Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Bit of advice for you all, try giving your projects reasonably unique names.  I'm playtesting a few of the maps now and if I'm having trouble telling which map is which at this stage so you can imagine how it will be for the judges.  Just put your username in front or come up with an area name or something guys n gals, don't hurt your chances of winning over such a small thing :)

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm feeling a bit unwell and had to borrow Goldstorm's ears. But. Don't ask. 

@boldpaste2 Really solid entry here. Even without the text the concept of the map, beams of light/darkness, and music create a very ethereal and somber feeling.

@Masteb Oh, yes. This map really does look and sound drippy. Favorite detail is definitely the little eyes in the hole in wall but the falling rock scared the ever living crap out of me. Was not expecting that at all, lol! I have to say this sewer really has it out for me. Lots of traps and dead guys. PS. Scy, I hadn't heard this song, my bad. It’s sort of perfect! I mean, I luuuuurve it.

@Tarsus Immediately off the bat it most certainly looks and sounds like things are exploding. This song is pretty awesome, too. The sound effects as we progress onto the bridge is an excellent touch. I think the scene would have been kicked up a notch if the NPCs were more frantic though. The guy with the occasional (!) is on the right track but they all sort of look like they’re just chilling.

@esbie I think the sun beams and the color palette of the tiles all help convey a very homely feel. The only thing I can think of is that the space looks rather deserted and that no one else lives there. So while there are a lot of rustic and homely touches, something feels lonely about it too. Even the rabbit ran away from me. ;c

@TheoAllen Fire dungeon? I 100% believe that looking at this map and hearing this music, especially with that fog. I really love the vibraphone (marimba?) in this track. I don’t know what it is about pitched percussion that sounds so volcanic.

@Spuds I really like how this came together. The music has a strong and distinct tone, like a mine, but these is the melancholy tone about it that is further portrayed by the ghosts, the shaking rocks, and lighting.

@Monkeysnow The music really helps accompany the setting of a busy market, especially with everyone walking around. I sort of wish that the NPCs had the appearance of talking with each other or talking with the shop keepers. That would have been a fantastic addition. But overall I’m really happy to see you put so many people there!

@SharicX I suggest that the text box should probably be a darker blue. Kept light enough to keep with the ice theme. But the white text on the light blue, with the white snow does some weird sensory business to me, perhaps others. I noticed a few passability errors with the ledges, but overall the music and wind really accompany this map. It sounds like a delightful place to explore, just sort of embodies the joy of winter. I also wish there were some critters scampering about. The desolate and peaceful feel of the area would certainly mean the animals aren't afraid!

@Warpmind I feel like the music is saying more about the downed sprites than the map. I wish there had been some more turns, corridors, and details to really make us explore the area and discover the dead bodies instead of make a shot right up the center to find out the twist ending. What really happened here was heavy. While the approach was simplicity, making us explore the area a little would create that immersion and hit it home.

@1000LittleDreams You use the Pixel Myth tiles, which are already a huge plus for me. They’re some of my favorites and make everything gorgeous. I think the mapping is really gorgeous. And the music choice is really interesting. I can totally see it working if there were other assets to sort of make this a spooky forest with quirk and spunk opposed to traditional scary. I wish a little more of the music’s charm had been conveyed by the map in that regard

@metronome This is not a bad entry at all. Don’t say that! The shaking and dystopian feel of the music are actually highlighted really well by the fact that I’m playing as a cat. It makes you feel ever so certain that the dominant species in this area has been completely wiped out.

@GRIMMJOW The setting and music work together very well. Both are distinctly Eastern in inspiration. It does have a more relaxed and ambient feeling that lends itself well to the rain and thunder.  I love that there are animal noises as you walk by. Sort of highlights that it’s raining and that everyone has likely run indoors. In fact, I wish a few NPCs were still seen trying to get indoors!

@lemongreen The light effects on this map really bring out the loopy and almost diaphanous vibe of the music. When I was walking by and those gold shimmers were bouncing around to the vibraphones, I loved that.

@romoku The music and the map, especially with that dusty looking overlay, really help create a destroyed and deserted vibe. While the fog definitely contributes to the atmosphere, I do feel like it takes away some of the depth though, maybe a bit too opaque.

@JOpac I really love how there are tons of people on this map doing tons of things. It really makes the map look lively and well populated. The music perfectly matches the upbeat and  hip ‘it-factor’ that this mall is showing us.

@TheOddFellow I love the Eastern feeling that is happening with the music and Cadancis’s lanterns. I’m not the most experienced mapper myself so I have trouble verbalizing it, but something seems off with some of the cliffs, and I find it a little odd that the waterfalls have no source other than a small nub of water.

@dk6025 Oh, this music reminds me a lot of “Suteki da Ne!" Anyway, that’s beside the point. I think the presentation here is absolutely gorgeous. There is such a stillness and sadness here. The moon in the lake was fantastic. The snow. And then you see the encounter that has happened here. The Japanese elements. There is a lot being communicated with the map and the music. I really enjoyed this one.

@DecorativeKale The map is gorgeous and there really is a nice attention to details like the water fall BGS. It’s those small touches that really elevate something to a higher level. Really appreciated it. One thing. I know our guy here is sort of an old dude, but I’m not even kidding when it took me about two minutes to walk across the map. He needs a little coffee!

@DeathSwallow  Dude, that robot was so hype. I really love the boisterous and excited feel of this map. And the ship blasting off. Totally not a map I could walk on, but that was freaking cool.

@Dimitris Thought your entry was really cool. Seeing all the clues with the music really spells out what happened, even with just the visuals. I like how the notes were placed in a way that really made me walk over each area of the map. I was really driven to walk everywhere to find them.

@Mirage88 The trees, the lighting, and the music are all very beautiful together. I get hints of fantasy. Oh, and yay, butterflies!

@Mister Big T Wonderful job on the music. It’s urgent tone really is felt with all that is going on. Little confused about a battle in a mapping contest though. XD

@HFL and Dreadshadow Solid mapping as always, HFL. And the music is truly terrifying and perfect, Dreadshadow. A lot of the context is given by the text on the map and I wonder if there could have some more visuals and audio to help convey that. Such as some shaking and groaning of the metal of ship. There are probably more crew on this ship. They could be dead , too~

@sokita Oh, when you go to the Southern map, the BGM starts over. I’m sure it was just a small mistake but It really helps keep us in the atmosphere to keep it running. I really liked the tinting and the star effect. The ticking clock was also an interesting touch. Almost gave me some fairy tale vibes.

@Chaos17 I like the very dreamy vibe going on here. Some of it even verges into coo-coo and I love that. The effects and the music all have this sort of strung out-ness. The lute player turning into  a jump roping girl, aha! That was really weird. I liked it! Absolutely love the presentation here. 

Last edited by a moderator:

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry I haven't left a comment for everyone before the deadline. I had to play catch up with college. I will try to play everyone's entry and make my comments soon ^^.

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
@Warpmind I feel like the music is saying more about the downed sprites than the map. I wish there had been some more turns, corridors, and details to really make us explore the area and discover the dead bodies instead of make a shot right up the center to find out the twist ending. What really happened here was heavy. While the approach was simplicity, making us explore the area a little would create that immersion and hit it home.
That's fair. :)

Should've placed some more furniture, perhaps.

But, I was kind of rushed (free time to tinker with it further was essentially implausible at the time I posted...), so... :p

sokita

Crawling back to the surface
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
May I repair my error? If yes, I will reupload it with some addition.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Ms Littlefish- O_O...wow, is there really that many people participating?

Anyway, thank you so much :D ! And about the "not so map", do you really think so :-/ ...? 

Dimitris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Ms Littlefish Thanks for playing it! About the notes, you are correct, I wanted the player to have a reason to exolore the map. 

I said it before but if you want to see the full story, when you read all 8 notes, go to the hole in the third map next to the sword and choose to dig. 

Thanks again!

@Deathswallow It's so cool there are so many people because we get to see how creative people can be and what they can do with the program!

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Anyway, thank you so much :D ! And about the "not so map", do you really think so :-/ ...? 
Oh, I meant the little end scene where the ship (that vaguely resembles the Enterprise, lol) zips off into space. That was really cool. But it wasn't a map in the sense that I couldn't take my space dude and walk around. 

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Oh, I meant the little end scene where the ship (that vaguely resembles the Enterprise, lol) zips off into space. That was really cool. But it wasn't a map in the sense that I couldn't take my space dude and walk around. 
Oooh, ok i see. Yeah your right...lol. Still, glad you liked it! Thanks for your feedback! :D

Goldstorm

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I was reviewing it with her, and it looked like a cinematic to me than more of a map. It can be argued one way or another (i.e. A map is something that's 17 x 13, or a map is where a character moves). THAT BEING SAID, your entry got me very hyped for what the captains gonna do next, and I hope it's fight aliens and robots. Don't get discouraged. :)

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, I think this is everyone. If I had missed an entry please let me know as I want to give feedback for everyone. I also apologies for getting these in so late. Needless to say, after playing everyone's entry, I had learned a lot of things that I had no thought possible. I would like to congratulate everyone who participated in this contest as all the entries are pretty good.

@Chaos17 The music used here felt really well the setting here. I am guessing it’s a floating castle? One thing I noticed though that the character playing the music player turns to a jump roper if you interact with it.

@Ms Littlefish & Goldstorm I thought this was a cool entry. The music fits well with the setting and I think the song in of itself is very good. The concept was also executed very well. Excellent work!

@Dreadshadow & Hotfirelegend Ok, this entry gave me the Goosebumps. In other words, it a very good entry ^^. Effective use of the background sounds and I thought it was very resourceful creating several rooms when limited to only 3 maps.

@sokita I liked this entry, the use of the BGM with the setting was very effective. You also had an interesting twist with the wolfs as well, I thought they were going to attack xD. I also appreciate the use of the tiles I had created ^^.

@MISTER BIG T I really like the music you made for this entry. I also like the quick puzzles you threw in as well. I think your entry is the only one with a battle sequence. ^^

@Mirage88 Ahhhh. What a nice relaxing entry. This is one of those maps were I can stay in them for a while and listen to the music.

@Dimitris One of my favorite stories are the ones where the characters have no clue in the situations they are in. I thought the forest was very mysterious and the music helped reinforce that setting. Well done!

@Deathswallow 0.0 dat bgm is epic! I also liked the spaceship concept too. I think you were clever with the command deck with having a glass floor. I think you a just missing a spock (star trek joke) ;)

@DecorativeKale I really like the atmosphere the Music added in with the track and the concept was really nice. I noted though that the old man has no animation when walking to the right though.

@dk6025 A really good entry. This is one of those ones that had me stop to reflect on what I was looking at. The music did a lot to help set the mood for the map.

@TheOddFellow Really well done map pared to some really good music. I also think the star effect contributed to enhancing the atmosphere.

@J0pac Words cannot express on how good I thought this was. The concept was awesome, the mapping was awesome, and the music was awesome. In matter of fact, the only thing I can say about it is “Dude! That was awesome!” Well done! I would advise everyone who hasn’t looked at this entry yet to check it out! :D

@romoku Ruins imo are hard to do. You did a good job giving the ruins type field as well as choose a song that compliments it well. Good work!

@lemongreen an interesting entry. It definitely falls into the category of a mystic forest because there were a lot of unexpected things I saw (which fits well in a mystic forest). The mapping and the music compliments each other nicely

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
J0pac indeed. I seldom see so clever parallax mapping, combined with eventing and stuff, creating a great map. Not to mention the beauty of it. Also a living map is really hard to be made. The music fits well, boldpaste2 speaks the truth. It's an awesome entry.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
[quote name="boldpaste2" post="361212" timestamp="1422558199"

@Deathswallow 0.0 dat bgm is epic! I also liked the spaceship concept too. I think you were clever with the command deck with having a glass floor. I think you a just missing a spock (star trek joke) ;)

Loo thank you very much, I thought so too, though I can't take credit forthe music itself.... But what do you mean about the glass floor?....the see through part?....that's actually a big window.

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Ok, I think this is everyone. If I had missed an entry please let me know as I want to give feedback for everyone. I also apologies for getting these in so late. Needless to say, after playing everyone's entry, I had learned a lot of things that I had no thought possible. I would like to congratulate everyone who participated in this contest as all the entries are pretty good.

@Chaos17 The music used here felt really well the setting here. I am guessing it’s a floating castle? One thing I noticed though that the character playing the music player turns to a jump roper if you interact with it.

@Ms Littlefish & Goldstorm I thought this was a cool entry. The music fits well with the setting and I think the song in of itself is very good. The concept was also executed very well. Excellent work!

@Dreadshadow & Hotfirelegend Ok, this entry gave me the Goosebumps. In other words, it a very good entry ^^. Effective use of the background sounds and I thought it was very resourceful creating several rooms when limited to only 3 maps.

@sokita I liked this entry, the use of the BGM with the setting was very effective. You also had an interesting twist with the wolfs as well, I thought they were going to attack xD. I also appreciate the use of the tiles I had created ^^.

@MISTER BIG T I really like the music you made for this entry. I also like the quick puzzles you threw in as well. I think your entry is the only one with a battle sequence. ^^

@Mirage88 Ahhhh. What a nice relaxing entry. This is one of those maps were I can stay in them for a while and listen to the music.

@Dimitris One of my favorite stories are the ones where the characters have no clue in the situations they are in. I thought the forest was very mysterious and the music helped reinforce that setting. Well done!

@DecorativeKale I really like the atmosphere the Music added in with the track and the concept was really nice. I noted though that the old man has no animation when walking to the right though.

@dk6025 A really good entry. This is one of those ones that had me stop to reflect on what I was looking at. The music did a lot to help set the mood for the map.

@TheOddFellow Really well done map pared to some really good music. I also think the star effect contributed to enhancing the atmosphere.

@J0pac Words cannot express on how good I thought this was. The concept was awesome, the mapping was awesome, and the music was awesome. In matter of fact, the only thing I can say about it is “Dude! That was awesome!” Well done! I would advise everyone who hasn’t looked at this entry yet to check it out! :D

@romoku Ruins imo are hard to do. You did a good job giving the ruins type field as well as choose a song that compliments it well. Good work!

@lemongreen an interesting entry. It definitely falls into the category of a mystic forest because there were a lot of unexpected things I saw (which fits well in a mystic forest). The mapping and the music compliments each other nicely
*Snif, snif* You... missed mine. ;_;

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
...Oh, right, yeah...

Didn't realize you'd already done a smaller batch. The "I think this is everyone" bit gave me the impression you listed ALL the entries there.

...And that's a fairly long list of entries; best of luck to everyone; my chances are somewhere shy of slim, but THAT is the least of my worries. ;)

EDIT: Just realized I can't recall seeing any estimate for when the judging shall be announced... Was there a scheduled date, or is this just a "Wait and See" thing until the judges are satisfied they've agreed on the best entry?

romoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
@boldpaste2 
Thank you for playing it :) Those words made me feel very good especially as someone who only recently started doing things seriously :) ) I really appreciate it :)

@Ms Littlefish 
I appreciate the review :) I gave it my all, so i am happy to see that you find it good :) And now that you mention it that fog might be too thick :) Will try to look out for it more in the future :) :)

Good luck to everyone! :)

TheOddFellow

Overactive Artisan Story Crafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you everyone for your reviews, critiques, and praise. I rarely do mapping, so it took me quite a bit to create this map as well as many I had seen. I had scrapped 3 ideas, 5 maps, and did alooooot of checking around for appropriate tiles. I've had to wrestle with movement problems, and finagle with eventing so the images would layer correctly. All in all, it's been an enlightening experience and has taught me one thing!...

When I make a game, I'm hiring someone else for mapping!

XD

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.
Spend $5,000 on a new gaming PC. Didn't expect it to be like 1 foot wide, 2 feet tall, and weigh like 100+ pounds. The heck did I get myself into?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeuzyGamer