to do because I think all of these ideas are worthy of being brought to fruition. What might be worthwhile perhaps is another small pack that contains like 10-20 special characters, each with their own specialty animation (plus all of the default animations that character templates come with). I would think that such a pack would be fairly inexpensive, and could provide a lot of flavor to people's game worlds. 

Anyway, I updated the list with the suggestions and thought of a few more as well. Here is the updated list thus far:

• Blacksmith: hammering on anvil.
  • Tailor: using spinning wheel or sewing.
  • Baker: Kneading dough.
  • Farmer: Digging on hands and knees / raking/hoeing type motion.
  • Farmer: Harvesting from vine/tree (perhaps I should make some sort of fruit-bearing tree for the update).
  • Misc: Sorting through a crate or barrel.
  • Misc: Sorting through items on a stand.
  • Barkeep: Cleaning a mug.
  • Potter: Making a pot/vase.
  • Carpenter: Hammering or sawing motions.
  • Cobbler: Working on a shoe.
  • Priest/Nun: Praying.
  • Miner: Digging with pickaxe.
  • Drunk: Wobbling (no point in making passed out poses, can use any of the numerous down poses).
  • Guard/Soldiers: Training with training dummy.
  • Misc: Drawing water from well.
  • Misc: Tending garden/crop (perhaps might be just the same as Farmer digging on hands and knees).
  • Misc: Eating food/drinking.
  • ???

Any and all suggestions still welcome.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is splicing together some kind of gatehouse type building possible? I am not so good with editing tiles and having an actual walled city entrance would make it more immersive. I know we talked briefly about this on Friday but I think rather than an entirely new tileset this might be easier. 

Loving the cliff ramps good sir. //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_biggrin.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How do Yu Gi Oh main characters manage to always pull out the right card? I keep loosing duels due to not getting any monsters to defend myself :(
Started playing Danganronpa 3 in French - Eyes started bleeding in less than 5 minutes - Installed English text instead.
Why, translator, whyyyy???
-_- Now we have punishments for skipping meals, specially breakfast. At least let me sleep on Fridays -_-
colorize an old sketch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tzimisce0573