Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,

704 Pages of Threads?! Wow no offence but reading every post on every threads is a bit much to ask. I have only gotten through half of them in the last two weeks. Much sleep lost. Google, Bing, absolute garbage for finding answers for a question such as this. So much for Artificial Intelligence & Algorithms lol.

Getting to the point here (touch wood), I recently started Parallax Mapping using Medieval Town & Country with GIMP. I thought I had surpassed my awkward noobishness, but however I have been humbled to know that I still do not know everything. I just wanted to know how to animate the Medieval T&C Chests? I have tried the '$' in front of the file, but to no avail. I thought resizing them and putting them onto a separate sheet might help, but I thought it might be disrespectful to mess around with the Author's Spritesheets..

If possible, could anyone give me some pointers or something I can use for future reference please? If necessary, please move this thread to another part of the forum.

I might have missed something. If I have a link would be awesome too. Again, if possible.

Warm Regards. :)

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heya @RedRidingHoodWolfHunter !

I had to double check, I don't think there are any animated chests in Town and Country. There were some open-graphic and close-graphic chests in Interiors, though (and some in other packs as well), which is what I think you mean? At any rate, they are not animated per-se. There is an "open" graphic and a "close" graphic for the chests in each direction. How I use them is I have the chest closed and then the player interacts with it and it switches to the open graphic along with whatever message/contents etc associated with the chest.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's awesome! Can't believe I didn't think of that rofl! Thank you @Jesse - PVGames ! I started Parallaxing after seeing a YouTube Channel hosted by a brilliant bloke of the same name. (Felt embarrassed after posting a comment on the channel, then working out my problem leaving the word (edited) at the end of it. I hope he doesn't think I'm a jerk). Anyway, it was an absolutely first class tutorial on implementing a basic forest using parallax. I love to parallax daily now! Haha. Most of what I do is self taught, but a tutorial here and there and a bit of advice helps a lot. I feel privileged to be a part of such an excellent, well mannered and helpful, wide community of veterans, pros, and noobs like myself.

I have waffled on enough here haha, so I will give that a go and let you know the results!

All the very best to you! :D

Edited because I missed out a bracket lol

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
704 Pages of Threads?! Wow no offence but reading every post on every threads is a bit much to ask.

That is why there's a search function ;)

And if there are 704 pages of threads, it's probably because people didn't use the search function and posted questions that had already been answered.

Not that that ever happens around here ...

I don't know that your question has ever been asked before though - certainly not often. There are a few good tutorial threads and a couple of tutorial games you can download and play through if you're just getting started with the engine. Most will be for Ace, but MV and Ace are very similar.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Haha, thanks for your response. Can I just say I L-O-V-E the signature at the bottom. Wise words. If everyone thought like that, we wouldn't need a UN or Wars, and the Elite would be poorer than us! World Peace-ish, I say ish, because there is room for improvement with the old humility side of things that people have a problem with. Fortunately, I haven't found that problem here. I am deeply moved by the simple, yet direct answers I have been given so far.

@Jesse - PVGames - I did the animated chest. One snag. Despite changing the name of the file with the pre-fix '!' and then changing it to '$' as a pre-fix, they didn't work as well as I had hoped. I think I may need to resize them a little. I have GIMP, yet I am not versed in using all of it's capabilities. A few years ago I did however, manage to re-size some Frozen sprites when I made a Frozen game for my Daughter to play with. In fact if not for her input, it would have been really rubbish haha.

I have become rusty, and any pointers in that regard with re-sizing the chest sprites, would be truly amazing and I would be very grateful. I am not sure what to give you both in return for your help, but perhaps a demo of my game when it is at the halfway stage?

Warm Regards to you @Jesse - PVGames & @Shaz

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You probably shouldn't change the ! to a $. That controls how the images will be drawn but has nothing to do with the animation.

$ means the spritesheet only contains one "character" and is only sized for one character. No $ means there's room for 8 characters. You wouldn't add $ unless you were also editing the image and only keeping one section of the 8.

! means the sprite will be drawn flush with the grid. No ! means it will be drawn a few pixels (8?) higher. ! is generally used for scenery-type things - doors (because they need to align with the walls they're built into), chests, gates. No ! is generally used for people and animals, as if you have a road or footpath or rooftop they can walk on, it looks very weird if they walk along the very bottom of it.

Nothing needed for assistance - that's what the forum is here for :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll have a look around for a tutorial that shows how to re-align or re-adjust the chests into a grid of it's own for use with RPG Maker MV. Not trying to sound technical, I am grasping at straws with a blindfold on during a blackout whilst my eyelids have been tattooed black on the inside. It's all hit and miss with my learning process, but that makes it more fun. Well for me anyway lol. :D

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this an MV pack? You posted in the VX support forum.

If it's an MV pack, shouldn't they be formatted already for use inside MV? You shouldn't need to resize anything.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really?! I clicked on RPG Maker MV in the forum. Dang, I was sure I clicked on MV here. Some of the chests in MV, the Open Chest sprites only shows half of the chest lid when it is open. Sorry for posting on the wrong Thread. I swear I am going senile. I'm 31 next week, am I going senile? OH NOOOO! Lol!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this is what Jesse said in the first reply. There are some open chests and some closed chests, but none of them are animated. All of this is based on the assumption that the open and closed chest images are in the tilesets and not the characters, as I don't have this pack.

You could use an event that uses the closed and open chests, but you won't get the opening animation. Use the chest quick event and put in any old graphic when it asks you. Then remove the Move Route on page 1 and replace it with a Play SE command. Change the sprite on page 1 to the closed chest (you'll need to scroll all the way down and choose the tileset that contains the chest image). Then change the sprite on page 2 to the open chest (selecting it from the tileset image again).

Unless you're handy at art and want to draw the two "opening" chest images, there's no need to edit anything or to convert anything from a tileset to a character sheet.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eureka! It worked! Except on the chest lid I used an additional event with Autorun and a couple of switches on the lid part and it worked perfectly! So thanks to both of you again! :D I'm still playing with parallel processes. I can do a basic cutscene, which is pretty cool.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why the additional event with autorun and switches? Does the chest sprite take more than one tile? You can still do it without an autorun or switches - leave the lid event with the two sprites on the different pages, and self switch A conditioning the second page, just like the base sprite you get with the chest quick event.

Then on the chest event, when you turn on the self switch, also turn on the self switch of the other event. You can do this with the following script command:
Code:
$gameSelfSwitches.setValue([this._mapId, x, 'A'], true)
replacing x with the id of the event that has the lid sprite. Note, this is the id, not the name (so if you have event 3 and it's called EV003, replace x with 3, not with EV003 and not with 003).

Autoruns for anything other than cutscenes is a bad idea, and you don't need a parallel process or switches for this either :)

There is also a plugin that will let you change another event's self switch, but all it does is the above, giving you a plugin command to run instead of a script command.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this is best in the section of the forum dealing with PV Games packs, rather than moving it to MV.

[mod]Moving to PVGames Resource Packs.[/mod]

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for moving this @Kes. I will finish up here on this thread with saying to @Shaz, it was just easier at the time to do two events making the one above the chest invisible so that the lid then looked fully open. Of course there are other ways, thank you for your advice above Kes' post there. I will have a gander and let you know how it turned out on the other thread of the same name. :)

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's an easier way RedRidingWolfHunter :)
If you arrange the chests you want to use in a small spritesheet, you don't need to use multiple events for this. I set up an example spritesheet:

ONdEvAX.png

This sheet is set up in the typical RPG Maker format, 3 columns by 4 rows (the bottom 2 rows are empty at the moment, you can put more chests on this sheet easily). Each frame is 48x96 pixels to accommodate the taller open chests.

Now, when you make a chest in game, you have the first event page use one of the graphics in the top row. When the player interacts with the chest and opens it, you have it switch to the next page and use the corresponding graphic from the second row. Viola :)

Paladin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's an easier way RedRidingWolfHunter :)
If you arrange the chests you want to use in a small spritesheet, you don't need to use multiple events for this. I set up an example spritesheet:

ONdEvAX.png

This sheet is set up in the typical RPG Maker format, 3 columns by 4 rows (the bottom 2 rows are empty at the moment, you can put more chests on this sheet easily). Each frame is 48x96 pixels to accommodate the taller open chests.

Now, when you make a chest in game, you have the first event page use one of the graphics in the top row. When the player interacts with the chest and opens it, you have it switch to the next page and use the corresponding graphic from the second row. Viola :)

Sorry, can you repeat this pic? It became pumpkin at midnight. :)) And if I may - how RPMV even chooses this white frame, when you choose pictures? Why when i choose your picture for door it shows me big 2:1 frame, and when I choose !chest it shoes small one tile frame? And when I choose $male_preset from your dlc it correctly shows big frame for whole character?..

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Paladin - Sure! If by midnight you mean 5 months ago :)

Here it is, but with two examples instead of one:
J0ttz3O.png

As for how RPG Maker knows how to choose frames and display images of different sizes, it's because the size of each frame does not matter. What matters is that there are the appropriate number of frames (all of the same size/dimensions) for the sprite sheet. For example, the chests above. They are 96 pixels tall and 48 pixels wide each. The sheet follows the conventional RPG Maker setup of having 3 frames of animation across and 4 frames of animation up/down. If I decided I wanted to have the chests each be, say, 100x100 pixels, then the dimensions of the entire sheet would change and need to be 300 pixels wide and 400 pixels tall.

Also of note, RPG Maker naturally assumes that all sprite sheets are actually 8 sprite sheets worth of characters. If you put a dollar sign symbol ($) in front of the name of the sprite sheet file (like $Chest for example) then that will tell RPG Maker that it is a single sprite sheet and not 8.

Paladin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Paladin - Sure! If by midnight you mean 5 months ago :)

Here it is, but with two examples instead of one:
J0ttz3O.png

As for how RPG Maker knows how to choose frames and display images of different sizes, it's because the size of each frame does not matter. What matters is that there are the appropriate number of frames (all of the same size/dimensions) for the sprite sheet. For example, the chests above. They are 96 pixels tall and 48 pixels wide each. The sheet follows the conventional RPG Maker setup of having 3 frames of animation across and 4 frames of animation up/down. If I decided I wanted to have the chests each be, say, 100x100 pixels, then the dimensions of the entire sheet would change and need to be 300 pixels wide and 400 pixels tall.

Also of note, RPG Maker naturally assumes that all sprite sheets are actually 8 sprite sheets worth of characters. If you put a dollar sign symbol ($) in front of the name of the sprite sheet file (like $Chest for example) then that will tell RPG Maker that it is a single sprite sheet and not 8.

Ok, I think, I understand now! And "!" symbol, if I may?..
And - so, may I use these chests for my small commercial product? I already bought whole your medieval pack and will mention you in readme and credits, of course.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The "!" symbol does something different. By default, RPG Maker offsets its sprites on the y-axis (up/down) by a couple of pixels. Adding the "!" to the front of the name makes it not do that. Or that might be the other way around and adding "!" is what adds the extra pixel space. I honestly forget because I never ever use it.

You are more than welcome to use the chests for your project!

Paladin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The "!" symbol does something different. By default, RPG Maker offsets its sprites on the y-axis (up/down) by a couple of pixels. Adding the "!" to the front of the name makes it not do that. Or that might be the other way around and adding "!" is what adds the extra pixel space. I honestly forget because I never ever use it.

You are more than welcome to use the chests for your project!

Thank you so much!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!
Took a small break by playing VR. Latest update of these glasses unfortunately caused a little of trouble but it can be fixed with a manual operation.

Until You Fall is freaking awesome.
I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.
how it looks from the top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DancingFire2444