Mixing JRPG Elements with Card Games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Jhale M., Apr 26, 2019.

1. Jhale M.

Jhale M. Goddess of health, purity and truth. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Have you encountered JRPG elements in card video games before? I feel like the Yu-Gi-Oh series of video games (which are the only card video games I have really played besides Orange Juice 100%) subtly borrow from RPGs. I think RPG style elements can just as easily make a card game single player mode (or possibly multiplayer) more fun or instead ruin the experience for many players.

Also, if you can think of a game where RPG elements and card elements would be mixed together, please share in this thread.

When I first owned Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I always imagined them in an RPG light (since I was a super fan of leveling up and limit breaks and such). I also felt like each card was a character more than just a generic unit. I felt that the card should live a life beyond its scripted role and RPG games are all about developing new power usually. I have been thinking I would make a card game like Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories if I could live to do it. I would have a bunch of elements that people might consider insignificant or foolish, but I would include growth in the game as fairly as possible. And like Forbidden Memories, cards would be much more simplistic than in other card games. I would expand on that game by making it so that mostly every card has a special fusion that only it can accomplish. I would also make the star chip password system with more star chips available and lower prices (pretty obvious).

Somehow, I feel like RPG games and card games are interlinked, or at least they can be. I feel like the future of the JRPG genre could rest with looking to card games for inspiration while not outright copying them.

atoms likes this.
  2. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  3. Stapleton

Stapleton Underground Veteran

First Language:
    Gaeilge
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ahh yes, I do have some experience in dealing with fusing the two genres.
    If you want some examples of this, follow either of the two game links in my signature!

World of Shadows is a full JRPG and offers a more thorough approach to the fusion of the two.
    The Card System in WoS acts like pokemon, where you find the essences and face up against seven card hubs, and final battles.

Card Battles is a large extension of the card game in WoS as it's own game.

Jhale M. and atoms like this.
  4. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Baten Kaitos comes inmediately to mind

Jhale M. likes this.
  5. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    From my understanding Magic: The Gathering was the first major CCG, which was created by Wizards of the Coast, who also owns the publishers for Dungeons and Dragons. The mechanics of M:TG directly influenced the Pokemon CCG as well.

So while not particularly JRPG, the concept does have RPG connections and inspirations.

atoms likes this.
  6. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think they could connect, since card games such as Magic and Pokemon are full of skills and JRPG battle elements, right? (I know of both of these but only ever played with Pokemon Cards).

Having those cards play out in a video game battle should be interesting.

Maybe every fight requires cards and every attack and skills are simple on the cards? You could collect the cards in the game, as well as buy them and find them, for example?

If the whole game story as well revolves around cards, but has JRPG elements such as towns, then NPCS will talk about it's importance too.

And, it could be directly like Pokemon video games, but you gather cards instead of pets.

Just different ideas on how I see it could work.

CalebW and Jhale M. like this.
  7. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I dont know how i could forget Shandalar, by far the best CCG + rpg ever made, based on magic the gathering. (Modern magic games could learn a thing or two from it) the only downside of that game is how stupid the ai was, and how hilariously unbalanced magic the gathering was in the 90s.

8. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really prefer to keep card games and JRPGs separated.
    Japanese people seems to love trading cards and "gacha" games where you have to collect stuff. That's fine and all, but I really don't want that mixed up in my RPGs unless it's just a side mini-game feature. I don't mind card games with RPG elements, but the other way around doesn't work that well for me.
    As mentioned above, I can think of Baten Kaitos with the battle system using cards. As curious as I was to get to the end of it, the random nature of cards really wore me out and I couldn't even force myself to finish it... Since then I've stayed away from any RPG featuring cards as part of the main game's features.

9. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did you not care for the Yugioh show then? Were they would travel and interact with the world like a JRPG but the battles were done with cards?

10. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Never seen the show. I did read the books years ago though, and as far as I'm concerned the best part of it is the first 10 books (before all that trading cards business) and the last books (when it finally puts the card stuff aside to tell the actual story). :LZSwink:

11. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To each their own I suppose.

I haven’t updated my page yet on the forums, but mine is going to be a story filled with card battles. It just seems like a modern idea, and you can have more interesting “cutscenes” without adding an entire movie file in. Lol

12. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Seacliff You are correct about Wizards of the Coast breaking in this new market with Magic: The Gathering.

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh are two Japanese flavored follow-ups, but there were other start-up attempts at this like OverPower, which was Marvel hero and villain themed. Pokemon (to my understanding) takes the mechanics to RPG directly without trying to be two media at once (video game and cards). I'm not sure how Yu-Gi-Oh video games play out, with or without fusion. The Playstation 3 tried to release a new technology called "The Eye" which was a camera that could scan a card setup beneath it and tell the console what your "moves" were as you played cards onto a "battlefield" and then showed result action on screen. I played the original JRPG themed card game made for its use: The Eye of Judgement. It was cool, but not very popular, and the whole peripheral died off. Otherwise, I saw they had a video game version of Magic: The Gathering, and played it. I was hoping for more RPG video game action, but it was basically like playing the card game on screen against an AI opponent with a tad bit of animation like "slash" effects over a target card when damage was done to it. It was still cool, though. Otherwise, and while not really the intent here, I suppose, but closely related, I have enjoyed a few "made-up" card games featured in RPGs as optional extras such as Pazaak in KOTOR and Caravan in Fallout: New Vegas. A final comment returning more solidly to the original intent, yet still offering food for thought...a JRPG with card game style mechanics that plays more like an RPG than not (a la Pokemon) would open the door for a separate but similar card game. I have seen it advised that if you want to market your game on a budget, one thing to look at is merchandising. If your video game has a card game version, people will see that. Who knows? Maybe it's not the video game, but the card game version of it that "takes off" for you.

CalebW likes this.