Mitigating lag with many battlers

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by WindyWaffles, Dec 3, 2019.

1. WindyWaffles

WindyWaffles Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have increased maximum party size which has slowed down battles--not enough to be terrible, but it definitely runs at fewer FPS.

Any way to mitigate this?

2. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Are you using any antilag script? If you are running 45fps or higher there should be no discernible difference in the battle performance.
    So what is your fps if it is lower?

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Are you using a specific battle system?

Heirukichi likes this.
  4. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @WindyWaffles basically this, although depending on how many actors you have, you might have to refresh the status window many times, and since the draw_text is called withing refresh_status, it might cause lag. That said, I can hardly see how enough actors to cause your game to lag can be on the screen at the same time unless you completely changed the battle GUI... And if that is the case, you problem is more likely to be caused by a poor memory handling in the GUI script rather than being related to the draw_text method.

In short, while the draw_text method might cause the game to lag, it can only do that with a script that completely changes the GUI, and if you have a script that changes the GUI, I doubt the draw_text method is at fault.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also, are you using some kind of on-map battles (and is it a script, or have you evented it)? Or does it still go to the separate battle scene? How many battlers have you increased it to?

Basically, we need to know a lot more about how your battles are set up, other than just "I increased the number of battlers".

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Heirukichi likes this.
  6. WindyWaffles

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No anti-lag script; I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm not sure the exact FPS, but it's certainly discernible at this point!

7. WindyWaffles

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes, Yanfly.

Thank you for explanation. I haven't made any significant GUI changes myself--just what Yanfly's default is.

No on-map battles; it's a separate battle scene. Five battlers :)

8. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you are using just five battlers you should have no lag at all, unless you are also using Yanfly's Damage Pup-ups, which has a known bug. If that's the case I strongly recommend looking for the fix in this forum (if I am not wrong, Sixth wrote one for it). Conversely, if that is not your case, I would like to know a bit more about this matter. How many frames per second do you have when running the game? Is the lag this noticeable?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  9. WindyWaffles

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes, I am! So this is known. I'll have a look for it. Thank you for the help and pointing me in the right direction!