Mode 7 Perspective in Games

Do you prefer mode 7 or standard 2d in games?

• Mode 7

• Standard 2D

• Either one is fine

Results are only viewable after voting.

AdamMMS

Dream Uniter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After seeing some examples of mode 7 being used, I now regret not using it in my project!
Here is a quick example I threw together using a custom perspective:

I underestimated how beautiful and cool it can look! Of course I think it would look better if no black edges were visible and that's easily accomplished by expanding the maps and creating barriers in some other fashion.

There are some drawbacks, however. The camera angles are harder to control both in cutscenes and while the player is running around. Map design has to be altered to consider this. If anyone has experience in this please let me know of any other drawbacks or benefits!

So? What do you guys think about using mode 7 style perspective in games?

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really wanted to use mode 7 as well! But alas, my project is a tactical RPG and it doesn't seem to play nice w/ Lecode's TBS lol.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
are those trees *events*?

I don't believe I'll be using it, if there's no other way to draw vertical surfaces, other than by using events.

right now, I'm fighting WW3 with 3Dstudio trying to get the tiles to line up correctly.
if Mode7 can give me a Z plane to draw on, I'm diving head-first into it.

AdamMMS

Dream Uniter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
are those trees *events*?

I don't believe I'll be using it, if there's no other way to draw vertical surfaces, other than by using events.

right now, I'm fighting WW3 with 3Dstudio trying to get the tiles to line up correctly.
if Mode7 can give me a Z plane to draw in, I'm diving head-first into it.
Yes, the trees and shrubbery are events. Now I'm thinking about how I could do cliffs or buildings using this plugin...
I'm sure I'll find a solution, maybe using multiple events. It's all about manipulating perspective, I just hope a solution isn't too constrictive to mapping or gameplay.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like Mode 7, I have since back in the day with some of the SNES games that I first saw use it. It does take a different approach with mapping, that is somewhat more involved.
I always feel like like visuals can be very important and can contribute a lot to games, even though everyone always likes to say they think graphics don't matter to them.

If they aren't done well as they are, it will matter to people.
A drawback of Mode 7 is that a lot of people who try it out don't realize this, or they think it is just plug and play. It can make your game look ridiculous if not properly applied.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a dynamic event spawner...... that means, you can just *code* your Z plane rather than loading physical events on the map.
maybe with a bit of trickery and design? you can just list all the events to be loaded, and they'll be spawned upon entering the location.

(they can be made interactable too, ... but that's another price.... hussshhh!)

EDIT: it doesn't seem to want to work with GubiD's battle system, or the RGD engine either
looks like anything that modifies the spriteset, or the map object, won't be compatible.

Last edited:

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love Mode7. I remember seeing it in F-Zero for the first time, around 1992, and just being absolutely floored by the smooth, "3D-feeling" look of it.

I use it in my game in a few places; generally speaking the game is top-down, but my city-map uses it:

For this to work, the tall buildings are "events" with sprites, and I think effect is pretty good. It works because I rarely need to do complex cutscene stuff on this map.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always ignored Mode 7 or maybe used it for the World Map, since I couldn't build walls, cliffs or buildings with it. But in your video it looks really awesome!

What I now wonder is, imagine your map has several levels, let's say ground level and some sections are few meters above.. how would you do it? I believe it's impossible

somenick

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is this RPG Maker MV? What plugin?

I am aiming towards exporting games as HTML5 games. I dont think Mode 7 works in RPG Maker web games?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always ignored Mode 7 or maybe used it for the World Map, since I couldn't build walls, cliffs or buildings with it. But in your video it looks really awesome!
Thanks! It took a bit of time to get the level of detail right. In the end I just stuck with tall buildings and a few other things, like wind turbines, being sprites, and the rest just being flat.

What I now wonder is, imagine your map has several levels, let's say ground level and some sections are few meters above.. how would you do it? I believe it's impossible
I'm not sure this would ever work with Mode7. What you'd end up with, if you made your own plugin, might be akin to Paper Mario - the Thousand Year Door game for GameCube. It'd look cool, but wouldn't look all that like Mode7, as Mode7 refers to a specific technical constraint of the SuperNES that produced games with a certain visual look.

Is this RPG Maker MV? What plugin?

I am aiming towards exporting games as HTML5 games. I dont think Mode 7 works in RPG Maker web games?
My example (and probably others you'll see) were with UltraMode7, which is a plugin found on this forum. I imagine there are probably others, also. As to the web thing, I'm not sure; the first chapter of my game is the only one with HTML5 support and I don't use Mode7 in that chapter (it only shows up briefly in a video sequence). It didn't actually appear properly in the game until chapter 2.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
If you like it and have no conflicting scripts DO IT~!

It is like smiling when you answer the phone, folks can feel it when you have fun working on your game. It makes the game more enjoyable. So if it makes you happy, it will makes your players happy too.

Else it would be a not making difference but, it is never the case. You should do the games you like ^^

A suggestion tough, get a background top edge and obstacles on the sides and bottom with teleporter to next map behind details on top of player and if doing an exit on top, maybe diseapear/teleport in a door or the shadows of a tree or its leaves.

DJK1NG_Gaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm....the way you are using the Mode 7 could work as Pre-Rendered Maps.
Well that the way I see it at least.

Lonewulf123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Enlish
It’s amazing when done correctly. I wouldn’t say I prefer it though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*
Hi, I made a game for a competition. I need some players to help play and vote for the best game.

https://ekamu.itch.io/not4ever
don’t forget to rate the game here

Voting is open until 12 August.

Thanks.
Progresses. Tonight: refinemment, column, pitfall, bump and gutter (I'll leave doors for last, they are scary).
What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wintyyy