RMMV Momoland | Horror rpg game | Current Beta

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Pinku-milkbox, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Pinku-milkbox

Pinku-milkbox Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MOMOLAND

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
    • Momoland is a game inspired by other horror RPG titles, such as "Yume Nikki" and "Ib"
      You play as a girl named "Marie", who has been called for help by a feline that refers to herself as "Momo"
      My original idea for the game was to have it be very similar to Yume Nikki. In which the two main characters
      adventure through weird and nonsensical worlds. However, as time has passed. I have lost a lot of interest
      in the main idea of the game and am struggling with finding new inspiration. I don't wish for the game to end up
      being pushed to the shelf, which is where you all come in! I would definitely appreciate some criticism on the game as of now.
      It is very very short as I've not worked on it for quite a while, but you can still get a bit of an idea of what the main premise is!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    eluukkanen, Leanne, SolonWise and 3 others like this.
  2. woop

woop Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I like the retro look! Always refreshing to see assets that aren't default.

3. Pinku-milkbox

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much!! :LZScat:

4. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pinku-milkbox Hello. I've just downloaded your game but there is some graphic issues, so I couldn't play, unfortunately. I've fixed the two first ones, but the third (command_0) seems complicated. If you fix it I would love to play your game. :)

Fail1.png

Fail2.png

Fail3.png

5. Pinku-milkbox

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for letting me know! I fixed up the error and updated the link! Hopefully, it works now! :yswt:

SolonWise likes this.
  6. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Pinku-milkbox Just played it! Amazing game, I don't know even how to describe the experience. It is still very small game, but I've always wondered how people came up with ideas like these. At first sight, someone might think it's a mess world, with a lot of things and nothing does sense, but there is a little logic, and maybe there is a BIG logic behind all the things in your world, but I couldn't understand it all because that's what ART is about. You, as an artist, materializes something that only exist inside your head. You can do it by writing a book, a poem, a music, or even a game, and me, as a consumer of this art, tries to do the best to appreciate it, but sometimes we will not understand it as you planned. Maybe it was the case... Seriously, where this idea came from? Don't need to answer if you don't want to, but I'm really curious about it. :)

I loved the original graphics, specially the animations of the characters. The same music playing all the game was also good. It fits, and I would love to see how this madness (in a good way) will end.

As a amateur developer myself, my only tip would be to polish the dialogues better. Maybe I'm too perfectionist, but there is some texts where it should be a capital letter, and its not. I also think that another font other than the default one would fits better in this game.

Anyway, congratulations. I had a good time playing it. :D

7. Pinku-milkbox

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh wow!! thank you so so much!! ;v;

It is meant to be a very bizarre game! Weird rpg games tend to be some of my favorite to play! I just love how people's creativity can shine
    through rpg maker! As for the story in my game! Marie and Momo are two characters that i've had for a long time and are meant to represent the innocence of childhood! as well as a person's curiosity! If I decide to continue with the game, then a lot about them will be explained further! 'v'

thank you so so much for the tips!!!!
    since this is a beta then later down the line, I will definitely get a new font and edit up the text!! 'v'
    again, thank you very much for taking the time to play through my game!! <3

SolonWise likes this.
  8. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I gave this demo a try, it's pretty cute though there's clearly some weirdness going on.
    As SolonWise mentioned, spending a bit more time polishing the dialogue up and fixing mistakes (I noticed a few lowercase 'i's and rogue "s) would be a good move. I also think you may want to change how you show character names, right now you use "Momo" but quotation marks are normally used for what's being said so there's a bit of a disconnect. You could instead use a colon like Momo:, which I think would work better. But that's a minor thing.

The story didn't go too far, but it did seem interesting. There's a lot that could happen, which makes it fun to keep playing. But since I don't have any issues with the story I'll be focusing on some bugs and things I noticed. :)
    • First up is that the door event in the first room seems to be set under the player a tile below the door graphic, which means the player can turn to try to search the boxes next to the door and get the door event instead.
    • The left side of the maze walls is missing a line so it almost seems like the player should be able to enter it
    missing wall part.png
    • Cat-ghost thing in the maze is set to 'Player touch', not 'Event touch', which means it can't activate if the player don't look at it. The player will have to choose to fail at some point, but it's not nearly as dramatic as it could be.
    patient cat-ghost.png
    • Cat-ghosts can see through walls, which makes it easy to trick them if the player wants to take the time to do it.
    Overall, this seems like a cute game that you've put a lot of love into. Good luck improving and finishing your project! :rwink:

Pinku-milkbox likes this.
  9. Pinku-milkbox

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so so much for all the help!
    I really appreciate you going through and mentioning all the bugs and how to fix them! As well as the tips for the character text! Im planning on getting a script so that I don’t have to constantly write down quotations for their names!

The Cat-Ghost issue was bothering me a lot while working on the game! so I'm really glad to know there’s a solution for it! Again, thanks so much for the help! :LZSproud:

10. noajb

noajb Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Momoland? Like the K-pop group?

Anyways your game looks nice :kaojoy:

11. Pinku-milkbox

First Language:
    Spanish/English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :kaoback: I actually didn’t know about the kpop group before making the title! Crazy coincidence lol! Thank you!

12. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Cool style you chose! Havent yet tried, but retro feel is always great!