Message Event System

AndreWharn-Official

Indie Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Basically, I'm projecting on doing a message event system, because I suck on scripting so I want to make it by common events. (don't worry, I know how and what I'm doing)
I thought on making it by a variable called "text" (that's where I will write the message), then with conditional branches I want to check if that variable has a specific letter or number, like "a" (downcase) or "A" (uppercase), and if it has it, a picture of the letter a/A will show, the position picture's position depends on the position of the letter in the variable... but is that even possibile? I mean, is possibile to check if a variable has a specific letter on it and it's position?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes (just look up string functions for the correct version of Ruby). But that's going to be a massive event system, and probably will run slowly due to all the conditional branches it has to go through.

AndreWharn-Official

Indie Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yes (just look up string functions for the correct version of Ruby). But that's going to be a massive event system, and probably will run slowly due to all the conditional branches it has to go through.
Yeah... you're right. Do you think is there any more efficient way to do it?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Script :)

Seriously though, you haven't actually said WHAT your "message event system" is. What does it do? Why/how is it different to XP's message system? If you just want more flexible messaging, Ccoa's UMS is the go-to for XP.

AndreWharn-Official

Indie Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Script :)

Seriously though, you haven't actually said WHAT your "message event system" is. What does it do? Why/how is it different to XP's message system? If you just want more flexible messaging, Ccoa's UMS is the go-to for XP.
Yeah I actually wanted to inspire from that script. I'm not a scripter, and I can't use that script because it cannot be used in commercial games. So I thought I'll make one by my own, I'm experienced on making event systems, but a message system is actually complicated. So idk, I kinda ask for help on doing that, but I don't think it can be good on events. Oh well, I guess I'll find another way then...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as mentioned above for a lot of what a message system does, you'll need script commands.
it is simply impossible to replicate all functions of a message system with event commands alone.

so I suggest you ask around for a message system that can be used commercially, because everything else would require you to learn how to use script functions, and once there it would probably be easier to write your own message system in script than to event it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yo Ho Ho... Time flies when you are having rum...

I'm rewatching Glee, just watched grilled cheesus.
Now I'm not sure if I'm hungry or I want to cry.
I just completed Ara Fell - completing the game unlocks an Epilogue. An interesting thing to possibly consider for my games.
I decided to try to make a mucha-styled artwork, and by now I've sunk more time in studies and sketches than I usually do in the whole thing. Fingers crossed it's worth it!
Since we have a lot of new faces, please be sure to read the forum rules under the Help tab at the top. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quimey