citruskoala

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Is it possible to make a map smaller than 20x15 in rpg maker xp? I am trying to make a gameboy styled game and i have lowered the resolution to 160 144, and i want the map size to be 10x9, or, if there is a script to make it so a map only scrolls every 10 tiles on the x axis and 9 on the y.

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Here's an example of how you do it:
Code:
map_data = Marshal.load(File.open('Data/Map002.rxdata'))
map_data.width = 10
map_data.height = 9
file = File.open('Data/Map002.rxdata', 'wb')
Marshal.dump(map_data, file)
file.close

p 'Reduced the size! Please reopen your project.'
Throw this script above Main and it will resize your second map to 10x9. The editor will still say 20x15, so be sure to close and reopen your project. Now it will say 10x9 (but don't try to change anything in the Map Properties as you will be prompted to change the map size). On the map editor, it will still appear as 20x15, but everything beyond 10x9 is ignored in-game. Simply remove the above script and see for yourself.
Granted, if you want to change ALL of your maps to this size, then I can whip up a loop for you so you don't have to manually run the above script for each file.

citruskoala

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thank you, a loop would be great if it doesn't cause you much trouble to create. Also, do you have any advice on learning rubyscript if you have basically no programming experience?

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well, off topic. But....

Make a separate project... tear scripts apart and test things... see what you screwed up one piece at a time. Learn from what you had done. Do small things. And start with the Window Menu sections so you can actually see changes you did more easily. Construction through destruction.

I had no manual on Rubyscripting, so that's what I did. ^_-

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theolharicot