Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
melody-mapping-contest_zpsd0d91b1c.png
Chibi Art by the very talented VexedEnigma.

When we talk about great maps, we often talk about atmosphere - the way all of your efforts come together and make the player feel like they're completely immersed in the experience. Atmosphere can be achieved through the use of graphics (from tiles to characters, lighting and fog), as well as music and sound. The right tune can make your map come alive and stick in your player's mind for a while to come.

Knowing that music can be such a fantastic helper in creating atmosphere, we've created a brand new contest that merges music with mapping - altogether promising to create a truly unique experience.

Contest:

Create an area and set the audio that accompanies it. You can choose any theme for your work. The judges will be looking at how well you've mapped your area and how the music and sound contribute to its atmosphere.

The Rules:

1- Only one entry per person.
2- You are limited to using RTP, any of the store packs (including the free Community DLC from Steam) or anything in the Re-Staff or Member+ releases. Your own composition or art is also welcome.
3- Your area must be the equivalent of 3 basic 17x13 maps put together. You can create the area as one map or a series of maps. If you are creating multiple maps, please limit them to 3.
4- Your entry should be in a compressed game, without the RTP. If you are using store resources, please make sure your entry is encrypted. If you are using Lite as well as store resources, we know you cannot encrypt, so please send a link to your entry privately to me via pm.
5- Include a list of credits.
6- Post your final entry here, with the title "Final Entry".

The Prize:

3rd place will receive a music pack of their choosing.
2nd place will receive a music pack and graphic pack of their choosing.
1st place will receive a music pack, a graphic pack and RPG Maker (or IGM) of their choosing.

Deadline:
Monday, January 26th and 12:00 EST (GMT 5:00pm)

We hope you'll have fun and take part in this contest!

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
simple question regarding the use of tileset...we can use the community tileset ? like using Pandamaru?

sorry I was not sure of this part

also we have the right to use script for creating effects in the maps?  

and...man this freaking awesome : D!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@nio kasgami: "You are limited to using RTP, any of the store packs or anything in the Re-Staff or Member+ releases. Your own composition or art is also welcome."

So, as long as it was in the ReStaff or Member+, you can use those specific resources by PandaMaru, I think. But not resources released outside of that. But I would think the Community DLC counts as store or ReStaff, right?

I have another question. If we make 3 seperate maps, does that mean, 3 different musical themes? Or is only one track meant? I assume, the map is not supposed to have any story or interaction, just background music/sounds?

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I notice there's a change in the map size rule. It initially said the map can be 51x39, but now it says anything equivalent to three 17x13 maps. I am assuming both the width and height can be up to 3 times? (since 51x39 is actually 9 times the size of 17x13).

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I'll spend the rest of the day listening to bgm tracks and daydreaming...I mean thinking up inspiring ideas.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Quick question:

"Create an area and set the audio that accompanies it."

The term audio... does it refer only to music or can we also involve sound effects like Audio/BGS and Audio/SE?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Oh, this sounds like a lot of fun! Guess I'll have to go and dig around my music folder. :3

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, lots of questions! Bear with me...

I have another question. If we make 3 seperate maps, does that mean, 3 different musical themes? Or is only one track meant? I assume, the map is not supposed to have any story or interaction, just background music/sounds?
You can use 3 themes if you'd like, but keep in mind that we will be looking at the presentation as a whole. If you do a great job on one map, but not so great on the next, it will end up with a lower score.

Keep in mind that you also need to focus on one theme alone. If you pick a horror theme, then all the songs should be horror-based. :)

I am assuming both the width and height can be up to 3 times? (since 51x39 is actually 9 times the size of 17x13).
Correct. My initial calculation was off. You can stack up to 3 maps height or width-wise, but not both. (That would be one massive map, too).

The term audio... does it refer only to music or can we also involve sound effects like Audio/BGS and Audio/SE?
Both. We'd love to hear music, but if something like Soundscapes or sound effects fits better, go for it. :)

Tarsus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ooh sounds interesting. I might have to bring my BGM schedule forward for my game so I can enter this.

Question - are you required to be able to walk around the map or can it be made as a cutscene?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So does this mean we can have a 51*13 map, a 17*39 or 3 17*13s?

(This contest doesn't exactly favour me, being deaf... :p )

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not really sure about "You're limited to using RTP" and "Your own art"

If I could draw my own (graphics) resource, then is it fine?

Tarsus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I assume the map size limit would be 663 tiles which is 17 x 13 x 3. So as long as you don't go over that limit in any combination you are fine.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
So does this mean we can have a 51*13 map, a 17*31 or 3 17*13s?

This confuses me now, too. I think, it would be best to just say which max variants are allowed.

(@Hotfirelegend: Wow, then it is a real challenge for you. But some musicians give their tracks very theme appropiate names, so I would go with those)

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My question is, as someone else's above: do you want this in the form of a cutscene, or just as a map that one can walk around?

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Both. We'd love to hear music, but if something like Soundscapes or sound effects fits better, go for it. :)
I was actually thinking about music AND triggered effects. Is that allowed?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
are you required to be able to walk around the map or can it be made as a cutscene?
Walk, as the judges might want to take time with exploring the map.

So does this mean we can have a 51*13 map, a 17*39 or 3 17*13s?
All 3 of those versions are fine. You can have one wide map that's 51x13, one tall map that's 17x39 or 3 individual 17x13 maps.

I am open to 2-person collaborations. Maybe there's a musician out there looking for help with graphic/mapping part. :)

If I could draw my own (graphics) resource, then is it fine?
Yes. Your own art is fine. RTP is fine. Store resources are fine. Re-Staff or Member+ releases are fine. And Community DLC is also fine.

Anything else is not. :)

I was actually thinking about music AND triggered effects. Is that allowed?
Yes.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Fantastic. Final question:

Can we use scripts for:

A] Parallax mapping

B] Light effects

I learn about these and I am off to start making it.

EDIT:

(This contest doesn't exactly favour me, being deaf...  :p )
Well I believe Lunarea will allow me to make something for you (if it is my style).

If you win using it prize is all yours.

Mostly I want you to have as much fun as we all will. ;)

If that's okay and Lunarea gives me the green light PM me. ;)

If I won't be able to make something for you, I can surely help you choose an appropriate one for your map instead.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.
If anyone wants to Program for me give me a DM, ill pay if i have to!
I made a drawing of Moss
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue: Militibus Elementis Redux starts now! Watch live!

I'm so freaking pissed right now i want to scream and rant and rave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanTGS