Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I consider menu tutorials to be very important. To the typical RPG enthusiast, it may not be necessary, but there may be some others that need them.

How would you guys go about creating a menu tutorial? Forcing the player to read step-by-step instructions in-game would be a tad ridiculous. 

Any ideas?

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Tutorials, unless it's something vital that might cause a game over or the player to get stuck because of lack of information, shouldn't be forced on players.

I always like when the game gives you the option to read them or refuse, that WITHOUT giving that "you may regret refusing the tutorial later" vibe.

There's the option of always creating an NPC, or an option as some games does, for people to re-view the options of the menu in case they stop playing for a while (which I also find very helpful).

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, personally I always just skip long-winded menu explanations with step by step obvious instructions.

I guess it depends on the complexity/functionality of the menu and what you need to teach the player.

I believe trying to make menus as intuitive as possible is very important. One thing I try to do is unlock or introduce functionality during the game a little bit at a time to not overwhelm players all at once.

DavidFoxfire

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Dittos here.  I'd probably just pop up a window or a series of windows describing what to do with a menu feature once it becomes important in-game.

Of course, I'm waiting for EST's Notebook plugin to come to MV, so I'll have on-game instructions.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I always like when the game gives you the option to read them or refuse, that WITHOUT giving that "you may regret refusing the tutorial later" vibe..
That drives me nuts. Haha. I always go through the tutorials in games out of fear for losing something later, whether it be an item or a piece of dialogue.

Yeah, personally I always just skip long-winded menu explanations with step by step obvious instructions.

I guess it depends on the complexity/functionality of the menu and what you need to teach the player.

I believe trying to make menus as intuitive as possible is very important. One thing I try to do is unlock or introduce functionality during the game a little bit at a time to not overwhelm players all at once.
I always want to skip, but because of what I mentioned above... I usually go through them.  :guffaw:

Dittos here.  I'd probably just pop up a window or a series of windows describing what to do with a menu feature once it becomes important in-game.

Of course, I'm waiting for EST's Notebook plugin to come to MV, so I'll have on-game instructions.
Pop-up windows would be interesting. Little ques and tidbits of info to help guide the player. Problem is making those popups in the menu. I'll have to browse the MV plugins.

Thanks for the input guys.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So many ideas, so little energy.
SA57Face.pngSA57_IDLE.gifThis is just a "Chinese opera actor" who is totally not a serial killer. Now, we just need to clean up a pile of dead bodies found in his backyard. :kaojoy:
E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
still not finished though...
alpacaraptors = love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleszarz