menu background filter

kentaromiura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Have you ever notice how the default menu background has a very faint, almost annoying around the text, blur?

Would you prefer having a proper 'frosted glass' effect blur?

What if my game is takes places in the past?

Or what if I want to give a 8bit atmosphere?

Well, I guess you've now an idea of what this plugin is about, but is it just for the title menu?

Of course not! let's say you want to give your game a touch of pop art

Ok, you got me, where can I find this plugin?

This plugin is hosted here:

https://github.com/kentaromiura/RPGMV-Plugins/blob/master/dist/js/plugins/kentaromiura_Menu_BackgroundFilters.js

just remember to click on the raw button before saving it :)

So how does this plugin works?

Once you loaded it in your project you'll find a list of filters available, all set by defaut to 0, this means that particular filter doesn't execute,

if you want to use any of the filter, just set them to 1, if you want you can control the order the filter are applied as, for example, the DotScreen filter makes everything b/w, running it after a sepia filter may not be a good idea, you want to run it first, so you just set that to 1 and the sepia one to 2, it doesn't matter the number as long as it's bigger

Okay, I think I get it, but what if I want to have different filters for different part of my game, for example I have a section where my hero see the past, how can I make only that part sepia?

Well, this plugin provides 4 commands, quoting the help:

Plugin Command

RemoveMenuBackgroundFilter $filter Removes the specif filter if exists

RemoveAllMenuBackgroundFilters Removes any filter applied

AppendMenuBackgroundFilter $filter Adds a filter at the end of the list

PrependMenuBackgroundFilter $filter Adds a filter at the begin of the list

where $filter can be any of the following:

Blur, BlurX, BlurY, ColorMatrix, ColorStep, CrossHatch, DotScreen, Gray,

Invert, Pixelate, RGBSplit, Sepia, Twist
using a combination of this you can create your personalised list of filters,

Is there any catch?

Alas, there is, this plugin works only where a gl context is supported, so ancient browsers (this includes not recent safari ios) are not supported, but it doesn't compromise anything, in those particular instance you just fallback on the default behaviour, so it's not a huge issue.

Here's you can check a table of where this is supported http://caniuse.com/#feat=webgl

enjoy :)

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for the plugin, kentaromiura! I've tried it now and it works! :)

Is there a way to invoke this using normal events outside the menu? Say for example, i want to have the blur and the gray filter applied whenever the player acquires an item from a treasure box or something.

But anyway, thanks again!

kentaromiura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the plugin, kentaromiura! I've tried it now and it works! :)

Is there a way to invoke this using normal events outside the menu? Say for example, i want to have the blur and the gray filter applied whenever the player acquires an item from a treasure box or something.

But anyway, thanks again!
Yes, in the case of your example you can call

AppendMenuBackgroundFilter Blur

AppendMenuBackgroundFilter Gray

if you want to remove all previous filters you can just call

RemoveAllMenuBackgroundFilters

before that, it should look like this

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@kentaromiura Yes that's the thing -- that was exactly the first thing i tried when i got a hold of this plugin. I tried using those plugin commands before a textbox call so that whenever the player opens up a treasure box the screen would blur and show a textbox but nothing happened. :/

And yes, i tried turning off every single plugin except for yours.

kentaromiura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@kentaromiura Yes that's the thing -- that was exactly the first thing i tried when i got a hold of this plugin. I tried using those plugin commands before a textbox call so that whenever the player opens up a treasure box the screen would blur and show a textbox but nothing happened. :/

And yes, i tried turning off every single plugin except for yours.
Oh, now I understand what you mean, no this plugin changes the background of menus only,

the textbox window doesn't use any menu window so you cannot do this using this plugin, sorry!

Edit:

What you want can be done with 

https://github.com/kentaromiura/RPGMV-Plugins/blob/master/dist/js/plugins/kentaromiura_SpriteSet_Filters.js

I quickly made this, so of course is quite untested apart for this:

It should work exactly like the other plugin as most of the code is the same, I'm not exactly sure if modifying the spriteset filters is a good idea

and there may be bug, feel free to post here if you find any

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyCat Media

Indie Game Purrfector
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Works like a charm. Thank you! 

No bugs so far, but i will report any to you if ever. :)

kentaromiura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Works like a charm. Thank you! 

No bugs so far, but i will report any to you if ever. :)
I feel like this may conflict with other plugins setting filters when all the filters has been removed, I'll look into it better later in the week and fix that problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.
Amazing. I had seen it more than 10 years ago, but seeing Monster this year was an incredible experience. It was certainly one of the best endings I've ever seen in anime.
It is so infuriating to know a package I ordered went right through my state possibly even through my town only to arrive at the fedex in another state, now at...”ready to be delivered” status. Sigh :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYOSS