Memorization?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by Personigo de la Ĉefo, Dec 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Personigo de la Ĉefo

Personigo de la Ĉefo Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    Russian
    Say, guys, is there any quick way for event to "memorize" things like skills character have and his stats? For example i want to make common event which will change character's skillset and stats and back, taking to account that these skills may vary.

2. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Edit: Sorry, I thought, the question was for ace: I just folowed the link from "recent topics" to this thread without checking.

Though I wonder if there isn't a similar method in XP.

Edit 2: I originally made my post thinking the question was about ACE and later edited it when I realized it was actually for XP. After doing some research (I.E- downloading the XP demo), I found out that everything I said still applies to XP, so here's my post again, with only a screenshoot change:

One of the options in the conditional branch menu allows you to check if an actor has learned a specific skill.

[​IMG]

It's not really "easy"... but I'm not sure if there's another way. By using a common event, you can perform that check with every skill he can learn and activate a switch for each positive, that way you'll be able to "remeber" what skills your character knows.

Aside from using a script, I think that's the easiest way.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why don't you make two actors then and switch between them (perhaps transfering some data when switching)? that way the inactive actor would be the one with the inactive set of skills and data to be used when you switch back.

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's definitely possible, but the difficulty depends on exactly what you're trying to do.  For stats, you can simply copy them to a variable using "Control Variables".  Skills are a little tricker.  You can copy each one to a Switch (Switch 38 = "Aluxes knows Fireball"), or you can use RGSS to copy the whole set of Skill IDs Learned to an array and then read it later.

5. Personigo de la Ĉefo

First Language:
    Russian
    I thought of that, but this way there weill be 2 actors... with 2 different levels.

I am kinda bad at scripting. I can edit some scripts, but i do not quite understand how they work and can't write any script by myself

Yeah, this is a very long and hard way to do that, since i plan on having something close to hundred skills that need to be swapped...

Well, anyway, thanks you all for help. I'll try to find other ways to do that aside from making hundreds of switches...

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's why I said to transfer data where needed - if the level is the only thing that should stay identical, use control variable to get the XP from the active actor, then switch actors, then check the XP difference and add it to the newly active actor - that process just needs two or three control variable commands and the change XP command.
    It'll still be some work, but less than the work to store and change hundreds of skills

7. Personigo de la Ĉefo

First Language:
    Russian
    Actually it'll be less work. Let me explain:

1 character. This character can "transform" into other forms, gainong new set of abilities.... BUT additionaly this character can learn abilities from different set and make current form learn it... Well, let's say it's something like persona 3/4, where you have personas with their set of skills and skill cards you can use on those personas for them to gain new skills