メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Mini Map (ver 0.2.0)
Hajime Hoshi

Introduction

Do you remember you can see a mini map at a field in Final Fantasy 6? My plugin (HajimeHoshi_MiniMap.js) does the same thing.

Features

This plugin shows a mini map at a map that has <mini_map> meta data. The mini map is generated automatically from the map data on the fly.

Screenshots

The red point indicates the player's current position.

How to use

Download and install the plugin (see Script clause). Add <mini_map> to the note of the map where you want to show a mini map. That's it!

If you want to toggle/move/enlarge a mini map: a mini map is a kind of special picture, and you can manipulate a mini map in the same way as pictures! (The default ID is 90 and you can change this via the parameter). The difference between regular pictures and the mini map picture are:

* The mini map picture is shown at the initial state (and you can erase this anytime).

The mini map picture image is set automatically and you cannot change this. If the map doesn't have <mini_map> in its note, a transparent image is set.

* A current position (a red point) is shown on the map.

Demo

Here is the playable demo: http://tkoolmv.net/Games/hajimehoshi/mini_map_demo/

Script

https://github.com/hajimehoshi/rpgmmv/blob/master/HajimeHoshi_MiniMap.js

FAQ

Q. Is it possible to change colors, sizes, or positions?

A. Yes! Use picture commands for this.

Q. Can I add pins to the map?

A. I recommend you add pictures representing pins. The pin pictures' ID should be more than the mini map picture ID. I'm planning to add a feature for pins as plugin commands, but I cannot say when it finishes.

Q. Is this available for commercial use?

A. Yes. This plugin is licensed under Apache License 2.0.

History

2015-11-25T23:24+09:00: Bug fix: The mini map should draw a tile as walkable if the tile is passable at least in one direction.

2015-11-25T11:25+09:00: Bug fix: The red point was placed slightly wrongly.

2015-11-25T01:00+09:00: (Ver 0.2.0) Now a mini map has become a (special) picture!

2015-11-23T17:22+09:00: Bug fix: spirals should be treated as water.

2015-11-23T14:00+09:00: Bug fix: event test didn't work.

2015-11-22T16:57+09:00: Bug fix: a red point was present at the upper left corner of the screen.

2015-11-22T14:19+09:00: Changed the mini map size: the mini map size is automatically adjusted. Fixed some bugs (iceberg was treated as mountain, but should be treated as water).

2015-11-22T12:55+09:00: Swapped the color of the land and the mountain: Now the color is ordered according to its hight (mountains are higher than field, so mountains should be rendered in brighter color than field). This is the same way as FF7 or later.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Due to my own work in minimap creation (I have a plugin that makes the maps but doesn't display them), I would recommend a fourth color for cliffs and other tiles that can only be passed in certain directions (it certainly looks a lot better on my own maps than not having it.)

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What are the terms of use for this? Free for commercial use or just non-commercial?

Suzio Uwabami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is there a way to make the map bigger for smaller maps? Because at the moment it looks like you can just use it for massive world maps. But I divide my world maps, and also would like to use the map in towns 

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
DUDE! This is awesome! As soon as I get home I am testing this out! You're awesome. 'Nuff said. :)

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Due to my own work in minimap creation (I have a plugin that makes the maps but doesn't display them), I would recommend a fourth color for cliffs and other tiles that can only be passed in certain directions (it certainly looks a lot better on my own maps than not having it.)
Do you mean http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49697-jays-minimap-maker/? That's awesome. Let me consider.

EDIT: My plugin already has a color for cliffs. Do you mean a forth color for damage tiles?

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Is there a way to make the map bigger for smaller maps? Because at the moment it looks like you can just use it for massive world maps. But I divide my world maps, and also would like to use the map in towns 
Good suggestion. I'll try to enlarge the map for small maps. Thank you.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Now the mini map size is adjusted automatically to be 184px, whatever the original map's size is.

Chaos_Prime

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm having a bit of an oddity with this, while I have it set in there is a red dot in the upper left corner of the screen.

Not sure why it would be doing this.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
I'm having a bit of an oddity with this, while I have it set in there is a red dot in the upper left corner of the screen.

Not sure why it would be doing this.
Reproduced when the game starts with a map that doesn't have <mini_map>, and fixed it. Thank you for reporting!

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Huh? *looks* Aha, little miscommunication. For my plugin, "Cliff" means a tile that can be passed in some directions, but not all of them. You seem to use it to mean "impassable tiles that aren't water". The first meaning is what I meant.
Aha, English is hard. Now I understood. Yeah, drawing cliff in a different color seems a good idea, while I think cliff is not used in 'overworld' maps so much. My mini map plugin can be used for any maps, but the main use case is for overworld maps, and the default overworld tileset doesn't include cliffs (Did you create an original tileset for overworld map to use cliffs?). So, I'll reconsider when this becomes a great demand.

HeroicJay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, I just threw the Outside_A4 tiles into the World tileset. Because I wanted cliffs on my world map. :) They work surprisingly well.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice job hajimehoshi!  This is so simple to use and very effective.  Is there any way to only get the map to show up if there's a certain skill or item used (like a map skill or map item for example?)  If there is I can't seem to find out how.  Thank you.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Nice job hajimehoshi!  This is so simple to use and very effective.  Is there any way to only get the map to show up if there's a certain skill or item used (like a map skill or map item for example?)  If there is I can't seem to find out how.  Thank you.
Thanks. I'm afraid there is no feature as you mentioned. I prefer simplicity and I have no plan to do so until the demand is strong.

Of course, you can fork and modify my plugin as you like.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand, it's great as a standalone either way.  I'll find a work around.  I am halfway decent at modification so I also appreciate your permission to do so.  Best wishes and thank you again. 

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks good but can you add a feature that allows us to mark certain map events with tags?

Like <pinpoint green> at the beginning of a page event will display that event location in the mini-map as a green dot.

Also, a switch to hide/show mini-map would be appreciated as well. Hopefully, it's not too much to ask xD

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Looks good but can you add a feature that allows us to mark certain map events with tags?

Like <pinpoint green> at the beginning of a page event will display that event location in the mini-map as a green dot.
Yes, I have a plan to do this because I need this for my personal use. This feature will be implemented as plugin commands to add/remove pinpoints.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aweeeesoooome :D !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsterwave18