SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a few questions I would like to ask about monetizing in RM-made games, other than selling directly.

Is it possible to put Micro-transactions in game?
Is it possible to create DLCs and add-ons and sell them separately?

Thanks in advance :)

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Micro transactions: Sure. You just need to code it yourself though.

DLCS/expansions: Maybe.. You could just add extra files perhaps. But you have to make sure that your savefiles still work properly then.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any commercial script for Micro transactions? becuz I am a total noob at scripting.

Just asking tho, how much does it take, in estimate,  to hire a scripter to made mildly complex to complex custom scripts? (Just want to know it generally).

Thanks in advance again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Not that I'm aware off.

I can't estimate a price. It depends on the skills the guy has and his experience with writing secure code for a payment system. After all, your game will need a direct connection with some payment system. You will be looking at a minimum of 3 figures for sure.

But personally, I absolutely hate micro transactions. Especially if they call it F2P or if it's 'yet another unpolished RPG/mmo game'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Lil' Yami is open for requests, check his topic for more info...he's a talented scripter.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the information :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it possible to put Micro-transactions in game?

Is it possible to create DLCs and add-ons and sell them separately?
An ingame online connection (either for microtransactions or for DLC) is very difficult.
Yes, it's doable (and probably easier to do than online-playing which is also often asked for), but it will require a lot of work, especially because you'll need a secure internet connections programmed inside the game engine.

In my opinion that is not something that can be done as a hobby or for free - and the professional programmers on this site who could do this, will probably ask for payment in the area of several hundred dollars at minimum.

Add-ons are possible and have been done before - there is even a patch-script on the master list. However, that requires you to plan ahead and prepare the game for those add-ons before releasing it. Because there are several aspects in the game that can't be changed easily and you would invalidate all older save files with certain forms of updates that weren't planned from the beginning.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I'm checking out the patch script and it is pretty handle in creating add-on. Great script :)

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Add-ons are possible and have been done before - there is even a patch-script on the master list. However, that requires you to plan ahead and prepare the game for those add-ons before releasing it. Because there are several aspects in the game that can't be changed easily and you would invalidate all older save files with certain forms of updates that weren't planned from the beginning.
How do you make a pay Add on for RPG maker game then? Or well, any form of expansion and stuff?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you make a pay Add on for RPG maker game then? Or well, any form of expansion and stuff?
payment is not part of the engine - you'll have to do that the same way like you pay for the game itself (outside the game and with downloads), unless you're willing to program the said microtransaction into scripts (which isn't easy)
As for addon - you simply increase the original base game, and use the patch script to add that new content to the previously sold and installed games. If you want to keep the add-ons different from the base project, then you need to keep a copy of the original game files to sell - and cannot work on bugfixing that without the add-on, because you can't branch development (that is one of the limitations of the patch script)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?
YAY!!! My third help Guide STEAM integration in MV (High performance) has been posted!

Both the polls for the 3rd Original Character Contest ended with 5th place ties! So let's break those ties. Vote now for your favorite of the ones tied!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
five88uytin1