FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys, after searching around for a while I think this is the most covenient place for me to be posting this. Not only because it fits this thread discussion but also because there are people present here who actually understands about coding and can make things clear to me, and of course to everyone else with the same questions. In advance, please forgive my bad self taugh english.

I've seen around the foruns people with this very same question, but unfortunately left with no sactisfatory answer or solution. More precisely on how to turn this:
Into this:

I believe users like @Kurot , @KillerPixEEL , @Uranium and others wanted to know how to do this. And despite being very simple to do, it ends up being more work later.
As @Restart stated some things in [Chrono mode] uses the "jumpToCharacterZero" code instead of the "moveToTarget" one. This is the case with [Chrono mode's] attack command. And in fact the Move to Target code doesn't does anything just like Restart said, because MOG deactivated it. Part of the code however is oddly called with the comments "tool_position : move_to_target" when set in the toolsIDs event page for some reason. But the "jumpToCharacterZero" function is the one that executes when the battlers are moving toward the enemies before performing the basic attack or skill.
I believe one of the reasons why MOG deactivated the code is because if ON, actors and enemies had to walk all their way to their target, covering the entire distance while walking. And walking has very slow movement speed by default. Which make an enemy who is far away from his target takes too loooooong to move all the way to perform his action, making the entire combat slow as hell and a total drag gamplay wise.

I dunno why MOG simple didn't increased the movement speed in this moment to make characters move faster. Instead he/she opted for replacing the original code with the "jumpToCharacterZero" that is pretty much an instantaneous trajectory, as a workaround for that. Maybe out of laziness or who knows, maybe because he/she was too busy working on other things and didn't want to waste more time fixing/coding the ChronoEngine or something.

Anyways, I managed to reactivate the original "moveToTarget" code and workaround the slow walking problem, by making the characters [Dash] instead. However by doing that, it complete messes up some of the skills of MOG Demo, causing them to have the characters appearing in weird positions after moving to the target, having them moving to random directions instead of target position, lots of weird placement offsets in general, and in some cases even causing the game to crash. But fortunately I already manage to track the source of the issues. Basically it mainly happens because the function parameters set in the more complex [ToolID-Skills] that uses script calls are set for the "jumpToCharacterZero" function and does not correspond with the "moveToTarget" one.
Here is the code that executes it:
movetotarget.jpg
To make characters [walk] instead of [jumping] just change the line to: char.moveToTarget() and the function respective parameters inside (). To make characters [dash] however you will have to add to the actual char.moveToTarget() function that it = dashing. But since I'm no coder in the first place, the way I managed to get it working is probably wrong and possible can cause other problems in MOG coding. So I will let for people who actually understands what they are doing to help with that.

So, for those wanting to make the characters move/run toward their targets instead of jumping directly on top of them. If you're thinking about using this code you will have to manually adapt all the necessary MOG Demo skills later (ex: Dragon Jump, Triple attack, etc). To fit the new "moveToTarget" code, or you will encounter errors and some other issues. Also, if you are using @Restart CrossEngine plugin it get even more weird too. As CrossEngine changes the standard "isMoving" function to fit Altimit vector-base movement compatibility into ChronoEngine, it ends up breaking a lot of things in ChronoEngine [Chrono Mode]. Because Restart coded CrossEngine with ABS in mind. So I don't recommend doing this with his Plugin ON. Otherwise you will get enemies doing moonwalks/facing the opposite direction while moving toward you, and lots of others weird movement behaviors in [Chrono Mode].

At first I just wanted to make this a very simple solution to help people with the same desire to adjust [Chrono Mode], especially for people who cannot code too like me. However it ended up being more complex than expected. Out of will power and extesive trial and error alone I even managed to make a few tweaks and even add a few more poses into ChronoEngine to make it a bit more pleasing, based on @ct_bolt codes. At a later date I found help of someone who can code and we ended up adding more features into MOG Code Original code. However I believe I will have to open an exclusive discussion to cover and explain better those new features. How long and size can video footage and media files be uploaded here?
//=============================================================================
This is the "devlog" of what me and friend/brother added:
1-Event Battles (notetag to call special battles)
2-Boss Battles (notetag to mark encounters as boss battles)
3-Boss Minions (notetag for marking enemies as a boss minion and allows to create bosses with multiple body parts)
4-New Draw phase (for the new "drawing weapons" pose before battle starts)
5-New Threat Cleared phase (after battle is won, for the new "sheathing weapons" pose)
6-Keep Dead Enemy body (notetag)
7-New "skill_target" tool_position comment (to some skills aesthetically pleasing again with the new code)

Tweaks:

By "Tweak " it reads (my stupid coded workaround) to get rid of stepping animations in several battle instances where the battlers/actors are not moving around. Which looks silly Imo.
And other small tweaks to MOG's Code.

Not Implemented ideas:
Guest/battle ally system (a comment trigger, similar to the enemy_id comment. To make map events be indetified as an ActorID/Party Member?, and temporarily add and make them controllable in battle.

Counterattack System (a battle counterattack system which makes bosses or enemies force execute an action when attacked in specific conditions. Regardless if their turn is ready at ATB gauge. Pretty much how Chrono Trigger counter works).

I will make a more elaborated topic explaining and showing those things later (if possible). And of course sharing the codes. I really hope that maybe there are more people around here willing to improve ChronoEngine and Chrono Mode even more. Cheers to all.

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm actually working in some video footage right now explaining the changes I made into the code. I think most of it is silly and dispensable to programmers, but since I'm also making this to be non-coders friendly too, I think it is fair enough to at least clarify some of what this is about. So that non coders like me doesn't be left complete clueless of what they are doing, and be able to revert things back by their own if they want to. Also, to provide a little more understanding of how Chrono Mode works. And of course, explaining the new features as well.

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to see videos I'm have trouble achieving this. Once I added the line of code you provided my actor disappears when I use the attack command.

Can you provide a screenshot of what the code looks like in a working format?

Last edited:

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love to see videos I'm have trouble achieving this. Once I added the line of code you provided my actor disappears when I use the attack command.

Can you provide a screenshot of what the code looks like in a working format?
This is the what code looks like when set up: 1624649006912.png
char.moveToTarget(x,y,hplus,target,false)
x and y are treated as offset values
hplus is a height factor. (This is set to -4 to null a constant value of 4 in one of MOG's jump functions that affects this function. Otherwise the character will "fly" toward their target instead of walking)
target is the subject this is tracking
the false at the end is for the through.

Please keep in mind this is a change to ChronoEngine raw demo code. For me it works fine. But since I don't know if you are using other plugins that can affect this somehow or if you already have alterations to the code or to MOG's Demo itself, I have no clue myself about the origins of your issue.

And sorry about the delay with the video. It is because I'm adding a lot of text to explain some things better and hopefully avoid doubts just like yours. But since english is not my primary language I'm taking my time and trying my best to make everything the most understandable as possible. Otherwise it would be all pointless. I'm considering to make other videos and explain more things later if necessary too. Please be patient.

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Flint! I will eventually get it right! :) haha This definitely clarified the issue I was having.. I left the parameters after "MoveToTarget" the same as was. I will try playing with the parameters now to get the effect Im looking for!

I have it working now!!! Thank you! Now I Just need to make adjustments to the Enemy walk speed, etc.

Last edited:

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found out how to make the Enemies move back to position faster after the complete there attack.

Simply make sure that on the enemy event page set... Speed: Higher and Frequency: Highest

this will make the enemy run back to position fast after striking your party.

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found out how to make the Enemies move back to position faster after the complete there attack.

Simply make sure that on the enemy event page set... Speed: Higher and Frequency: Highest

this will make the enemy run back to position fast after striking your party.
I was experimenting myself a way of doing that, and this is actually in the video as well. ^^. It should be up by tomorrow when it's done rendering. A single video covering everything is better than several scattered videos imo. I think I made my bad english compressible enough in there.

I'm also making some commenting in the .js files too. For easy tracking in case someone wants to remove or change something. Also for people be able to tell that any stupid code lines they see there was put by me and not by MOG or Restart.

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was experimenting myself a way of doing that, and this is actually in the video as well. ^^. It should be up by tomorrow when it's done rendering. A single video covering everything is better than several scattered videos imo. I think I made my bad english compressible enough in there.

I'm also making some commenting in the .js files too. For easy tracking in case someone wants to remove or change something. Also for people be able to tell that any stupid code lines they see there was put by me and not by MOG or Restart.
Thank you SOOOO much Flint!!!! I will be looking forward to your Video!!!!!!

Side Note: Is there a way to make parameters from a specific attack inside \ the Tool Map to happen BEFORE Move_to_target happens???

Ex. I would like to have animation play before the actor walks to the target when using "move_to_target" , "user" or "target" function.

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here it is folks. Please allow me clarify some things first:

Question: Why aren't the new features a separate plugin?
Answer: Because I cannot code and the person who helped me with some actual coding doesn't know anything about how RPGMMV works to do so. Nor he has any interest to learn. The new features were only added cause I managed to break down to him how some aspects of ChronoEngine works, and so we injected it directly to MOG's and Restart's Plugins. Also there's nothing so complex about it to the point of requiring a separate plugin. Maybe just the new Chrono Mode "phases" and notetags, but If anyone is willing to do so feel free to rip the codes and make a plugin out of it. There are plenty of comments in .js files that should make it understandable enough.

Question: Why haven't you shared the codes since from start?
Answer: To avoid backfire from people saying that things are not working or that it breaks stuff, and unnecessary question posts . I'm basically showing everything that was changed and how to deal with those changes at the same time. Also because 2 other features weren't ready yet. I want to be clear that I didn't touched any sensitive part of the code. To be fair I barely touched the code at all. The video pretty much covers any odd behavior resulting from this tweak. Any other flaws you come up with was already present in MOG's original code and were merely brought to the spotlight.

Please never mind Chrono Trigger assets, they are here because it fits what it is being depicted. Obviously because it is faster to use something already done than creating from from scratch. And I'm not sharing my own project models for obvious reasons too. I originally intended to release this as a Demo showcasing the new features and tweaks, but then I later saw it was against the rules to share something like that. So I "censored" the sprites to become what is being shown in the video. I'll be holding on to the demo for now until I get confirmation from mods if I am allowed to share as it is now.

The first 11 minutes is an obvious explaination of things for noobs like me who cannot code, and for people who is not familiar with ChronoEngine. Skip that if you only care about the new features.

Timestamps:
Reactivating moveToTarget function starts here: 00:21
Necessary adjustment after the change: 2:22
Dash Pose issues: 3:00
Enemies Move Speed behaviors: 3:25
Tips for adjusting enemies movement: 4:23
Necessary adjustments for TooIIDs commands and skills: 4:40
Explaining particularities about the Tool Positions : 5:53
The "skill_target" tool position (New Feature): 6:56
Dashing glitch explained and "fix": 7:58
Removing the stepping animation when standing still for some moments: 9:53
Covering the Weak, Draw and Sheath poses implementation (New Features): 11:22
Keep Dead Body notetag(New Feature):11:43
Boss Battles notetag (New Feature):12:01
Boss Minions notetag (New Feature): 12:47
Tips about creating bosses with multiple body parts: 13:29 ~15:39
EnemyID subject for script calls(New Feature):14:09
A glance at Movement Routes for Bosses: 15:15
The Event Battles notetag (New Feature): 15:40
Workaround for allow making player character dash in Movement Routes: 16:52
Limitations of ChronoEngine: 17:03
Not implemented ideias: 17:32
The Battle Spacing Dilemma: 18:20
Known Bugs: 19:10

Cheers.
Ps: I forgot to mention that there is a lot, a lot of text in the video. I know it is irritating but you will have to pause to actually read some of them. Sorry. I had to do that in order to shorten the video time.

Last edited:

Uranium

Game Dev, Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @FlintX Great Video!! I love it! You are a life savor!

I have pretty much everything working good I noticed one little bug but I don't think it has to do with anything in your video though.

When adding a offset (Y57) to an actor image name I am getting alignment issue in battle. Have you tested using the Y offset on your actor sheet name and have it working good? :aswt2: I am stuck

Last edited:

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @FlintX Great Video!! I love it! You are a life savor!

I have pretty much everything working good I noticed one little bug but I don't think it has to do with anything in your video though.

When adding a offset (Y57) to an actor image name I am getting alignment issue in battle. Have you tested using the Y offset on your actor sheet name and have it working good? :aswt2: I am stuck
For what exactly are you using those Y offset values? For creating combat skills animations or multi limb bosses models?

I only used those offsets values for the DragonTank clone example in the video to visually align the head and the wheels to the main body. Since each body part is a different Event ID on the map, on different squares of the editor grid.

If you talking about your actors/characters base image model, you don't need any offsets values on it. Unless you are trying to achieve something specific.

FlintX

ChronoEngine enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know It has been a while since I created this topic but since It is not allowed to post content with ripped resourcers from actual games I couldn't share the demo related to this tweaks. However, I wish people could get a little glimpse on how the demo looked like before it was censored, because I think it shows well how nice @Restart codes for unlocked animations frames for spritesheets works.

I hope its okay for me to share a YT link with the footage though. Well... if the mods deletes this post I am fully aware of why.

Here it is:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Day 2 of my redesign journey, as a follow up from the previous post :kaothx:
pXiRJSm.jpg

This is Cedric's son, Apollo!
New pet peeve: Telling tech support personnel what something is doing, only for them to tell me (in excessively condescending tones) what it should be doing. Yes, I know what it should be doing, and if it was doing that, I wouldn’t be talking to you and your attitude problem about it right now, would I? >.<
uglywolf wrote on Khulse's profile.
Hello.
The rules I makes pun about on your last thread is about "Verify Files" before anything else, if the stuff comes from STEAM. Which means, if it could be fixed with just that, there is no need to redownload the whole stuff.
But glad the reinstall worked, hope you enjoy it and your days too.
uh oh, I just tapped into a fresh, deep vein of nightmare fuel right here guys:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgeal365