Monster Catching Mechanic without Plugins?

LorenzoBryce

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
LorenzoBryce
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I know everything I am about to say will probably make everyone on this subreddit simultaneously cringe, but I had an idea for a monster catching game, and really wanted to make it. Problem is, I both have no real programming experience, nor the money to pay someone else to program it. I know I probably won't end up finishing the game. I'm not expecting to have the time or resources to actually do so. Really, this is just me trying out rpgmaker (i'm using the free trial) and seeing if I'd actually be able to use it for a full project on my own. The specifics of the concept itself really don't matter, as i'm currently just trying to figure out the mechanic itself. Could someone explain to me/point me to a tutorial on doing something like this?

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're going to copy and paste your question from the Reddit board, you should probably at least edit out mentions of "this subreddit". ;)

This kind of thing is very hard to do without plugins. One or two free plugins do exist out there for Monster Catching, such as this one (though it hasn't been updated in a while).

If you really want to do it without plugins, at the very core of the idea what you have to do is:
  1. Create Actors (and accompanying Classes) to represent the mons you might be able to catch
  2. Create a way for mons to be caught during battle (for example, you might have an item "Ultra Ball" that runs a Common Event which checks the HP of the enemy, and if it's low, has a chance to remove that enemy from battle and set a Switch that designates you have "caught" that mon)
  3. Create an event that allows you to manage your mons - without plugins, this probably means a series of nested Show Choices branches, which swap in and out the mons from your party, with Conditional Branches to check whether you have actually caught the mon you want to add to your party

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weird... why is this in the MV Software Updates subforum?

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Yuuka

Sleeping Flower Master
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for my bad English.

As @Wafelength stated above, that's one way to catch monster while battling with them. In my opinion, you can do that before or after battle. Theres small chance you can catch monster without battle. If the monster resist, you enter battle scene, and if win that battle, you decide to catch them or set them free.

Here my instruction:
  1. List of monster (of course)
  2. List of captured monster Item. If you want to make that monster part of your party, then make a list of monster as Actor.
  3. Make some event of monster on your maps. Here simple event content in every monster:
    1579854477200.png
  4. If you want to make captured monster as part of your party, make one or more event where you summon or recruit captured monster (Use Conditional Branch on item and Change Party Member).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As said before, this type of game mechanic is tedious to do without plugins because it requires you to handle a lot of the logic by yourself.

However there are ways to improve handling without that big mess of code, so I'll enter my own suggestions as well.

1) Make a list of those enemies that you want the player to be able to catch. For each of these enemies, you'll need the following:
- one actor to be the enemy on your side after capture
- one item of the monster name set as a "Hidden B" item instead of a regular item

2) you can either make a capture skill like said above, or you can have the enemy item drop as a rare case and leave the player to be surprised if he gets the monster or not.

3) As said above you'll need an event to select which enemies to take into the party - something like a monster cage.
What all posters above skipped is how to select the actor especially if the list of possible monster captures gets larger. With the suggested use of show choices that would be one mess of an event because each enemy name would have to be checked if it is available.
In my solution, you simply make a select item command on the "Hidden B" items. The player now gets a list of "items" to select from that are invisible in inventory but identical to the enemies he already captured, because each capture would give the appropiate item.
After that only add the actor that has the corresponding ID/Name to the enemy item selected.
Still a tedious list (unless the item IDs are the same as the actor IDs and you use a script command, but much less tedious than a massive list of show choices.

Randor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've created a monster taming component to my game, whereby if you meet a monster or animal on the map, the event allows you to try to feed them before you enter battle.

I set up a variable so that you have a certain percentage of taming the animal. If you succeed, you can either skip the battle and send the monster/animal away or skip the battle and add them to your party. To do the party add, you'd want to have the Actor assets for those creatures.

I do have a list of resources from different artists here if you want to check it out. https://www.rpgmakergamereviews.com/p/resources.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?
Man, being able to edit my game WHILE testplaying it is like the most convenient thing EVER. Thank you, MV...it even makes up for the OGG thing. Well, almost.
Back in the old days, long before I was born, salted crisps - or potato chips, for you yanks - came unsalted and had a little pouch of salt to manually shake on it. Of course, things are more efficient now, but Walker's still brought back the old 'Salt 'N' Shake' style a couple years ago. Dunno why, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because the nostalgia crowd were getting salty.
Guys I just want to sit around and work on my game! *gets lots and lots of money shoveled at him* Game, I don't recall a game. What game? :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zths