[Minecraft] Microsoft Bought Mojang. Your thoughts and feelings?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If they rewrote Minecraft that would be amazing. I know some people hate this idea but most of their dicking around is rewriting little bits and peices at a time. If they did it all once and took a 1 year MIA break things would be a lot better for the long run. Not only that they don't need to rewrite it twice since it would be in C# just like all the other platforms are written in now.
It would be lovely if it was rewritten, as it may help them to avoid many more headaches down the line. Plus, I know Java is an easy language mod-wise, but having to learn c sharp to code for Minecraft may reduce the number of poor-quality mods in the long run, and improve employment prospects for those who bother to learn the industry standard code.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
People, C# is not better than Java in my opinion......yet.

That's the case.

C# is a baby language (still gets patched a lot) and also not as cross platform as Java is.

A C# port would not be a smart move, but a risky one.

I can understand such a move though, since nobody wants to depend on another company's technologies.

Thing is I am afraid of such a possibility, while truth to be told C# matures faster than any other language. 

So let's see what will happen.

Hotfirelegend you are right on what you said except one thing. C# is not an industry standard (except of you refer to MS by telling industry. In that case my bad, sorry). It's far from a standard. C++ and Java are the standards at the moment, with but yes C# is promoted to be a next 10 years dominant programming language for apps, so you are right. I can understand your point.  :)   :thumbsup-right:

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Generally, if they reprogram it to be a Microsoft-centric code, I could see a reprogram happening. It'd take a long time, though.

Otherwise, a point is that it should be made into a better language, not necessarily the industry standard or whatever - just one that can handle all the different elements of the game better than Java can. If Java is fine in this regard, and it's just old coding bloating it up, the same applies - a reprogram in Java.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
though if it would be recoded, it will probably be C#, because Microsoft

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a bit mixed on this, because this has the potential for disaster. On one hand, Microsoft become minecraft gods because of how well they manage it, on the other, they become the minecraft version of satan from how badly they Frick things up.

However, by doing this, they put a lot of risk on themselves. If they screw up, they will have thousands, perhaps millions, of really ticked off fans telling them off for ruining Minecraft. (Though, there's liable to be some for the simple fact that they might hate Microsoft.)

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I work retail; I have had so many customer complaints about Microsoft's own Customer Service it is ridiculous. I hope they up their agents or whomever they use or set a side a small team for MC just for it. Because of their mishandling and sending customers back to my store for THEIR issues I am worried that it will happen to new customers for MC, or if they make a MC2 that everyone has speculated. That will be far more headaches I can see. Other than that just about everyone has touched bases with many thoughts and concerns about free updates, re-coding, modding, costs, etc. 

Dragonspeech

Lady Dragoness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well this does seem like a step in the right direction! Alright, I'll give them some actual credit. I do have hopes now.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well this does seem like a step in the right direction! Alright, I'll give them some actual credit. I do have hopes now.
Yes it seems they might do something right. At least that's how it looks.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like I say on a ton of forums and sites. If Microsoft did something dumb like Paid DLC or paid update that it will end up in a disaster. If they release Minecraft 2 without any improvement than the first game. (like new engine, Non-java engine, etc..) It will end up in a disaster.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Like I say on a ton of forums and sites. If Microsoft did something dumb like Paid DLC or paid update that it will end up in a disaster. If they release Minecraft 2 without any improvement than the first game. (like new engine, Non-java engine, etc..) It will end up in a disaster.
So basically they can't release a MC 2 without a disaster? (Unless you meant MC2 should not have a java engine, in which case, I agree)

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Minecraft is largely a sandbox game for its community, which makes me wonder how exactly they are going to turn it a good movie without having characters just flying and building stuff? They could go with "single player" survival mode but how many actually play that over the mods and how exactly that would work out.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_People3_3 added!
index.php

ScreenShot_1_3_2022_1_32_12.png
I feel QSprite for MV is underrated. I basically am able to use my chibi sideview battlers I drew on the maps and have all the motions available. this'll help a lot with cutscenes.
I've figured out how to reasonably tall-ify chibi sprites on my editor. I like that making tall sprites gives me control on expressing how tall characters seem on the field relative to each other as well as better differentiate adult sprites from child sprites.
doing some wacky experimental stuff in MV right now :kaoluv: I cannot wait to drop what I've been working on
Doing RPG Maker News for this week. (January 14th - 20th, 2022)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
000dsdsc