Mismatched Art Styles

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, I need some feedback from you guys. I'm making a few of my own custom assets. I have made battlers and portraits. 

My main concern came about when the game went from in-game to battles. I'm trying to make my game look polished and I'm not sure the conflicting art styles work. 

I'm also halfway between biting the bullet and going full classic JRPG style, as my game is very classic JRPG style, and hiring artists to make pixel art. But I kinda like my stuff idk :(

Open a new youtube tab for it, the forums make it kinda blurry. 

Is there any particular resource pack that would mesh better with my art? 

On a larger, more general note, do you guys even care about conflicting artstyles when it comes to battles, portraits, sprite, and map art?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think if the tiles are the right coloring scheme it'll be fine to switch styles slightly for the battles.  I don't personally find it jarring if the battles and maps are a little different.  That's the way it was done for a long time anyway.  Though if you go with these battlers I would suggest having the faces be at least a similar style to them.  It's fine if they don't match the tileset.

I would suggest not hiring someone to make tiles for you unless it's just a couple here and there to expand an existing style.  It gets expensive fast.

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I know that problem too well :D

The sad truth is that if you want everything to match perfectly, one artist shall do everything or if more are working on it all shall mimic the same style :(

**** tons of work :(

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think if the tiles are the right coloring scheme it'll be fine to switch styles slightly for the battles.  I don't personally find it jarring if the battles and maps are a little different.  That's the way it was done for a long time anyway.  Though if you go with these battlers I would suggest having the faces be at least a similar style to them.  It's fine if they don't match the tileset.

I would suggest not hiring someone to make tiles for you unless it's just a couple here and there to expand an existing style.  It gets expensive fast.

Very very true. I THINK my portrait art goes fine enough with the battlers. Of course, the monster enemies do sometimes morph into something of their own ToT 

ZBLqpj5.png
XtRSyxm.png
x3pB6c2.png
SGIghO7.png

I haven't actually made any portrait art for my game, but ya get the drift

I know that problem too well :D

The sad truth is that if you want everything to match perfectly, one artist shall do everything or if more are working on it all shall mimic the same style :(

**** tons of work :(

I tried to do custom map artwork, really! It just

lb3QoAh.png

yea

not so good

I wonder if there is any particular resource pack that has at least a more similar style to my art rather than the MV 'RTP' that I could be using a hiring an artist to make a couple pieces for it. I'm really not sure. I have no eye for such things, unfortunately. 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's actually not bad.  A bit dark with all those black lines, but it be a fun tileset.

If it were me I'd use the POP! resources with a bit of palette tweaking.  I think you could use just about anything except the Pioneer Valley stuff.  If you want to just discuss which tiles to use Resource Requests may be a better place for it.  This place isn't for discussing what works in just one game, but more for what would work best for many games.

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's actually not bad.  A bit dark with all those black lines, but it be a fun tileset.

If it were me I'd use the POP! resources with a bit of palette tweaking.  I think you could use just about anything except the Pioneer Valley stuff.  If you want to just discuss which tiles to use Resource Requests may be a better place for it.  This place isn't for discussing what works in just one game, but more for what would work best for many games.

If the POP! dude came out with fantasy/medieval stuff, then I'd be all over it. But the only real pack he has is modern/horror. I thought about maybe getting time fantasy and changing some of those brownish/grayish outlines to black to more match my line art style and changing the color palette a bit, but I'm not sure if that's 1) within the TOS or 2) would look good. 

I like this option because I can actually vaguely imitate the style unlike every other kind

Or maybe that would be even worse because it's, like, super pixel art :(

And since you're a mod, you can move this to it's correct location, right?  I really wasn't sure where to go when I was making it. Could you do that so I could get some personal feedback from the correct area? Thanks ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Vexed is female.  Editing Time Fantasy to fit your game is within the TOS as long as you don't follow the distribution rules.  I don't know if it would look good, but it wouldn't take that much effort to give it a try and see.

I won't move this, we'll keep the conversation here to talking about matching or mismatching art in general, and you can start a new thread about resources specifically for your game.  This is the problem with trying to jam more than one topic into one post, they don't always fit into one type of discussion.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For mismatching art styles, it is a big problem if your sprites, props, and backgrounds don't seem to mesh. Admittedly, if I make my own custom sprites, they look nothing like any RTP nor DLC.

As a result, I'd rather make all the sprites in my own style just to keep them consistent. The props are a bit easier as long as I remember to used colored outlines instead of black. Talking portraits and battle scenes will be done in my own black-line-strong-color scheme.

BerryB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally don't care. While it's good that you need to have your own art for distinguishing them, that doesn't make it a good game. In general, what matters is how you use those resources and what sort of resources you use to make sure it will fit into your world. Personally, it wasn't something I'd thought much and while resources here and there are significant, everyone has their own way of contribution. It really comes down to preference and how you view them, really. If you're the type to prefer consistency, then art itself on backgrounds, battlers, allies and everything is really something that needs to be the same all the time. But then again, there may be people who are open-minded and look at both sides, so I don't think this has any value in trying to make a case on.

On a note, an example I can give which meshes different battlers and using default backgrounds and some modified characters (with some original facesets here and there) is Soul Sunder, made by Red_Nova. He made a game with its own unique narrative using default sets of battlers. Granted, his next other game, Prayer of the Faithless, is using art battlers that is made by unity? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But his expression and the way he shows it just goes to show how much effort he put in his work on both narrative and story without reducing the consistent quality of the battlers and the characters.

Anywhoo, I rambled on. But the point is, it all comes down to preference. I do think that I have to agree with Sharm that if you want to have someone ask for advice regarding what assets should be used to match your style, I don't think this is the place to discuss on that. Though I may be wrong, I hope I'm not..

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlolanNinetales