Modern Windows and legacy RM issues (lag, crashes, etc).

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by TheoAllen, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:48 AM.

?

Are you experiencing lag when using/playing older RM games (VXA/VX/XP/2k3)?

1. Yes

9.1%
  2. No

90.9%
  1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There was a chat in a certain discord server with @Archeia that brought my attention.
    Screenshot_868.jpg
    Screenshot_869.jpg
    Screenshot_870.jpg
    Screenshot_872.jpg
    Screenshot_871.jpg
    Apparently, the older RM is "dying", but I'm curious if this is also happening to everyone. So I'm going to make a survey, do you have issues (like lags) to run older RM games? What OS are you using?

EDIT: Further information form Archeia, I got the following info from her (it is actually not 'just' lags).

My issue with older RMs are the following:
    1. Microsoft removing legacy features which means RM2k/3 games are in jeopardy. The keyboard input not working especially if you have controllers or joysticks attached are just the starting indication of that problem. In some cases, some users report that RM2k/3 games just don't run for them. Period.
    2. VXA has been returning irregular performance issues for Windows 7 and Windows 10. Case in point, Lag out of nowhere from a new game project. Script or Drivers or whatnot, that is a weird case. There are also cases some projects, with no reason, can take 15 minutes to play test win Windows 7 but not Windows 10 as one of my personal experience.
    3. VX suffers from random crashes. I have no idea how you guys haven't even encountered that yet. I get it immediately.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 7:03 AM
  2. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Definitely not for everyone.
    For To the Moon and Finding Paradise I get the distinct impression that RGSS Player (RMXP) works for the majority. MKXP takes care of the rest.
    I have only heard of one case where both MKXP and RGSS Player didn't work for a player.

An MKXP + RGSS Player combo seems very stable in my experience.

*hugs*

3. Kauzz

Kauzz Hello! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There's a time when i had GIANT lag on VXA on my old project (like 4 years ago), i was suspecting of my scripts, because i've maked all of scripts used, and i'm very newby about programming and the project run with 10-20 FPS, so i've started a empty project, just for test, and the rpg maker runs with 30 - 40 FPS without any script, graphic or anything. I tryied to fix this problem for, hmmmmm, 2 or 3 months, but i never fixed. Magically, now on my new project, on the same engine, same computer with a lot of graphical effects and scripts running, the FPS is 50 - 60. The last year i discovered some reasons for my old project lag (i was putting super method in every class), but this don't explain the lag with an full empty project... This is the only time I had a real problem with FPS on RM.

Here in brazil, i think the most engine used is ACE, because people say MV it's very slow and causes much lag. :LZSskeptic:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 3:12 AM
  4. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Installed Ace on my Linux mobo from Steam with Proton and it worked without issue. Sure, minor graphical glitches in the UI for the editor, but everything else worked out of the box. Sounds like M$ is making things go south for "legacy" software. Wow, that used to mean software that was very old, and I mean very, very old. Ace isn't even that old, so yeah. To consider it legacy is rather disheartening.

EDIT:
    Gonna try some of my old Ace projects in Ace on Linux and see what the FPS results are. Can't check on my main mobo because it's on Windows 7, which means it could be a Windows 10 issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    No. I did not get majority of my lag issues from 10. It's actually Windows 7 so I had to update and it fixed it for quite a bit.

Also Ace is actually considered legacy. There's no more engine updates for it.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have no problems running Ace. No lag. I can also play games with every engine from 2K to Ace without lag. It's MV that gives me lag and makes any MV game unplayable for me. (But that's an AMD problem, not a Windows one.)

7. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sad. Also, good to know. Interesting that it won't work very well anymore. A shame, too...

How so? I'm running MV on a Ryzen 5 APU (Ryzen 5 2500U w/ Vega 8) and it runs buttery smooth. What are the specs of your AMD machine?

8. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    MV lags on my computer and there is no AMD part in it. MV games are fine, but MV itself is quite slow. However, Ace and other RM engines run smoothly (and so do games made with those engines).

9. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    same, and I use Intel.

I guess people grew so accustomed to multi-core processors and video cards, they neglected their optimization because "oh, it runs fine, no lag..."
    no lag because the hardware can move things much heavier than what you're throwing at it, which doesn't mean the thing itself is lightweight.

10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually investigated this and it is not due to no reason like Archeia says. What seemed to cause the lag for me was all of the following had to be met:

-Get the playtime to 10 hours or more
    -Get the step counter to 65000 or more (about the cutoff for an integer to be able to be stored in 16 bits).
    -Try going up or down for many steps. Left/right isn't as bad.

Incidentally, if I turned off the step counter the lag occurred 20 minutes into the project without fail. But if I have the step counter set to work correctly initially but then have it set to stay fixed when it hits a certain value (some number < the cutoff for a long integer) it works perfectly.

On another note, I get this lag with Effectus, Theoallen's script, or no anti-lag script at all. All three cases I've tested.

11. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Now that you mentioned it, XP has MKXP, why I didn't think of RGD for Ace.
    @Archeia can you confirm if the lag still exists if using RGD?

12. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    RGD works worse for me. I tested it with that first ofc. I'd even make a video but that means preparing everything again but I'm lazy right now.

The issue with Rm2k/3 is actually not lag but issues like this instead: https://steamcommunity.com/app/362870/discussions/0/541907867763056737/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 6:51 AM
  13. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Updated the info from Archeia herself. Unfortunately, I can't change the vote title.