Mixing Portrait Styles in a Game - How much Tolerance for variation from RTP?

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I love the hermit crab portraits.

I do like RTP edits too, like this nice bandit by Jalen

And Makapri,

and All kinds of others by Lunarea and so many others.

How much tolerance is there in a game to allow for non-RTP style?

Please discuss.

For example, some Hermit crab portraits have the eyes and eyebrows transparent through the hair. I find this to be too different from RTP style to use together.

Makapri's lines are so heavy (non artist here) ans the colors seems different, but the stuff is so great! But it has to GO with other stuff.....

What to do, what to do???????

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BCj

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Depends on a few things for me.  Is it commercial?  Commercial projects get a lot less leeway, if I'm paying money for a game I expect to be paying for a reason.  Is the style attempting to be the same?  I've seen some things that aren't exactly RTP style but it's clear that the artist was giving it their best shot.  Those don't bother me as much as ones where it's a completely different style.  So for your examples, it would bother me if they were both in the same game.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For me, if it was a different style portrait but it looked somewhat similar, I'd be ok with it if it was passed off as someone from a different culture or race. That way you might be able to explain away things like transparent eyebrows and skin hue differences as it being racial or cultural differences.

Atlas Rose

Jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Non RTP is great in my opinion, but then again I personally find them a bit... off-putting. However, if you're going to go non RTP then it all needs to be in the same style

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, I should add this. Consistency is more important than quality. So if you've got some okay quality portraits with the exact same style, that's way better than high quality portraits that sort of look similar in style. I have nothing against something that uses no RTP styled portraits at all.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I said in similiar topics before, it also depends on where and how the different styles are used. If the styles are integrated into gameplay (for example real world with one style, dream world with another), then you can mix a lot more as if the pictures are there because the developer ignored art styles and just collected.

An extreme example is: http://store.steampowered.com/app/233470/

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Yeah, even the character generator faces sometimes require a few tweaks to match the rtp.

It's sort of jarring to have mismatched resources, unless, like Andar said, there's some sort of shift in reality. The Kingdom Hearts games did this well, adjusting the art style for different worlds (Pirates, Nightmare Before Christmas, Steamboat Willie, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.
Yelp. I've discovered that I am one of those people who should not be drinking coffee. Took me a week detoxing off of coffee and switching to tea to realize how badly it was affecting me- and I've been drinking the stuff for years. Yikes!
I bought a gaiter with Meijer printed on it.

I'm still a Walmart worker, and I wore it today for work.
Trying out new carpet autotiles and I can't decide if it's working or not. Pixeling soft carpets is hard
It seems like this is going to be another remote semester. RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakobhenerey309