MMO Engine for RPG Maker MV made with socket.io

MadCorvo

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses

Hello guys! I'm here to announce that im developing a free and open MMO plugin for rpg maker MV. I'm a nodejs developer with backend javascript knowledge but little to no knowledge of the RPG Maker MV plugin architecture. So far, I've been able to make the game comunicate to a server and send coordinates using socket.io lib. I'd like to invite any experienced plugin developer to pair with me to boost up the dev speed of this plugin. I've been struggling with simple things like: render sprites via script and etc.  If you would like to contribute, write here on the topic or PM me so we can talk further.

here are some screenshots of it working:

rpg1.png

rpg2.png

mpurnell

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
my server knowledge or networking knowledge is in no way going to help you, but I just wanted to say good job. there is another one that is out that allows RPG maker work on a server, but since I'm at work I cant grab the link for you to maybe have a suss at that one

Tyrael79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
If you get this going, it will be awesome! I would really like to use this plugin!

Nelderson

Coding cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually got to the point of creating a basic passive MMO experience with Socket.io...my problem has been implementing (Time wise :p )  a login system.

I threw it up on a static express server here if you guys want to check it out.  Some things to note about my system:

1.  It's passive.  What I mean is that each player has the same game experience.  The MMO is more social in nature.  For instance if there is a chest on the screen and you open it, it will not open on the other player's screens.  This can be coded in, but for now it's passive 

2.  Press escape for a rudimentary chat system....no frills and no usernames....but it works :)

3.  I put absolutely nothing in the map....so..yeah....

4.  There is no character selection and all other players will appear the same.  All can be fixed once I come up with a database system that can handle logins, character specs, etc...

Khayalan

Mapping-Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hmmm... im hoping this will be continued ^^

Too bad i cant help you... But there are so many things that could be implemented

-Real-Time Battles

-Fighting together

-Auction House

and much more... THE HYPE IS REAL

-Khayalan

Boss

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello sir pls upload you plugin pls

ProperDave

Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MadCorvo @Nelderson Somehow your post didn't turn up when searching the forum but I've also just hacked together basic multiplayer support for RPGMaker. Using PHP as the server base from some older multiplayer projects I created years ago. Maybe we should combine ideas? I used PHP as it was quick to prototype for me and I had existing work, but Node's even quicker, and much more compatible with AWS where I envision a proper RPGMaker multiplayer server would end up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
How about we get together to make this plug-in possible. It's going to be huge work, one person will easy get discouraged and leave the work in the middle of finishing.

I too do not have knowledge of RMMV internal architect but I can learn through the development process.

I do not have knowledge of Node.js, again that can also be learnt during the development process. 

I do have knowledge of client/server/networking and JS. 

So let's make a team and turn this into the agile project which we have done or been doing at the workplace.

Sound good? Idea?

Nelderson

Coding cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're absolutely right @Mister.Right  & @ProperDave

Even though I'm not a developer by trade I certainly think we can get more done if we had something modular to build from so we can all build different things at the same time. 

That's why I completely changed my Online Core.  It originally was going to be my take on a Passive MMO and Vxnce's previous logic, but then I realized what a solid Node/Socket.io base could be.  It could be a leaderboard, or a chat, or PVP battle logic, or maybe just collect data in the background. And the community could pick and choose what is right for their game.  So I'm rewriting my core to be super modular to become anything the community desires, but we can still all pull from each other.  That way one person can make PVP functionality, while another makes a points system with a leaderboard, or whatever else.  

The documentation is going to kill me....but I'll get it done :)

ProperDave

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've almost got a PVP system working with the code I'm writing (if I get enough time away from my day job I should have that working later this week). The hardest part I'm finding is working out how to make RPGMaker do what I need it to do - I have had to use the Yanfly Skil Core plugin to add in the javascript to send the skill used to the server for the moment as I couldn't find an easier way to get an Ajax event injected into the action sequence. Marshaling the start of a PVP battle is proving a challenge to orchestrate too.

The good thing is - nothing is impossible with Javascript as the engine behind RMMV... it's just some things are bloody hard to do! :)

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Nelderson I think we need to collaborate and plan out otherwise will be hard to integrate code. Either use forum for collaborating or email group. I have a site running forum, i have no problem to use it for this plug in development, if you have/know a better channel we can use that instead.

Nelderson

Coding cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ofc I had to leave my main dev machine at work for the weekend....but I did happen to upload my example project to my server and Github.

Github is here: https://github.com/Nelderson/NASTY_RPGMakerMV_Scripts/tree/master/NASTY_ONLINE

To test it out configured go here: http://neldersongaming.com/NastyOnline/www/

I'm planning on making quick youtube videos when I get the chance outlining the various aspects of both my client and server logic.  And my attempt at an agile standard for all devs to make socket.io development with MV.  

@Mister.Right I'm down with talking it out.  Send me a pm on where you want to discuss.

@ProperDave I look forward to that PVP logic!  We going on map open ATB style?  Or more menu/old school pokemon turn based battle?

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ok, let me set up forum. Are we going to use node.js for server side? We can also consider using Java for running server, I am strong with Java framework, node.js framework I need sometimes to digest. We also need to separate client and server as two different developments, for easy maintain dependency. 

ProperDave

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ProperDave I look forward to that PVP logic!  We going on map open ATB style?  Or more menu/old school pokemon turn based battle?
As I'm just prototyping at the moment it's pokemon-style turn-based, but once working we can easily look at Active or CTB-style battling. Everything I'm writing is polling-based at the moment which works ok for vanilla turn based actions.  I've been really busy with work over the past week and probably will be very busy for the next couple of weeks as a colleague is on vacation and there's a product release to prepare, so I don't have a lot of spare time to play with this at the moment. :(

Nelderson

Coding cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mister.Right I would try to stay with Node if possible.  I have nothing against Java, but since rpgmaker developers are already familiar with javascript and MV is made with the Node webkit it should be easier to transition to the server side code.  With that said.....it honestly doesn't matter on the backend side of things if we decide to go for polling over websocket connections.  The benefits to Socket.io is the persistent connection along with built in room broadcast and namespace logic.  All of the functionality can be built using Node Java or even Ruby on rails if you want to get fancy.  

@ProperDave That sounds awesome!  And no worries....I know I'm always too busy to get things done as well  :p

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Nelderson I think I will go with Java for server side since Im unfamiliar with node js socket io. I just dont have time to learn another framework. I can barely have free time on weekend, im looking into RMMV architecture which i am not fully understand yet.

Localdose

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all. New to the forums. I've noticed no updates on the GitHub page. Is the project still being worked on? I have little experience with node.js and socket.io but I'm willing to help out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image i made on mon-die morning
Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin'
And now I'm wondering if I only made progress in learning this engine because I was procrastinating on everything else I need to do...
from twitter:
Therapist: and what do we do with our trauma?
Me: give it to a character
Character: NO
other devs: *carefully plan the battle balance (with actual calculation in sheet)* | Me: *randomly throws numbers and skills to see which works*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehousx