Memories of Time

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by DaneReid, Apr 2, 2014.

1. DaneReid

DaneReid Musician Veteran

Memories of Time
     ​
    WARNING: This game contains strong language, this may be inappropriate for children and those who does not tolerate strong language. 
     ​
    HEADS UP: This game adapts to the choices you make. This games outcome may change depending on how you play.
     ​
    Story

This story revolves around the character you create. You and many other people in this world wake up with amnesia. No one know where they're from how they got to where they are and worst of all, who they are. As the main protagonist ventures through this world, pieces of his memories return.
    Screen shots

pic 1.png pic 2.png pic 3.png pic 4.png pic 5.png
    Characters

These are the major characters so far.

You
    Depending on the choices you make in the game, your character can be sweet and innocent or bitter and ruthless.

Lord Aegon

Lord Aegon is the king of this continent. Since the people in the carriage are tied up and being sent to him, he's most likely not a good person.
    Features

Advanced Choices: Like I said a few hundred times already, this game adapts to the choices you make, so careful of what you say, because it could result in your downfall

Character Creation: In the beginning of the game, you can create your own character. And through out the game, you can change their outfits and their personality.

Day and Night: Game shifts from day and night in game.

Side-View Battle System: This already says it all.
    Credits

Victor Sant
    Archeia
    LoneWolf
    Mezzolan
    NeonBlack
    Mithran
    TheoAllen
    Fomar0153
    Yami
    Syvkal
    V.M of D.T
    Download

Download is down temporarily , will be back up soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  2. That Bread

That Bread Veteran Veteran

I decided to read up on your game

I'll put thoughts of what  I see below

I love the title, its vague and yet allures a sense of curiosity.

The Story

I love it. Why? I like the idea that this place you fall into is filled with others much like you a concept that sounds different and interesting.

The idea of making the character you play as adds to the lost memories, your character doesn't even know what he/she looked like

Characters

Choice consequences for the main character, is a good thing to have in a game like this.

Lord Aegon, maybe he is good. The characters have amnesia... and there has to be a reason why. Plus you don't know if you really did commit a crime.

Features

I like them, it sounds like a true choice game.

As for the battle system, who could go wrong with side view?

Screenshots

The style of the characters and maps are beautiful to the eye.

I'll give the demo a play some time, keep up the good work! I'm sure this game will become something good.

3. DaneReid

@CorneredCosmos thanks for the positive feed back! I honestly thought that this probably won't be that good but now I'm motivated to move on!

I look forward to your feedback on the gameplay!

That Bread likes this.
  4. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did you have a version of the game without the RTP attached?  I'm showing 291 megs for the download.

EDIT: OH!~  Dude, you have a 213 meg compression of your game inside your game.

Might wanna take the link down and get one up there without the nested game, it will cut down on 3/4s your game size.

Character creation is not working well.  

First of all it doesn't show me the hair styles as choices when I pick them until the end result and then forces me to go back and redo the entire process.

Secondly if I am going to create a character, I don't seem to be able to pick anything important like class.

You could have easily edited the sprites to show them tied up with rope wrapped around.  It isn't that hard.  If you want I could even give you

the rope overlays to put on the little characters I made, then you can edit them on yourself.

The looping music you choose is so short for a crucial scene, it just doesn't fit.  

The jittering of the cart after a while just became annoying.  Once or twice is fine, but the constant motion is making me distracted

from what the people are saying.  Perhaps just between dialogue?

Of our freedom, not from our freedom.

In case is two words.

The skyrim cart ride didn't last this long.

20 mins of dialogue in the cart is a bit much.  Since most people make a judgement about a game in the first ten, this isn't a good introduction

as it isn't building atmosphere or giving people an impression as to what type of game you are making.  

All the forestlingers laugh.  Not laughing.  Also you can make behaviors to laugh.  Most of the time you seem to be describing what's happening

rather than making the characters do anything.

I believe they were all the guys who were bringing you to the Lord.  Why stop at that random one when there are so many dead bodies, and when there is

a fight where one of the captives got killed off the bat?  He won't find anything out the man wasn't telling him before.  He wasn't

exactly going to answer questions before the fight.

Cuts free should be, you cut yourself free.  I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Why is he asking himself "Who should I fight?" aloud?

K I have no skills, no specials, but I have MP and TP.  I'm forced to back and forth basic attack.  That's kinda boring.

Alright each time the enemy returns to his position on the battle scene he turns his back to me without turning around to face me.

It's been about 8 turns of normal attacking now.  Nothing is happening.

You was victorious.  Might wanna database change that to "were" if you're keeping the main character unable.

I'm very confused how without the element of surprise or any tactics these unarmored men without horses managed to subdue these armored knights with horses.

Or for that matter why they wanted to stop them at all, or if they were being robbed.  They made no mention of wanting money or anything.

Did I flash back to what the guy said before, is someone telepathically speaking to me?  Ok.

If you have multiple items per chest it's "xn were found", not was found for singular.

Slimes take no damage from me 3 times out of 4.  That's not good for a first enemy.

First battle basically was "No Damage" Dodge, "No Damage", Dodge...

Yeah all the enemies have their back turned to me and don't turn around when they return to their side of the field.

This forest has a lot of bridges for having absolutely no traffic in it.

I got to level 2, still no skills or abilities.  I also noticed when it becomes night it is much harder to see anything and while that is acurate 

the tint you are using doesn't mesh well with the overlay of the canopy.  This makes it twice as hard to see so I am constantly running into things.

You are now level 2, not you is now level 2.

Level 2 battle:  More dodging.  ><

The 20 second timer and being told to get out of here kinda irks me.  I don't know where I am going before whatever is shaking the screen.  I'm just told

to get out of here, without any explanation.  Am I being chased by something?

Okay I made it with 1 second to spare, and was forced off a cliff after a sigh of relief.  The game restarted after that.

I tried staying in the same map while the timer ran out, automatic game over with no explanation.

I'm confused as to what kinda story or game you are going for here.  There wasn't a skill system, or anything to test out.

EDIT: Second play through with different choices of dialogue, and the only choices you get are in the cart.  Same ending.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    DaneReid likes this.
  5. DaneReid

I'm confused as to what kinda story or game you are going for here.  There wasn't a skill system, or anything to test out.

EDIT: Second play through with different choices of dialogue, and the only choices you get are in the cart.  Same ending.
    Hey! Thanks for the feedback, I think will all that I could make this game much better, I'll respond to each comment you had on the game in order...

Character Creation: Yeah I know it's not that good! I'm definitely going to change that. That was just test version of creating a character. That won't stay the same for long :) as for choosing a class, there won't be a class system, why? Well because that will limit the type of game this is. Later on in the game your character will learn how to use a bow and arrow, magic skills, and even guns. So I think it'll be kinda of pointless to have a class system. What do you think about that?

Having each character graphic tied up, yeah that sounds like a great idea, seems pretty ridiculous when the characters say that they're tied up but you can't see that they're tied up right? lol

About the looping music, you think it'll be less annoying if the cut scene was shorter? Or should I just have a less repetitive song for that scene?

And was the jittering that annoying? Thought it would make it realistic since they are in a carriage and there would be constant rocking. But I could lessen the jittering.

The grammar issue i could fix right away. Thanks for pointing those out, I looked right passed those XD

I never played skyrim so I didn't even know there was a cart scene, I'll take that to consideration.

I also thought the cart scene was too long, how do you suggest I shorten it?

Thanks again for the grammar correction, and yeah, showing the guys laughing would be pretty cool, ill do that.

The guy that he/she stopped at wasn't random, it maybe have not looked like it but the main character recognizes the guy who was on the horse that was carrying them. So once he/she saw he was the only one not in battle, he instantly thought he/she instantly thought that he/she should go to him.

Asking who should he/she should fight was pretty stupid :p

As for no skills and specials, you have to remember that the main character doesn't remember anything, so even if he did have any specials he/she wouldn't remember it'll be kind of contradicting the story of the game if he's whoopin ass in the beginning. Also It's very early into the development, your character will learn skills very shortly after the whole forest thing. I will consider adding skills though, but I want to hear other peoples judgment on that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have to work on the battle system a bit more, idk why it does that. It's the tankentai side view battle system if you're familiar with that.

There were way more forestlingers than armored men. I think even with armor if you're out numbered, you're out numbered. I don't think it was that clear in the game so I will change that as well. Also yeah they kinda wanted whatever they had lol, illl make that more clear as well.

t'was a flash back.

okay xn I will change that.

slimes dodges a lot, I'll change that as well. Idk why it does that!

I'll see if I can change the enemies having their backs turned. Idk why it does that lol

forest has a lot of bridges, okay.

What are you suggesting for the tint? I agree that it doesn't go well with the tiles.

"You is now level 2." The reason why it does that because The characters name in the database is "You" lol i didn't consider that the text in battle would be all wacky.

20 second timer thing, yeah you're being chased by something, it would be a good idea for when it reaches 0 that something will pop out. But later in the game it's explained what's chasing you.

As for the choices, the choices you choose shouldn't change anything YET because you're still in the beginning of the game, and that part of it is very linear, eventually the choices you make will result in where you end up and so on...The people you've interacted with would remember what type of person you were in the carriage. So if you were a jerk to the guy/girl across from you, they won't be to nice to you and if you were nice to them, they would help you out in a lot of ways.
    Again thanks for the feedback. I probably won't go any further with this until it's perfect. 

6. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay here ya go:

I think that's a terrible idea for several reasons:

The first I mentioned before is no skills or abilities to start so you are forced to attack to kill enemies with a moderate encounter rate.  It wastes time and it's boring.  I am pretty sure I made that clear by now.

The second is that the "You" character has nothing, and isn't trying to establish an identity.  If you look at Skyrim or any other game where a character is running or you don't know who they are they quickly adapt.  Not because of lack of memory, but because people are trying to kill them.  They pick up everything.  They try anything.  They make sure to pick a set up skills or a handful to help them survive.  They prepare, and they make sure before they set out on the journey they know why they are doing it.

Survival seems to be the main part of your game.  Your main character goes deeper into the forest, and while that may seem like a good idea to avoid the armored knights they are all dead courtesy of the forestlingers, who's home you are invading.  It would be better to get to the open road and follow your fellow liberated captives.

Why doesn't You follow the others after the battle with Phylm?  Why am I not given that choice, or the choice of searching the corpse of the fallen captive?  I also can't search the other forest lingers, and dead knights for anything useful.  They look pretty well armed.

This is the part that can really change your game for the better, depending on how intelligent a decision is.  Searching those bodies after the first battle prepares you better.

And finally, you don't know who you are so why run?  If anything someone in the vicinity has seen those wagons near a town they passed.  Carriages don't go for days without food and water and your people were tied up.  So they couldn't have been traveling long.  This sort of logic will help you.

Okay.  I think that fully handles your first question.

Yes, it's a 5 minute job that will really help visually, and keep narrative low.  We're witnessing, not being told a story from the perspective of "You".

Do yourself a favor and look at a let's play of Skyrim they are everywhere.  First ten minutes will not kill you.  It's fantastic how much happens in so short a time and you need to keep the player interested.  Youtube has thousands of them with and without commentary.

Very easily.  Don't have more than one conversation.  Have them exit as soon or near his waking up.  Keeping the player there doesn't help anything.  People can talk outside the cart and you can see so much more going on, and learn who has your prisoner since you aren't told information yet everyone talks so much.

You need to learn that even if someone has amnesia they are never helpless or inable to learn.  People often pick up very quickly or have guy feelings about their abilities they lost.  There is no reason why he can't have a basic sword skill or learn a basic sword skill from Phylum after witnessing it. Even if I know nothing about a media or situation I learn by observation.  "You" is no different.  This is an average human skill.

The reason why it does that is because their luck, agi, and def is too high.  You can adjust them in the database.  It sounds like you left all the stats to the default and that is a big no no.  Go into enemy and adjust thier numbers to a bit lower.  Use the "You" as a guide, and make sure at level 1 their stats are lower than his so they get hit by him.  It's very simple.

It sounds like you need some basic tutorials.  You'll need to do some legwork to make some improvement, but if you are willing to spend the time it will be noticeable. That issues with the game compressed inside the game compression though needs to be handled immediately.  Don't put anything in the documents RPGVXACE folder "Your game name" you don't want us to have, and that's a lot of wasted time an bandwidth to get a game with no features.

Day and Night currently do nothing expect make it harder to see, there was no reason to include this at all.

Well yes, why have bridges if their are no forest lingers, and there are no people living there?  Make alternative methods to cross to have it appear more like wilderness or have him follow a trafficked path.  Something more obviously traveled.

Right now we've talked longer than your game actually lasts.  

You need to edit the overlay.  Either set the opacity lower for the canopy or remove it come nightfall.  You can also adjust the tint, and there are plenty of tutorials  on this site to help you with settings for tint and little tricks.  This is more leg work for you.  I cannot spoon feed you everything you need now in one sitting.

Okay but I can't get to anymore of the game, so why tell me?  It doesn't do me any good to know that happens later when you didn't include it and I cannot reach that point.  I cannot take your word for it, since the game is so unfinished anything can change.

You've got a bit of work ahead of you.  I highly recommend looking at some game making tutorials to help smooth some things out,

and take a look at making a feature meaningful.  Having night and day when the story at this point doesn't require it is a waste.

7. DaneReid

You've got a bit of work ahead of you. I highly recommend looking at some game making tutorials to help smooth some things out,

and take a look at making a feature meaningful. Having night and day when the story at this point doesn't require it is a waste.

Okay, a lot of the stuff you said makes sense and I will take them into consideration. Thank you.

The stuff that I didn't understand were just stuff I overlooked, I know how to fix them so a tutorial isn't necessary, I think this game just needs a lot of work, that's all.

P.S idk if it's just me but it seems like you were upset. But I couldn't really tell since this just text lol. If what I said earlier offended you then I apologize. It was not my intention . But if you weren't upset I also apologize for assuming that you were.

8. DaneReid

Sorry for double post, was a mistake on my phone and idk how to delete this post. 

9. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Er no.  I wasn't upset or communicated that in any way.  When I say something is boring, I mean just that.  There is no need to apologize nothing is wrong. Listing off what went arye doesn't mean I was angry, this is the criticism you wanted/needed, at least I hope it is.  

Glad we could clear that up.  Good luck to you.