Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can someone please link me to info on how I can "gift" purchases to other steam members? I have bought copies and would like to give them to my kiddos. Thanks.
Go on your inventory page on steam (e.g. for me it would be by mousing over Scythuz and then pressing inventory from the drop-down menu), then find your spare copies of whatever you want to send and click 'send gift'.  Then you can choose to gift it directly through steam or via email.  PM me if you still need more help with this so that we don't derail the thread too much :)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Shopping List! =] Whatta bargain at $32.43! $27.98

Page 1

Rpg Maker 2003 $9.99

Fantastic Buildngs Medieval $2.99

Pixel Myth Germania $5.99

Zombie Survival Graphic Pack $4.49 oops lol I didn't know I already had it!

sci fi battlebacks $2.99

Page 3

Tales of the Far East $2.99

Winter Wonderland $2.99

Stuff that REALLY tempts me....

Page 1

To Luna Engine or not to Luna Engine??? $8.99

Page 2

Old School Modern $1.79 (!!!Granny, control yourself!!!)

Page 4

Valentines Tile Pck $4.99 (!Granny, things are getting out of hand!)

People, the Samurai Resource Pack is $3.99 - that set has some serious battlers!

/me goes and burns some credit card dust

Last edited by a moderator:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think, I want to get samurai classic music pack. I never realized how beautiful it is

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I got the Luna Engine, and it seems well worth it. :)
Jackus, you tipped me over the edge; I got all my top wish list items plus I can play with Luna Engine this summer. =]

I think, I want to get samurai classic music pack. I never realized how beautiful it is
I am greedy. =]

After I play with all my new goodies I want to go back and check out more music packs. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I sort of want to get Luna Engine, but I'm deterred by just how many people are saying that the "little to no programming knowledge" quote is quite a stretch. I'm new to Maker and have zero programming knowledge. I do, however, have a GUI in mind that I want for my demo project (Not to be confused with my first game project.)...

I wonder when something like it will go on sale again should I choose to skip it this time around...

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I sort of want to get Luna Engine, but I'm deterred by just how many people are saying that the "little to no programming knowledge" quote is quite a stretch. I'm new to Maker and have zero programming knowledge. I do, however, have a GUI in mind that I want for my demo project (Not to be confused with my first game project.)...
In the manual, it teaches you everything you need to know, and I think it is well worth the price it's at now.

I wonder when something like it will go on sale again should I choose to skip it this time around...
Judging by what SteamPrices.com has on it's graph, you'd have to wait about a Year.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was hoping to pick up Rebel Rapture, but it isn't on the Steam store yet - and the giveaway api isn't really gelling with me xD (The chances of winning are minimal anyway, let alone for that specific pack)

I'll be picking up Retroperspective though. Everything else I want is new! :p

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I sort of want to get Luna Engine, but I'm deterred by just how many people are saying that the "little to no programming knowledge" quote is quite a stretch.
No, the quote is quite correct - you need little to noprogramming knowledge.

However, that does not mean that you can magically create any GUI you want, that still takes work and planning - and more than five minutes of that...

To compare:

without LUNA, someone needs to know how to program in Ruby, needs to know where in the RM Engine the data is hidden and even with that needs at least one or two weeks of work just to enter minimal changes that are already planned elsewhere.

with LUNA, all data entries are on a few configuration pages and there is no need to program graphical elements yourself, so you'll need about one or two days for entering the preplanned data.

Both variants need the user to plan the GUI - something that usually takes another week for a simple GUI, or two or three weeks for massive changes. But that planning does not need programming knowledge, just mathematics (count how many pixels you have for each element) and artistic work (if you need pictures).

And a lot of people confuse that planning with programming or believed that the LUNA engine can magically read their mind to set everything correct within seconds - that is impossible even with LUNA, but LUNA reduces the workload of making a GUI by 80%-90%.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Andar: I fully agree with that, even with Luna, you still need to plan and create, but it's all nicely organized for quick acces, which makes it a whole lot easier to make your own Menus.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar Just as long as the manual has descriptions of what the necessary scripts do, I'd benefit. I'm regrettably one of those types who... Learn best by watching videos and doing things along with the instructors (And then trial and error modifications to customize further... Once I have an "aha" about the basic principle.) I did read that the area of tutorials was lacking there for Luna Engine and I was tempted to buy it still until I started reading reviews about basic programming knowledge being a must. I of course have not a single qualm about putting in work... But those Steam user reviews and some of the comments here on the Luna Engine section are troubling to potential customers who are Maker "newbies". 

However, there is something I want to make clear:

The example projects included in the engine ARE NOT what you see in the screenshots, unfortunatley. In addition, some of the examples don't work properly, right out of the box.

So if you want it to be exactly as you see in the pictures, you have to do it manually!
What doesn't work and why? 

And one more question before I make up my mind...

As my skill in programming strengthens, will Luna Engine become more so useless or will its programs ever and always make any sort of complex GUI edit easier? I'm asking because of a few remarks on the reviews again... I cannot understand why some say the program isn't as useful as a core like it sports... Than creating their own from scratch, or why someone would rather program from scratch... Is it because of the compatibility issues with other scripts?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, hahhaha. I just want to make sure that A. I can start learning to use this right away. B. The examples aren't so bugged/complex that it would make it impossible to learn "how do I do that?" and C. It won't go completely obsolete on me after a year or so...

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
As far as I can see, there is a section for advanced code, so you can make amzing menus normally, but when you learn a bit more Ruby, you can make even better Menus, using the advanced sections.

And yes, the Manual is very descriptive on everything you need to know to get started.

Also, the examples seemed to work for me.. ;)

EDIT:

I entirely agree with Dread's Review.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot understand why some say the program isn't as useful as a core like it sports... Than creating their own from scratch, or why someone would rather program from scratch... Is it because of the compatibility issues with other scripts?
There is a difference between a GUI script and a HUD script, and LUNA is "only" a GUI-script. That means it can display all the values that are native to Ace, but it does not have options for completely new values.
Which means that any scripts that add completely new functions or values can become problematical.

And as soon as you need to write or modify scripts to add your own new values or screens, it's usually easier to do a completely new HUD for yourself.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh boy. I want so many packs, but I can only pay 5 euros once per some day.

I want to buy one of these packs and I can't decide which:

1. Samurai Resource Pack (for a future project).

2. Dungeon Music Pack.

3. GCH: Second Story

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
What doesn't work and why?
It's usually people not reading the manual and keep using Luna Engine Script List Complete that DOESN'T run because of missing pictures and being an list of all the scripts that shouldn't even be together in one project since it's one feature or the other. The Sample projects work fine, there was one point we had an update and accidentally broke ONE sample project in the process (and it was fixed ages ago). But some people don't let it die.

Just try the sample demo I have here and see if it's your liking: https://divisionheaven.wordpress.com/scripts/luna-engine/

Here's an example configuration that you have to do in Luna. IF this mindboggles you and think it's programming, it might be better that you don't buy it.

Code:
STATUS_WINDOW = {      # -----------------------------------------------------------------      # :x refers to the horizontal axis. Based on the Cartesian Plane.       # Negative values (e.g. -1) mean they would move to the left, while       # Positive values mean they would move to the right.      # -----------------------------------------------------------------      :x          =>  160,             # -----------------------------------------------------------------      # :y refers to the horizontal axis. Based on the Cartesian Plane.       # Negative values (e.g. -1) mean they would move up, while       # Positive values mean they would move to the down.      # -----------------------------------------------------------------      :y          =>  0,               # -----------------------------------------------------------------      # :z refers to the item’s display priority. Think of it as layers when       # you use an image program or when mapping in RPG Maker. The higher the       # value, the higher it will be drawn/drawn above other items.      # -----------------------------------------------------------------      :z          =>  200,             :width      =>  480,       # Change the width of the window.      :height     =>  416,       # Change the height of the window.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is Insanely simple compared to customization I have left in some scripts.

My customization example:

Taken from a system that allows you to input cheat codes.

Code:
  #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------  # ☆ Cheat::Code[:cheating_is_baaddd__mkaayyyy]  #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------  # You may not want all cheat codes to reward the player.   # This cheat will create a file to inform the player how bad cheating actually   # is. It will then proceed to open the file an inordinate amount of times.   # This is to ensure the user fully understands -> Cheating is bad, M'Kay?   #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------  Code[:cheating_is_baaddd__mkaayyyy] = {    type: :trigger,    keys: [:R,:X,:Y,:RIGHT,:UP]*2,    call: Proc.new do       # Makes File      badaray = [*'a'..'z'] + [*'A'..'Z']      badstrg = "CHEATING IS BAD, M'KAY ??"      badmkay = "badmkay.txt"      File.open(badmkay,"w") do |file|        999.times do |id|          if (rand > 0.5)           file << badstrg          else           file << (0..rand(99)).reduce("") { |r| r << badaray.sample }         end       end     end     # Launches Notice to cheater.     # make vbadstr true to open all notepads at once.     # Personally, I think having to close one at a time is more inconvenient.      vbadstr = false ? "start " : ""     vbadkay = "#{vbadstr}notepad #{badmkay}"     99.times { system badmkay }   end,  }

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Yeah, compared to stuff like that, Luna is very simple and only needs basic programming abititlies to use.

@Dekita: I like that cheat code :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Archeia I understood that sample customization you posted in the thread, but I haven't gotten the chance to download the lite engine yet. I'll probably end up buying anyway.

@Dekita I even understood some of that code. Haha Gave me a laugh.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea - I would also say that luna is incredibly easy to use. ^_^

Lol, thanks. There are more interesting cheat codes in the actual script - such as one to open 'adult' websites - fun times. ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:
If you could fold a sheet of paper 42 times, the stack would reach from the earth to the moon. Do whatever you want with that information.
wishing that everyone stays safe at this time
Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FoxStyle