"Memoria": Retro charsets and battlers

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese

1593845198010.png

Work in progress thread! MZ's release filled me with hype. I also don't see a lot of 24x24 resources. So I took it upon myself to work on some assets for those specs! I'll be sporadically releasing more resources in this style.
They work as map sprites, sideview and frontview battlers all in a single swing. For now I'm only working on the field poses, but I'm planning the battle poses to be easily interchangeable between Sideview and Frontview so as to be as flexible as possible!

TERMS OF USE
  1. You can use these assets for Commercial or Non-Commercial games.
  2. Characters from a certain RPG Maker can only be used if you own that respective RPG Maker.
  3. If you wish to create a commercial resource pack with these assets, or that is compatible with these assets, permission must be given first. Contact me.
  4. Anyone is free and welcome to contribute to this style.
  5. Anyone is free and welcome to edit and expand upon pre-existing assets in this thread.

COMPLETE ASSETS:
Map Sprite:
RM2k3:

Work in Progress:
1594000456804.png
1594000248701.png

1594000017520.png
1594000058442.png
1594077001651.png
1594092577943.png

Hopefully I can slowly increase the characer collection through MZ's lifespan. And hopefully I'll have a few done by MZ's launch!​

Last edited:

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woah! This is great!

Question! How much do you plan to make? All 2k3/mz chars? Are you plannIng to retrofy the tilesets too or just the sprites? Do you take requests?

I so want to use this but for that to happen there would have to be enough to you know... make a game. :kaojoy:

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
Omgggg!!! I sooo love this!!! <3 <3 Cant wait to see more!! xD My steam wallet is ready for this asset pack! <3

Fomar0153

Arkz
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
These look awesome, can't wait to see more.

Are you making them in such a way that you can easily mix and match the parts, or are they all one piece?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I adore these sprites! It's a good size, I like the detail level, the style is really attractive, just all around solid work. To be honest, you've got me a little tempted to do a demake version of MV's tiles so that they have a place to wander around in.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
1593881425592.png
Thanks for the support, you guys! Here's some more WIP stuff.
None of these have any poses or animations yet, I'm working on nailing down the basic designs first.

How much do you plan to make? All 2k3/mz chars?
The entire RTP of everything! Mouahahaha! No, not really, but I wish.
Truth is, this is a very time-consuming job that I can't justify financially. But that's why I'm thinking about inviting the community to contribute! As long as it's under the same "open RPG Maker" license.

That being said, this invitation isn't official yet. I'm working on a template so that others can contribute. I need to sketch a lot of chars down before working on a template so I know the style is narrowed down and consistent, and the template is easy to use. For example, I'm still dwelling on the size of the shoes or the exact positioning of the legs, and the side pose has grown 1 pixel taller (look at the shoes not the head) since MZ.

My steam wallet is ready for this asset pack! <3
Thank you! ITS THE FOURTH TIME I READ THIS but this's gonna be FREE! ...And be made very slowly, hopefully with community support. That being said, don't sheathe your wallet as I already have an almost finished NES-style Effekseer animation pack for release :ywink: AND I'LL TAKE ALL THE FINANCIAL SUPPORT I CAN GET ORZ
I'm just waiting to submit the retro anime pack because I want to make sure it's well formatted for MZ. Which I can't until, you know, MZ is out hahaha

These look awesome, can't wait to see more.
Are you making them in such a way that you can easily mix and match the parts, or are they all one piece?
Thanks! I'm not making them mix-and-matcheable, no, BUT i am at least making the arms separate from the bodies. That speeds my workflow up a great deal and should be useful for people. That being said upon making a template it may be possible to strip down the RTP, CharaMaker style, right? I don't know really.

Starmage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
FIlipino
Primarily Uses
N/A
OMG!!! Retro charsets gonna be free and new Effekseer animation pack in the making?! :D <3 Double win!! ^_^ :) <3 Thank you so much for your hard work indeed Joseph Seraph! <3

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Retro Character Pack 2000.gif

Working on a template finally! The walk cycle is considerably changed from Alex's sprite, especially the frontview. I'm not sure i'm 100% happy but, do you guys have any feedback? Honestly I can't wait to release a template and invite other artists to this project!
I need to do a battle template, too. I'm thinking about a few poses being template-able, while having some other poses be unique per character (to imbue them with personality, y'know?) such as the victory pose and whatnot. Although thinking twice about it, it's best that everyone has a default, template-based Victory pose, then we can optionally add a custom pose if we want.

Thank you so much for your hard work indeed Joseph Seraph!
Thank YOU for the support and encouragement! It fills me with optimism!
:kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv::kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv::kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv:

kaine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
View attachment 150109

Working on a template finally! The walk cycle is considerably changed from Alex's sprite, especially the frontview. I'm not sure i'm 100% happy but, do you guys have any feedback? Honestly I can't wait to release a template and invite other artists to this project!
I need to do a battle template, too. I'm thinking about a few poses being template-able, while having some other poses be unique per character (to imbue them with personality, y'know?) such as the victory pose and whatnot. Although thinking twice about it, it's best that everyone has a default, template-based Victory pose, then we can optionally add a custom pose if we want.

Thank YOU for the support and encouragement! It fills me with optimism!
:kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv::kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv::kaojoy::kaopride::kaoluv:
The frontal walk does not convince me.
I wouldn't make the foot disappear completely when it comes back.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've never been a fan of the out/in style of walking animation for front view sprites, personally. I prefer it when it's mostly in line the whole way, though that method is harder to pull off, especially if you don't have a good handle on foreshortening and shading. Other than that, I like the base quite a bit so far.

Ah, btw:
mvdemake.png
I gave in and started this. Who knows if I'll do more than what I get done today, but it's fun for now.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
1593912044021.png
Progresss: Working on the battle poses. A few poses will need different variants for different personalities. And yeah, I'm not doing arms mostly >< so i can pose the body clearer
The bottom row will be the frontview version, but I'm gonna try to push for mutual poses as much as possible... Although I feel a few of these are a stretch LOL

I wouldn't make the foot disappear completely when it comes back.
ever been a fan of the out/in style of walking animation
I'll keep that in mind and give it another shot! I tried without the in/out and it just looked too stiff for me though :T but yeah I really don't know.

Ah, btw:
mvdemake.png

I gave in and started this. Who knows if I'll do more than what I get done today, but it's fun for now.
Love how this is turning out! :kaoluv: and it matches the chars a lot!

edit:
1593912450028.png

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
frontview test.gif
sideview test.gif

Running a few more tests. Funnily enough, it seems that even with frontview battlers on, Battle Engine Core ignores player characters for the purposes of the <Cast Animation:X > tag. Not that it matters much, that's not the point of what I'm making, but anyway.

Also these definitely are meant for a semi-small resolution. They'll look their best at slightly under the default MV resolution; I'm running this at 768 x 432 (16 x 9 tiles, aka a 16:9 resolution that perfectly coddles the 48p tiles)
At the default MV resolution, these just look a tad lost. (Then again, they'll probably look better with a BG whose floor tile which isn't 6 meters wide when compared to them)

1593934198346.png

Jaymonius

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright, I'll go and try and make the Samurai RTP hero in rm2k3. We should see all of these completed! >8D

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Damn I missed your comment! Was my opportunity to post an update without double posting XD
YAYYYY for participation!!!! <3
It's impossible that I'll handle this alone but if we collaborate we can get a really chunky community style to use on Mzzz <3

I did A LOT since my last update. You can see in the WIP section of the first post how many of the battlers have base sprites. I decided I'm gonna stop doing base sprites because it discourages artists from participating!
If you want to participate, feel free to use any of my already made idle bases as a start, or as a template, or also feel free to create something on your own. If you feel like you could touch up and improve my work, please do so as well! This is a community project, after all :D

Ah yes, important: I've updated the terms and conditions.

Here's my last update: VX NPCs. If anyone feels like trying to animate them, that'd be a godsend. We really need an alternative take on walking animations.

1594092341137.png

edit: Updated terms and conditions again, after being given tips. I really want this style to be easy to use, accessible and as free for everyone as possible! So please feel free to be creative and contribute. Hopefully we can build something new together!

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aw, no base? I want to complain that I was waiting for it to be finished before trying to make something in the same style, but honestly I'll probably not make any sprites. I never get very far making them when I try and I'm not the best at animation. I reeeeeeally love what you've been doing though, and I'm impressed by how quickly you're working.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I mean it's almost complete and it's there at the first post! I really just need feedback before I set the definite base. I'm doing more poses and stuff because it's also a good way for me to explore the style before retroactively putting that information I developed into the base! :D

Thanks for the compliments! And it's a shame you said you're not going to do it, it'd be fun to at least have one character done by the iconic Sharm though! I need to work a bit further into this animation, I'm slightly lost at where to go with it... Anyway take your time, maybe later once I put more work into the template and have a better walking anim you'll feel inspired teehee

kaine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I tried to fix the front and rear walk

Yegitu

artistic goofball
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My god, this is awesome. I'd love to participate, although I really have trouble finding some free time for stuff like this. >n<
I have the XP/VXAce and MV so I could help out a bunch... maybe I will, sounds like fun! :ewat:

kaine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I have not tested it, I have retouched the actor1, with the changes to the template of my previous post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some new balloon emotes for MZ.
Look them up in my MZ Resource Thread :)
Wow... For the longest time I thought, my game had a memory leak. I've been doing everything I can think of to optimize it. I was at a loss... Then today I tried a deployed version. Turns out the memory leak is MV running it.
:ewat:
It's not the biggest number ever, but I am so happy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salamiko97