Microsoft's CodePush

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hi there,

Microsoft have a tool called CodePush that might be useful for RPG Makers - http://microsoft.github.io/code-push/

Basically, it allows your apps, after deployment, to 'check in' with a central server and see if you have deployed any updates. If you have, they download the patches and apply them to the app itself without having to do a full update from the relevant app store.

This is relevant to MV because MV uses JS/cordova for mobile deployment, so we can use CodePush. Also, MV's deployment sizes are pretty big - who wants to download 100+ mb of data for a tiny bugfix patch to your game? With CodePush, we can make those kinds of updates seamless and quick. Best part? Since the majority of game data is stored as simple JSON, we can update maps, database settings and all that jazz through this also.

In order to use it, we'll have to modify our game's entry point a bit. Perhaps a plugin can do this, or if not a separate app that 'bootstraps' the process onto the front of our RPG Maker game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soryn

The Waffle King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Should probably be in the program/utility discussion forum as it's not really a MV support issue but a 3rd party platform integration issue. But that being said, for windows based releases, this might prove useful in the future. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah yeah, I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the layout of these forums. I was looking for a 'RPG Maker MV General' forum or similar.

Soryn

The Waffle King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah yeah, I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the layout of these forums. I was looking for a 'RPG Maker MV General' forum or similar.
You and me both... wish it existed... would help tidy up sections like these.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today I drove through my city of 100,000+ people during rush hour and the streets were nearly empty. Just so I could go get my favorite burger. There a dental assistant (she said that's her other job, even though I didn't ask) took my order and handed me a burger. I know it's bad out there... But wow, she's either atrocious with her money, or "it really be like that".
Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowdmember2