Mini Map

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
On second thought, pins can be implemented by pictures feature. If you cannot wait for me, please use pictures.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've tested your demo and looks really amazing!

Would be awesome if you make these features:

• Increase the minimap size by 2 and display a big minimap it in the center of the screen by pressing two different keys (Keyboard/Pad), or by pressing one of the buttons located in a corner of the minimap (Mouse/Touch). If the option to display the buttons is enabled, three buttons will be shown on the minimap, which can be an icon or a individual image file. One button will toggle the map size by 2 (increase/decrease), another button will do that the minimap becomes big and is placed on the center of the screen with a set transparency defined inside the plugin options, and another button will hide/unhide the minimap (see point 3 below for more information).
  • Grant the choice to only use one button/key, and when the button is pressed several times, depending of the options that you enabled in the plugin:
  1. The minimap size is increased by 2.
  2. The minimap size becomes big and is placed in the center of the screen displayed with a transparency defined inside the plugin.
  3. The minimap becomes hidden and until you press the key again, the minimap will remain hidden. If the button option is enabled, an icon or image for enable the minimap will be displayed in a defined position of the screen (left-up, left-center, left-down, down-center, right-down, right-center, right-up, up-center) this is defined by a number in the plugin (1~8).
If you didn't understood something, please send me a private message (my english is bad).

Last edited by a moderator:

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Thank you for your suggestion. If I tried to implement this, it would be plugin commands to change the mini map's position and size, but I'm afraid I have no plan to do that so far. I recommend you use HeroicJay's mini map because his mini map is just an image file and you can do any transform to a mini map with picture commands.

jackseg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
I Like this plugin.

Simple and perfect for my project. Thanks.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
EDIT: OH! My fault, the minimap your are saying doesn't require a file, anyways, I leave my post due the new fuctions suggestions!

Thank you for your suggestion. If I tried to implement this, it would be plugin commands to change the mini map's position and size, but I'm afraid I have no plan to do that so far. I recommend you use HeroicJay's mini map because his mini map is just an image file and you can do any transform to a mini map with picture commands.
That is not the same like your minimap, your minimap has the advantage of no require to export large files which greatly increases the size of the game, because just by map image files the game size, specially if is going to be a big project, can weight over 500mb, and that's an issue if you are going to make a mobile or web browser game.

EDIT: Yes, forget what I said, doesn't require extra files, but anyways please continue reading this post.

I forgot to tell that the function of display a big map exists on FF7, if you press Select, the map goes big and is centered in your screen with a set transparency so you can continue traveling with Cid's Airship with the big minimap. Don't mind the double size minimap, but at least the big map centered in the screen by pressing a key or a button displayed somewhere (for mobile games) and hide map would do your plugin perfect, apart of it and the function of display events in the minimap which you told already that you are going to implement this, will do your plugin brilliant.

I think that might be a bit difficult to do what I'm suggesting, but consider that if the big size and hide map function are implemented, your plugin will be one of the bests (if not the best because requires no extra files) to be used in most projects, and due this reason, is also perfect for display the minimap in all maps by default without require to write <mini_map> in every map, and make also another tag called <no_mini_map> for don't display the minimap on maps with that notetag when the plugin is configured to show the minimap on all maps by default.

In addition, would be good to make those plugin command to be used in events:

1. hide_minimap: This command hides the minimap, if used again, it does not show the map, this is to avoid display the map again unintentionally.
  2. display_minimap: Same as point 1 but for display it.
  3. disable_minimap: Restricts the use of the minimap, this is good for cutscenes or maps where you don't want allow the use of the function, or also for do that you must get an special item for allow the use of a minimap, this can be used on parallel or automatic events combined with the hide_minimap/display_minimap commands, and switches/variables for example.
  4. enable_minimap: Same as point 3, but for enable the use of minimap instead of disable it.

A minimap plugin that requires a image file is good if you want to display the real map or a customized image as minimap, but if you want a simple minimap with three colors and colored dots for the events and player position, then your plugin is the best choice, not only gets you away the extra work of export image files and modify the colors, also helps in reduce the size of your project which is especially appreciated if the plugin is going to be used on projects for mobile-games, also the size is determined automatically which is specially good for games where the player can choice different screen resolutions, and if you make the functions that I'm suggesting, then your plugin deserves 10 stars out of 5.

I will be honest, I want to use your plugin in my project, but I need those extra functions, and I'm sure that these extra functions will be useful not only for me but for everyone that also uses your plugin, and if someone doesn't need these extra functions they can just don't use them and/or disable them inside the plugin manager as long you provide the option to disable the functions of big sized map, hide map, and display minimap by default.

I hope see these extra functions of your plugin in the future!  :D

Aidensmercy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Great plugin!

is there any way to change where the map is displayed, it seems to be in the way of messages, its on top of the message windows.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
EDIT: OH! My fault, the minimap your are saying doesn't require a file, anyways, I leave my post due the new fuctions suggestions!

That is not the same like your minimap, your minimap has the advantage of no require to export large files which greatly increases the size of the game, because just by map image files the game size, specially if is going to be a big project, can weight over 500mb, and that's an issue if you are going to make a mobile or web browser game.

EDIT: Yes, forget what I said, doesn't require extra files, but anyways please continue reading this post.

I forgot to tell that the function of display a big map exists on FF7, if you press Select, the map goes big and is centered in your screen with a set transparency so you can continue traveling with Cid's Airship with the big minimap. Don't mind the double size minimap, but at least the big map centered in the screen by pressing a key or a button displayed somewhere (for mobile games) and hide map would do your plugin perfect, apart of it and the function of display events in the minimap which you told already that you are going to implement this, will do your plugin brilliant.

I think that might be a bit difficult to do what I'm suggesting, but consider that if the big size and hide map function are implemented, your plugin will be one of the bests (if not the best because requires no extra files) to be used in most projects, and due this reason, is also perfect for display the minimap in all maps by default without require to write <mini_map> in every map, and make also another tag called <no_mini_map> for don't display the minimap on maps with that notetag when the plugin is configured to show the minimap on all maps by default.

In addition, would be good to make those plugin command to be used in events:

1. hide_minimap: This command hides the minimap, if used again, it does not show the map, this is to avoid display the map again unintentionally.
  2. display_minimap: Same as point 1 but for display it.
  3. disable_minimap: Restricts the use of the minimap, this is good for cutscenes or maps where you don't want allow the use of the function, or also for do that you must get an special item for allow the use of a minimap, this can be used on parallel or automatic events combined with the hide_minimap/display_minimap commands, and switches/variables for example.
  4. enable_minimap: Same as point 3, but for enable the use of minimap instead of disable it.

A minimap plugin that requires a image file is good if you want to display the real map or a customized image as minimap, but if you want a simple minimap with three colors and colored dots for the events and player position, then your plugin is the best choice, not only gets you away the extra work of export image files and modify the colors, also helps in reduce the size of your project which is especially appreciated if the plugin is going to be used on projects for mobile-games, also the size is determined automatically which is specially good for games where the player can choice different screen resolutions, and if you make the functions that I'm suggesting, then your plugin deserves 10 stars out of 5.

I will be honest, I want to use your plugin in my project, but I need those extra functions, and I'm sure that these extra functions will be useful not only for me but for everyone that also uses your plugin, and if someone doesn't need these extra functions they can just don't use them and/or disable them inside the plugin manager as long you provide the option to disable the functions of big sized map, hide map, and display minimap by default.

I hope see these extra functions of your plugin in the future!  :D
I think your point is that you want to use mini maps at most of the maps in your game, and you need some features to perform that (so you'd like to avoid treat many image files). And I think Jay's plugin dumps mini map images and you would need to treat files if you used that, right?

Toggling mini maps and modifying the position or the size seems a great demand, so let me consider.

Your opinion is that adding new features doesn't harm to anyone but I don't think so. Adding features could reduce maintenancability generally. I prefer simplicity.

BTW, you can fork and modify my plugin as you wish because my mini map plugin is an open source project under Apache License 2.0.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Great plugin!

is there any way to change where the map is displayed, it seems to be in the way of messages, its on top of the message windows.
Thanks. No, there isn't. Let me consider to add a feature to move the mini map.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think your point is that you want to use mini maps at most of the maps in your game, and you need some features to perform that (so you'd like to avoid treat many image files). And I think Jay's plugin dumps mini map images and you would need to treat files if you used that, right?

Toggling mini maps and modifying the position or the size seems a great demand, so let me consider.

Your opinion is that adding new features doesn't harm to anyone but I don't think so. Adding features could reduce maintenancability generally. I prefer simplicity.

BTW, you can fork and modify my plugin as you wish because my mini map plugin is an open source project under Apache License 2.0.
No, it doesn't need to treat image files.

For a big sized map in the center of the screen, would be just the same as now, but the square is bigger and placed in the center of the screen. The same for double-sized minimap.

The commands are for provide more control when you are doing events.

I don't know how to script that's why I'm requesting these features to you, the person who made this plugin, and I find a shame that I should habve to request to someone else if they can make these functions for your script, anyways, I don't find the problem of expand the functionalities of your script, so far what I'm requesting specially the plugin commands, or at least as far I know, these functions aren't available on any other minimap plugin, so your plugin would be the first one to have more control over it, and could be very used in Japan and any other country at least until another plugin that has those plugin commands is released (which might take a week or even years to see another plugin with such commands made by another person).

Anyways, if you don't want to do these functions, I can't force you to make them, but please consider make these functions in the future, it will make your plugin really useful.

By the way thank you for the answer :)

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Probably, treating a mini map as a (kind of special) picture could solve multiple problems including enlarging, moving a mini map and adding pins? I said 'special' because a mini map should appear and disappear automatically. Ideally, this automatic behavior should be changed by a game developer. This is just an idea.

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Hi all,

Now the mini map has become a picture! You can manipulate a mini map in the same way as pictures! (The default ID is 90 and you can change this via the parameter). The difference between regular pictures and the mini map picture are:

* The mini map picture is shown at the initial state (and you can erase this anytime).

* The mini map picture image is set automatically and you cannot change this. If the map doesn't have <mini_map> in its note, a transparent bitmap is set.

* A current position (a red point) is shown on the map.

Aidensmercy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
I love the new updated version!! thank you very much.

I just wanted to show everyone what you can do with it now, with just a simple common event.

the map actually slowly zooms in!! with this common event, just turn it on with a switch, then on the keyboard, press the Q button to make the map bigger, and W to make it smaller. 

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Awesome demo!

BTW, thanks to your screenshots, I found a bug the red point was placed slightly wrongly (the red point indicated the player was on the water!). I've fixed it. Thank you!

Aidensmercy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
HA! I didn't even notice that, thanks for the quick fix.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Amazing update, I've seen that you updated your online demo and that the map could even rotate!

I guess that there's somewhere a plugin for show buttons on the map scene that can be enabled and disabled which allows the use of common events when you touch them. I guess that I can use these new features in that way to give it better compatibility with mobiles.

グッド! BD

eivl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks nice! i am wondering about this. 

if ($gameMap.checkPassage(i, j, 0x0f))Since the bit operator is 

if ((flag & bit) === 0)   // [o] Passablereturns true and then you color your map accordingly. 

since 0x0f only needs the flag to be b0000xxxx to return 0, and since you use Uint8Array instead of a smaller bit wise array, i would assume the flag has multiple states but that the first 4 is the important one for marking anything as passable. 

then my question is : how come the default map named Slum have stairs that are not colored as passable?

The tile is flagged as passable and also passable in all directions(guessing this has to do with the last 4 bits, but not sure)

the code for checking if it is passable is also in my understanding rock solid. 

I really have no idea why this happens.

May I fork your code and try to fix it myself?

hajimehoshi

メンバー
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Looks nice! i am wondering about this. 

if ($gameMap.checkPassage(i, j, 0x0f))Since the bit operator is 

if ((flag & bit) === 0)   // [o] Passablereturns true and then you color your map accordingly. 

since 0x0f only needs the flag to be b0000xxxx to return 0, and since you use Uint8Array instead of a smaller bit wise array, i would assume the flag has multiple states but that the first 4 is the important one for marking anything as passable. 

then my question is : how come the default map named Slum have stairs that are not colored as passable?

The tile is flagged as passable and also passable in all directions(guessing this has to do with the last 4 bits, but not sure)

the code for checking if it is passable is also in my understanding rock solid. 

I really have no idea why this happens.

May I fork your code and try to fix it myself?

Thank you!

A tile's flag has information about a passage for each direction and passages for vehicles like an airship. First 4bit means 'which direction is not passable'. I used 0x0f (mask for the first 4 bits) to check all directions are passable. That's why the narrow stairs is not drawn as passable (the stair is not passable in left or right direction).  See Game_Map.prototype.isPassable. isPassable takes 2, 4, 6, or 8 as direction (parameter 'd').

I haven't considered the direction deeply since a world map doesn't have such flag generally.

Uint8Array is for pixel colors, not for flags.

Of course, you can fork my plugin. Please follow Apache 2.0 license. Pull requests are welcome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravenred