Mobius's Quest Journal

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by MobiusXVI, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, thanks! I tried to make it as user friendly as possible. Unfortunately, it's not possible to show icons or pictures in the journal. I kept the design very minimalist so the script doesn't support showing them. Sorry >_>   

2. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was just going through the 2.0 script (don't know why I read instead of copy/pasting) and I just happened to notice... did you mean to comment out that ":phase" line in the attr-accessor thingy section?

3. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Yep, I did. That's a relic from the previous versions. Basically, it allows other parts of the script to view and set a quest's phase. In order to maintain consistency between the phase values and the associated variable values, I removed it and replaced it with a version that automatically updates the variable whenever you update the quest via script.

4. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, ok, just wanted to make sure it would still work normally. Though I guess I should've known that already since you made it. ;)

5. Taurus

Taurus Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Hey, first thanks for your script, it looks great in the demo.

But i have a problem:

The script doesn's create the .rxdata file on my pc.

I followed the instructions step by step but no file is created.

everytime when i switch to "...use=true" it sais "unaible to find file "Data/quest.rxdata" of course.

Is there any other way to get the rxdata?
    Thanks for your help :)

6. Taurus

Taurus Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Hey there, nice addon.

Im sorry to ask but i have a problem with the script.

The script doesnt create the rxdata. i followed your instructions step by step and there is no rxdata after so i always get an error message when starting the game.

Is there any other way to create the file to make this work? I so dayum want it in my game :D

ps: its my first script so it cant conflict with some other.

Greetings

Taurus

Edit: Found the prob: I had to set both create and use to "true" and then start the game. Now it works fine. Great! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Glad you solved the problem! If you have any other problems, just let me know and I'll be glad to help!  :)

8. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi Mobius!

Originally I had a problem here but I managed to figure it out xD

Instead, I'm just going to thank you for writing this, it's extremely useful, especially with the quest making program.

Original problem:

Making the 1-player menu (this) show a "quest" tab. You just need to change these 2 lines in the 1-player menu script...

s1 = "Quest Log"
    Code:
    $scene = Scene_Quest.new
    EDIT:The tabs don't switch back correctly. I fixed this, but it would count as a script modification as it's fixing more than just a couple of lines. Permission to post, Mobius?

Also: By saying that we can call quests by quest id as well, are you referring to something like $game_quests.discover_quest(1)? What does 

Code:
          FIRST_SWITCH_ID = 2                   # Sets the first switch ID      FIRST_VARIABLE_ID = 2                 # Sets the first variable ID
    do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    MobiusXVI likes this.
  9. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Of course you can! The script is licensed to allow remixing as long as you share it under the same terms as the original. I don't quite know what you mean by "the tabs don't switch back correctly", but if there's something wrong with my script I'll take a look at it. 

Check out my second tutorial video here for a better explanation of FIRST_SWITCH_ID and FIRST_VARIABLE_ID, but essentially they allow you to link all of your quests to the engine's built-in switches and variables. This lets you update quests by using normal eventing calls like "Set switch 2 to true" rather than making a script call of "$game_quests.discover_quest(2)". There's a few other special features so I highly recommend watching the tutorial.  :)

10. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  11. Baetz

Baetz Warper Member

First Language:
    swedish
    Hi. i get an error when i try to playest when i have your script *"installed" , i followed to steps you provided but when i start up a playtest i get an error message saying "script questlog  line 626 name error ocurred. undefined method write_save_data for class  scence_save , is there someone who could help me with this?

12. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Sweet!

Are there any other custom scripts that you use? If so, there may be a compatibility issue. Try installing the script in a new project and see if you still get the error. You can also try removing other scripts one at a time to see which one is causing the error.

13. Baetz

Baetz Warper Member

First Language:
    swedish
    I tried it on a clean new project and i still get the same error

14. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Maybe the script is copied incorrectly? (you might have accidentally pressed a key when you were pasting it). After all, the error message says "undefined method write_save_data for class scence save". First, check if you have something called "QuestData.txt" in your "Data" folder. Then:

1. make a new project

2. re-copy the script, and paste it just above Main

3. make a new event with a character graphic, double click in the event code, go to the third tab at the very end, click "Script" and write this: $scene = Scene_Quests.new

4. Playtest, walk up to the event, press space, and see if you still have that error.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  15. DraynaRue Games

DraynaRue Games CPU Candidate Member

First Language:
    English
    I love this script, I've been looking for something like this for a while. The current quest system I have I made myself and is very bad so this is a godsend. Only downside is the application you made for it won't work because my buddy Norton Internet Security keeps deleting it, haha baka Antivirus. Is there a possibility of you fixing that? I know it's not a well known application, which is why Norton keeps flagging it.

Edit: Actually there is another issue. When I run it I get this error upon hitting new game:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  16. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    I don't really have the resources to make Norton recognize my program. You may be able to create an exception for it though.

As for the error, double check the formatting of your quests text file. That seems like the most likely culprit, but I'll keep looking into it.

17. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Now you can easily add this script and other like it to your main menu! Check out my Menu Command Manager script!

18. F117Landers

F117Landers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Mobius! Just wanted to say thanks for throwing in switch and variable support!

MobiusXVI likes this.
  19. The Reverend

The Reverend Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I would like to be able to open up the questlog from anywhere in the world by pressing a button how would I do that?

20. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    You'll need to use common events. The demo of the script has an example.

Alternatively, you can use my Menu Command Manager to add a "Quest" command to your menu. There's a link to it in my signature.