The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Danteus I like your explanations. :D However, wouldn't living inside a volcano come with its own set of problems? I do like the idea of magma forged weapons, though. I like it much more than the concept of Mithril.

Danteus

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Danteus I like your explanations. :D However, wouldn't living inside a volcano come with its own set of problems? I do like the idea of magma forged weapons, though. I like it much more than the concept of Mithril.
The kind of problems that would lead to a race having a different physiology than the surface races? Like say for an example, a dwarf would... lmao

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can't imagine beards lasting very long in such heat, unless their hair is made of stronger stuff. I think it was the Warcraft universe which had Dwarves be related to stone beings\creatures, which I thought was a fun idea.

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those are good answers, I especially like your take on the use of magma. It'd be great to see Dwarves that are resistant to fire elements and who don't feel heat as easily :):thumbsup-right: Interesting ideas.

@The Stranger If their beards burn off it's not a problem because those special mushrooms will make it grow fast again. Or the only Dwarf smiths are the female ones.

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@starlight dream That's a fun way to play with gender roles. Male Dwarves keep their beard lush due to tradition and honour, etc, so female Dwarves are left with the tasks such as forge work.

I don't have Dwarves in my fantasy setting (not as a species), but I do have a blind, hairless, primitive species which dwells below ground.

Xanthippe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There are several different species of fungi living in caves and most tend to grow quite fast. there is of course other types of cave plants like moss and cave grass. These are considered the vegetables of the Dwarves. Underground lakes and rivers provide fish and seaweed and lets not forget the tasty mountain goats provide milk and meat. Centuries ago the Dwarves have figured out a combination of mushrooms and mountain herbs called Spoiler that when ingested allows them to breath thinner air so smoke in the homes doesn't bother them nearly as much. combined with their short height, much of the smoke is seen overhead anyway. The forges are always in rooms that have very high ceilings. Usually a large central cavern that have heights of the middle of the mountain they have inhabited and always have a steady stream of lava in the form of a river and usually a waterfall to help with the smelting process. This leads many outsiders to believe the mountain is a volcano ready to erupt at any moment so people tend to stay away.
If you were to ask a Dwarf about Stonespore Ale, he would tell you that particular concoction protects the drinker from extreme heat allowing them to live quite comfortably around lava and huge bonfires. And we all know just how much Dwarves are a lush on a slow day. One does not want to get into a drinking contest on any day of the week with a Dwarf.
When it comes to the economics, things get a little tricky. Gold is of course the main currency, jewels are just a higher value of the same currency. However because of the amount that is mined everyday thru out the mountains they mine, everything has a very high price. When trading with outsiders Dwarves are well known in trading their wares for other things such as cow milk and meat, potatoes, carrots and other foods that cant be grown or raised in the mountains as these things are considered a delicacy. If the merchants knew just how much Dwarves tend to have in gold coins they would likely charge overwhelmingly high prices and still the Dwarves would have no problems affording it all.

... Or at least, so they say.
I hope this answers some of those life questions. lol

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Xanthippe I love it! I especially like how gold and jewels function in a similar fashion to our currency (100p = £1, etc). I also really like the detail about the smoke from the forges making people believe the mountain is a volcano.

It was a great read, I really enjoyed it. :)

starlight dream

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Xanthippe That was wonderful! You're awesome. It had a nice story flow too, I now feel like jumping in bed & sleeping, happily after this great story. :) I'm glad they discovered the way to breathe thinner air. And you had me at "mountain goats". Every reasonable theory needs goats.

That covered all the Dwarf questions I had. Hugs :LZSsmile: Thank you.

Xanthippe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Xanthippe I love it! I especially like how gold and jewels function in a similar fashion to our currency (100p = £1, etc). I also really like the detail about the smoke from the forges making people believe the mountain is a volcano.

It was a great read, I really enjoyed it. :)
@Xanthippe That was wonderful! You're awesome. It had a nice story flow too, I now feel like jumping in bed & sleeping, happily after this great story. :) I'm glad they discovered the way to breathe thinner air. And you had me at "mountain goats". Every reasonable theory needs goats.

That covered all the Dwarf questions I had. Hugs :LZSsmile: Thank you.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it. If you have any other questions, I can try and answer them in as much detail as I can.
Starlight - I can try and find more lore on goats if your that interested. lol

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, another look at some of the Dwarven character pieces!
It isn't all bright and shiny metal armor:

AcPyFeF.png

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That looks like pretty neat rogue armor. Hope something similar's available for regular humans at some point.

starlight dream

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@The Stranger He looks more effective than most of the movie's dwarves:p

This one has lots of deadly tricks up his sleeve. Nice look.

starlight dream

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So that's what his pouch is for: pipe-weed... I pity the Orcs. You know how tough it is to face someone who needs a smoke? :LZYugh:

starlight dream

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
LOL I can't imagine Gandalf being pipe-deprived. I wonder if he starts swearing and punching Hobbits.

But I like his fancy mustache & beard there. He looks like an uptight dwarf.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.
I had an idea on how to get my encounters to leash after chasing the player for a little bit. After going down the Javascript rabbit hole, I realized I could do it in a regular movement route. Derp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZiowLady