Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello :)

I have a weird question about opening the menu. Is this a default feature of the engine when i repeatedly open the menu the FPS is dropping? I just want to know about that. Thank you for the response :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverskin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi,

I tried it out myself and kept spamclicking th menu (open & close), and there weren't any lags.

This is not due to any problems caused by the engine for sure.

I think it's about your hard / software (althought I have no knowledge at all in this field) ^^

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Although there is no apparent lag to the naked eye (on a decent computer), if you press F2 to open up the FPS meter and open up the menu - yes, you will notice an FPS drop unless you're using a state-of-the-art computer.  For me, it drops to about 30 FPS for a split-second, then returns to 60 fairly quickly.  This is because the main menu includes a reasonable amount of drawing for the system to do.  Could it be more efficient?  Almost certainly.  But it isn't too bad.

Repeatedly opening/closing the menu as fast as possible caused the FPS meter to drop to just below 20.  I'm guessing this is because it's still trying to do a bit of "catch up" on the first menu open (and the map refresh) when I trigger the second/third/etc.

You could diagnose what's causing this by adding debug messages to all the different parts of the menu display functions - see how many times each one has to trigger and how long it takes to run each one.  I certainly don't consider this important enough to spend my time doing so, but if performance is super-important to you, go for it!

Linard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could diagnose what's causing this by adding debug messages to all the different parts of the menu display functions

That's cool! maybe i should make that one. Thanks for this!

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, I have this issue too. It has been quite a few months since I have used RPG Maker much but I seem to think that Shaz's Cache Manager helped a little (not entirely) - it may help but I can't be sure. 

Edit: I think that I suffer more from this because my game is made up from Parallax layers and it has to draw them each time the menu is closed, that's causing my computer to implode when spamming the menu still so if anyone knows a solution that would be good to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who's a fan of firearms? The 5 on the bottom row (not including the green laser ones) I made pretty recently. I plan for most of these to be in my project.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 165924.png
Doing RPG Maker News for 28th September 2021

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reyeskhalifa32