Modern Music in Fantasy Setting

jigida70

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use an Epidemic Sound subscription for my music and sound effects. As I've gone through the music, some of the hip-hop and other modern music tracks just feel right for certain cut-scenes in my game. The beats, and sometimes lyrics, would just jive with the dialog. The game is a fantasy setting, with all the characters being elfish, except for one main character who will be magically teleported from Earth. Would it be too jarring to players to have a more modern soundtrack? Would it ruin immersion?

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know World of Warcraft, right? In this game, once a month there is a fair and on this fair, every hour a band plays... Metal!

Does it fit the genre? Well, no, but it is presented in such an awesome way that it pulls players to the stage again and again, just to enjoy the song.

So, my answer word be: It all depends on how you present it. It can really be amazing, as long as it is brought in an amazing way.

(Not my video)

An idea might be: What if the character that was transported from earth, had an MP3 player with them? That would explain how earthly human music is present in your elvish universe.

(Even I love this song, and I am a member of the Alliance, the sworn enemies of the Horde. :p )

jigida70

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like the idea of the MP3 player (I mean, nobody has ever used an MP3 player or walk-man as a device to include music in anything before, cough, cough). That would mean that no modern music would be introduced until about 10 minutes into the game, but I think that would be fine. It would also be a way for the human character to connect and show personality. I've actually already planned on having the human use his phone to show another character something, so I've already thought about how to get it so his devices still have power (hint: magic).

GregorDuckman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I can only really give a non-answer to this: it's jarring if it's jarring, it's not if its not. You'll have to try had and take an honest look at whether or not a particular tune fits the situation you're trying to use it in, but if the emotions fit that's part of what can make Music so powerful in the first place.

There's also some room to play around the concept of "diegetic / nondiegetic" music in your game, given your explanation for it, and that could be fun and novel. Maybe all the music the player hears in the game is music the main character is playing to listen to themselves? There's some potential for fun there.

As far as genre goes too, I can give an example from Final Fantasy: "Battle on the Big Bridge" from FF5 is rock music with electric lead guitars and bass. The setting is total fantasy, and yet it's one of the most memorable tracks from the entire series. It fits the scenario very well, and that's what's most important.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea of the MP3 player (I mean, nobody has ever used an MP3 player or walk-man as a device to include music in anything before, cough, cough). That would mean that no modern music would be introduced until about 10 minutes into the game, but I think that would be fine. It would also be a way for the human character to connect and show personality. I've actually already planned on having the human use his phone to show another character something, so I've already thought about how to get it so his devices still have power (hint: magic).
If it is a human from earth, with little science knowledge, they might not even need magic to charge their phone... All you need to create electricity is a copper spiral and a magnet. With that you can make a dynamo, which is actually really, really easy. (Edit: I mean, really easy in real life.)

Magic could work, maybe. But if you would rather have an actual power source, a magnet and a copper wire is all you need. :)

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You know World of Warcraft, right? In this game, once a month there is a fair and on this fair, every hour a band plays... Metal!
Metal and fantasy is a super common pairing! Bands like Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Battlelore, and many others draw inspiration from fantasy for their songs.

Blind Guardian has been featured in multiple games too, like Sacred Worlds and The Dwarves.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Metal and fantasy is a super common pairing! Bands like Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Battlelore, and many others draw inspiration from fantasy for their songs.

Blind Guardian has been featured in multiple games too, like Sacred Worlds and The Dwarves.

That is fantasy in metal music... The other way around, would not make sense if you have no electricity. Right? Sure it is done (like in wow) but does it make sense? Can you have electric guitars in a world without electricity? :p

I guess it is kind of a paradox. And in the end it all comes down to the imagination of the creator of the fantasy universe.

Is it possible? Of course it is. That is the beauty of fantasy: Everything is possible. :p It is all about how it is told, how it is presented.

Ps. Those music video's are great!

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now this is interesting. I actually like the idea of mixing it up with some modern music. Just be careful you haven't advanced (or regressed, LOL) to the point where you're playing Drake in a boss fight.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really liked how this one turned out! :kaopride:
WYqMPf6.png

Character (Yes, this is a character): Nibiru the Primal Being from Yugioh.
Dragon Quest style enemy selection plugin work in progress:

Quest_Targeting.png

It's a simple targeting system from the NES era. Select an enemy group; single-target skills will target the first enemy in that group.

Quest-Targeting-Animated.gif
Somehow that granny topic got me... maybe I can come up with some more thematic stuff :3
Going live for tonight's stream! Kytt isn't feeling 100% tonight so the wifestream will be tomorrow and I'll be playing Final Fantasy XIV for this one instead. Twitch
i got bronchitis ; n ;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RiceKun