gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I keep coming back to Theo's solution, and it all points to it being correct.
WITH Hime's script running.

however: since Hime's script works by using *game buttons* and not *keyboard keys*, I think the problem might be your keyboard script.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey. I started moving shortly after your last reply, and it's taken me months and months to get settled in. I'm finally working on my game again, so I'm back to this problem.

@gstv87 , did you ever find a solution for this? One where the scripts could get along? I know you said the keyboard script was at fault, but I definitely still need it. One could even say it's crucial. Anyhow, even if you can't find a way to make it all work, I wanted to thank you for the time you put into this. Theo, too.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, I'm still having this issue. And since bumping my other old thread didn't get me scolded, I'm going to assume it's okay here, too. @gstv87 , you were on the verge of solving the issue, and then I disappeared because I had to move. When I reappeared, you didn't reply, but I think you were busy fighting a lung condition at the time, based on your profile. Would you be willing to take another look at this, see if you can make it work? You're an excellent coder, whereas I'm not, so your continued assistance would be appreciated.

You said it was the keyboard script? How it was the difference between game buttons and keyboard keys? I understand that much, but in the end I really need that script. So what's the next step?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
sorry.... no, I wasn't on the verge of anything, I simply checked Theo and Hime's solution, and they check out.
if that code doesn't work for you, then IDK what's going on. I haven't touched any code myself in several months. I'm currently working on graphics.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I saw the graphics in your profile. They're really good.

Well, I'll have to hope that someone else comes along to help, then. I'm hopeless at this kind of stuff, as you know.

Thanks for replying anyway. :)

zeroscares

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
português
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
how many movement/collider scripts are you using

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm using GaryCXJk's Free Movement for the movement and collision. I have a collision maps script, but it's only for the environment and is not relevant here.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yes, I'm still using v0.87, and the Event Trigger Labels script. Sorry for not replying, I had to sleep.

I've also recreated the demo with just the bare minimum needed scripts, should you need it.

zeroscares

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
português
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yea send the demo over.
don't expect anything though if the past few solutions don't work due to errors in your project

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, so... I had the demo set up, and then I thought "Hey! I can make the demo better!" Terrible idea. I tried to change it and add events from my actual game so you could see how I had things set up, but unlike when I had set up the demo last year, I couldn't get them to work under any circumstances, even though I added many more scripts than the 4 we're testing. I deleted them, but now I have no events that showcase the problem, so I need a bit of time to fix that. I have a headache. :/

zeroscares

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
português
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK. Then, basically, your problem arises due to many scripts and your current setup.
You figured out your own problem with that failed demo setup hahahaha

So if you have a hard time re-creating errors, your game uses "many more scripts", and you can't get it to work properly, your current systems are probably faulty... All RPG Maker engines are bad with movement editing. It is risky to ask for such complex edits with a movement script that never got to Version 1.0 .

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had to think about what you said for a long time before typing up this reply, because it actually upset me a bit. Yes, it's true. I use a great number of scripts, and many of them simply have issues with others. And because of this, no matter my setup, there are going to be flaws or bugs that need to be fixed. However, I'm sure that there's room for improvement in my current setup, even though I don't know where that would be or how to do it.

I use probably around 40 scripts. I haven't actually counted. I'm aiming for a game that doesn't resemble RPG Maker in the slightest, and for that I need lots of new features and scripts to make them work. If a game is like a forest, then it's like I'm having to plant a pine forest with only oak features available, if that makes sense. Despite all that, I've made great progress. But, there's always a bug or two that I can't seem to fix no matter how much I try or even ask for help, either because it's extremely niche, too complicated to fix easily, or both. This bug is one of the 'both' bugs, I guess.

zeroscares

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
português
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Players don't really care about the behind-the-scenes, they just want a good game :D You are making this very hard for yourself. RPG maker's design puts convenience first! If you have to stretch your resources to make something work in RPG Maker, and you always run into errors, RPG Maker is just an obstacle in the way of your project

If you still insist on using this engine, you should probably figure out the absolute problem that makes user TheoAllen's code break! Then, re-do everything from scratch to fix every broken system and delete whatever you really don't need

I have seen rpg games that look very advanced and use cool tricks but they probably programmed everything from zero themselves

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only use RPG Maker because it's something I have experience with. I have no experience coding or using any other engine, and RPG Maker allows me to create content and features without having to code, through eventing. I agree, I'm making things hard for myself, but I don't want my game to be dismissed because it's an average RPG Maker Game. I want it to stand out through its looks, its behaviors.

I think that's good advice. Currently, this bug is the oldest one still remaining in my game, and it affects a lot. Many events, especially the ones with custom hitboxes. What I'm going to do is recreate some events from scratch in the demo, and see exactly when they break. That should give me a better starting point than the mess I'm in now.

That's another problem. Programming. Anytime I need a new feature, or a bug fixed, I have to ask for help and hope someone comes through, or commission it from someone. I don't have much in the way of funds, so that leaves me relying on random volunteers to progress on my game sometimes. I've tried to learn Ruby before, twice in fact. I really, really wanted to learn how to code myself. But I just don't get it. It hurts my head looking at basic code, makes me feel stupid. It sucks.

zeroscares

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
português
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You are trying to do something that is impossible for your skill level. If this is your first game (I hope not), this is a horrible work practice.

Look at beginner RGSS3 tutorials, as if you've never used RPG maker... learn all the basics until you could teach it to someone else. If you can't do that... make a simpler game. Otherwise, you will never be able to finish your game. (Or, it will be very broken, which is not good :guffaw:)

Also, games aren't memorable because they have a high technical achievement list, but because they're well designed and are good to play. With that reasoning, every 3D game with realistic graphics would stand out! And that's far from true hahahaha

One more thing. RPG Maker is a basic game engine. Whatever effects you think are super impressive (For RPGM standards)... well, they have probably been done hundreds of times in other games with different engines, and at a much higher quality hahaha.

I can't help you with all of your code work, so this is all I will say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Avery's Advent Calendar Day event has put me in a jolly mood, so I dug through my folders finished up some old generator pieces. Check my Fantasy Generator Expansion -Dwarfs! To see what I dropped.
Anyone else here think that closets are claustrophobic?
People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narwhalkyrie