lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
NOTICE: I am aware of plugins that already exist to do something similar, however, I am making a plugin for survival needs (Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, Oxygen, Sanity, Radiation, Temperature) and I would like an integrated system to display these floating text above the character's heads. Please do not suggest "Use <plugin> instead?" type responses.

The Request:
I am not yet confident in my abilities to work with sprites and windows, but I am accomplishing the rest of the plugin just fine. What I would like to hopefully acquire are Sprite and Window methods to add to the current plugin to create a simple text that floats above the character (and followers if visible - and when applicable) for an allotted time when a request is called.
  • The requests must be able to be queued (Ex: ["You are hungry","You are thirsty"] -> The first will show for the allotted timer, (.shift() method I assume) and then show the next one for the allotted timer, and so on).
  • The request's allotted time in seconds (converted to frames obviously in the method) Example: $gamePlayer.requestAlertText("text", 5) -> displays for 5 seconds (300 frames))
  • If possible, would like small text appropriate for the character size (see mock-up screenshot)
I am not looking for a full plugin, just the methods (tested and working) to implement into the current plugin (survival). Need just the methods to setup the alert, the sprite(s) and window (if necessary) to position and display the text. "drawTextEx" is not required - or even needed in this scenario.

Terms of Use:
The plugin itself is going to be free for use, commercial or not, with credit (to both myself and the assistance of whoever takes up this request).

Mockup (Note: Text was used from cooltext.com, my image editing software wouldn't allow me to edit the text outline):
General notes: Small text, small outline, visible.
Example.png

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just a small bumparoonie. Still looking for anyone who might be able to take up this request ^_^

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can use a scriptcall to set this up, but do it every time, would be painfull,
but to make it simpler, I wish I could help you.

However, if you have some knowledge, you can try look into popups when getting
getting an item, and see if you can revert it to get text popup when a variable or
whatever is lower than 5.

PS:
the image you show if it's for the actual map you have, make the stairs 1 tile longer for
a more natual look :)

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
you can use a scriptcall to set this up, but do it every time, would be painfull,
but to make it simpler, I wish I could help you.

However, if you have some knowledge, you can try look into popups when getting
getting an item, and see if you can revert it to get text popup when a variable or
whatever is lower than 5.

PS:
the image you show if it's for the actual map you have, make the stairs 1 tile longer for
a more natual look :)
Well I'm thinking it might be able to be done with 1-2 Sprite classes (and-or 1 Window) but am having trouble in how to make it.. hence why I am asking if anyone else is willing to give it a go. Which I know might be asking a lot, but it's kind of a "Wishlist" if anything else.

As for the map, it's just for testing purposes of the Survival plugin. It's layout is not important :p

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you want it simple and it can work out, you can also use image above the players head
and fade that out (just a suggestion), but the idea is really nice, specially if you dont
have a hud visible "actorname is on low hp" or similair.

I hope someone can make it work for you.

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
if you want it simple and it can work out, you can also use image above the players head
and fade that out (just a suggestion), but the idea is really nice, specially if you dont
have a hud visible "actorname is on low hp" or similair.

I hope someone can make it work for you.
Sorry for long reply. I would rather not rely on pictures, drawn text would suffice, although they're just for flavor. There will be a HUD that will display the needs (as you'd might see from a typical survival game. This was more as a secondary indicator (coupled with a SFX) to alert the player in case they weren't paying attention to the main HUD lol

And if THAT doesn't get their attention, well then I guess their character's goinna die :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh no. That moment when you try to fix something you modified in your game, like, a year ago but didn't want to fix then, and you now have no idea what you even did. Me right now, trying to figure out why my gold window is over stretched?
LittlePIGGY wrote on atreyoray's profile.
Where are you TT^TT
We need ARP_InGameManual for MZ
Oh my gosh. Thank you, Macy's! Thank you so much! You have made me very happy!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I no longer have PTSD, and that I get to enjoy a good meal with my mom and stepdad! It might not be the same as before COVID, but at least I still get to enjoy the holiday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eryndor