fireflyege

Witch please!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What a good day, isn't it? And you know what good days are for? Threads!

So today let's discuss monsters. I have quite a lot of interesting ideas, but let's hear from all of you about interesting monster designs! So here I come. I hope the community can give and get inspirating designs when it comes to monsters.

What I look is more monsters with also feedback about mine, also I will give feedback to yours and I suppose so will any other. Let us begin the monster factory working!

-Cerberus-

Normally Cerberuses are fire elemental, but I wanted an interesting cerberus fight. First thing to note is its elemental resistances and weaknesses.

Cerberus has 3 heads. One for fire, one for ice and one for lightning. As long as those heads live, the Cerberus gets resistances.

When the fire head lives, Cerberus gets %100 fire and %50 earth resist.
When the ice head lives, Cerberus gets %100 ice and %50 water resist.
When the thunder head lives, Cerberus gets %100 thunder and %50 wind resist.
Cerberus's innate resistances are %100 against dark, %-50 against light and aether and %-100 against mental skills, since they all share the same brain but on 3 different brain systems, affecting it would prove fatal but when the Cerberus is reduced to a single head the mental weakness fades. But it is still immune to dark and weak to light and aether so there is that.
Otherwise it takes normal damage from physical, temporal and arcane magic.

Now the fight begins smoothly, Cerberus has 3 moves from each head. One thing to note is, they do not act at the same time. Thunder head acts surprisingly fast and will quite likely be the first to move, fire is just decent and ice acts horribly slow but being slow has merits on this one.

Fire head works with DoT's and its damage starts low but fire head works with a large amount of AoE and if you do not cleanse the DoT then it stacks and becomes destructive.
Ice head works with using magic penetration and use ice based magic, also occasionally throw in ice shields which needs to be broken if you need to continue your onslaught.
Thunder head typically aims for a single target and attempts to stun it but the stun lasts momentarily and expires after the turn passes, like the guard's duration that is why the thunder head acts first.

Also Cerberuses apply triple breath which reduces resistance to their own elements but they do not do that often so you must mind those and cleanse when they do that.

The best thing to note however is that they share the same brain and body so debuffing them will debuff all, stunning them will stun all. Speaking about my game, stuns are really rare so the bosses are not immune to it.

Now the battle is managable because the Cerberus headlings do not hit hard, it would be a real problem if they did with their innate elemental resistance to everything. But that does not a problem.

Cerberus is not that threatening near the battle where it has those resistances, but when it drops down to %66 the fun starts because thunder head dies. That is where it loses that thunder and wind resistance. It will matter for some people to bring the pain, but that is not all because the heads enrage, and begin to use more damaging versions of their own attacks. That is the part where the ice head becomes scary with its shields because the cooldown for it reduces from 5 to 3 and you need your dps to break the shield. Also one thing to note that some of the fire head's skills will apply 2 stacks from now on.

When it is reduced below %33 the ice head dies too, but the fire head becomes able to attack 5 times and begins to become a real threat since its skills upgrade for a second time and begin to apply 3 fire stacks with being more damaging and destructive but the fight is pretty straightforvard at that point. Cerberus loses all its ice and water resistance firstly, but its resistance also modifies. It absorbs fire and darkness, is immune to earth and gets %-100 weaker to ice, light and aether.

At that point you can go all out on the Cerberus because it will die quickly. An important thing to note is that you can always bring neutral attackers but if you bring an elemental attacker, even though they become obsolete at the start, they will be essential to finish off the cerberus which is more dangerous than ever, so having a good balance between elemental and non elemental attacks are a must.

-Necromancer-

I wanted this battle to be interesting so I made a death mechanic. All of the Necromancer's single target attacks have a chance to inflict instant death. Now that is not very interesting, but the Necromancer then revives the dead as a zombie. When the character stays zombie for more than 3 turns, the Necromancer permanently removes it from this battle and absorbs its life energy for a good amount of healing. You can recall it with Ultimecia battle from final fantasy where she absorbs the fallen allies to time and removes them from the fight. Needless to say, auto-revives are particularly useful for this battle.

The strategy is a sort of suicide bombing. One of the characters have a skill that deals huge damage should the target dies called corpse mine, which isn't hard considering this boss specializes in it. But you can also apply an auto-revive to the said ally so if you use it to a tank that can draw attacks, the tank will first draw attacks and when it dies it will explode then get revived just after it. A pretty good strategy if you ask me, but this strategy is not limited to such situations of course, because that is the best combo in the game considering how hard you manage to pull it off because of the corpse mine's short duration.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I quite like strategic battles like these, especially when a larger enemy consists of multiple smaller ones, all fulfilling their role, and where the game allows some room to turn their strength into a weakness (like how you mentioned debuffing one head, debuffs them all due to a shared body). And another thing is when the strategy changes as parts of the boss become destroyed or the number of minions/attackers diminish, making remaining ones stronger (Dark Souls, Ornstein & Smough fight anyone?)

One of the boss types I like doing (you can do it with robots or hive-mind type enemies) is a large enemy that when killed, breaks into loads of smaller ones, so the player has to change their strategy instantly. You can have say several enemies like that in a boss fight, and the player has to be careful not to kill all of them at the same time, because if they do, once all the larger enemies break into smaller ones, the smaller ones might rundown the player with constant non-stop attacking.

fireflyege

Witch please!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Matseb2611 I am happy that you liked the idea, I also designed it with those in mind. The biggest example about the strategic change that it completely changes its elemental resistances and weaknesses when they are dead, so you cannot be like ''oh this guy is weak to fire so let's rain down fire to it 24/7'' for example when only the fire head remains, the boss who is immune to ice suddenly becomes super fragile against it, and considering its fire head is the most dangerous one at low levels because of attacking 5 times in a turn you must kill it quickly. And the best way to do it is ice damage because it is weak to it. Of course you can bring light but light attacks aren't naturally strong, and aether and mental skills are not that common. One first thinks that bringing ice to this fight is dumb but then realizes to plan ahead because you do not know what is waiting you. Even though it is a little bit tricky for the player, it is fun.

I love the idea about a boss splitting to smaller ones, but still being deadly. It can work perfectly against some metal slime type enemies. I also like bosses that consist of swarms for example 5 puppets that you must defeat before you can harm the puppet master but at the beginning 5 puppets each attacking someone would of course be challenging enough. That can even lead you to apply CC to them so it looks like saying ''I control those things better than you so they do not harm me'' and it sounds like fun.

I do not like bosses suddenly becoming stronger when they drop at low health unless they are going to a rage or something that is why I find threshold attacks silly. If you can wipe out our team without warning why wait until you reach %50 threshold than to do it now? But bosses that change strategies when they fall is interesting enough for me and that adds more challenge without adding them direct power boosts because it will be quite likely the party will not be itemized for the situation if the enemy suddenly changes strategies. For example burst healing will not do anything if you are out of mana, did not itemize for mana regeneration and the boss is doing high sustained damage or a fire axe will not do any damage if the enemy suddenly becomes resistant to it, the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I am not a fan of boss fights that boil down to exploiting one and the same weakness 24/7. It gets tedious after a couple of turns. So I kind of like it when a boss can go into different "modes". Like maybe they start to defend for a couple of turns where their attacks aren't so bad but they also are heavily resistant to all of yours. Or maybe they go into evasion mode where they gain high eva to physical attacks but remain weak to magical ones. Or maybe they apply a shield on themselves to protect them from magic or a specific element.

The whole idea of bosses getting stronger as their HP drops is something I always thought was kind of silly too. Normally you'd get weaker as you get hurt, not stronger. Haha.

You have a nicely designed battle there. Make a video of it sometime so we can see it in action. :D

fireflyege

Witch please!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will make it shortly after gathering my resources again. Sadly all my work vanished because I missed those files when I was trying to upload on dropbox so I am going the whole process again.

In action it will be very interesting because each character plays differently.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aww, I see. It sucks to lose all your data. Always good to do backups. ;)

kranasAngel

Wanderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One first thinks that bringing ice to this fight is dumb but then realizes to plan ahead because you do not know what is waiting you. Even though it is a little bit tricky for the player, it is fun.
I'd be careful about this sort of thing, especially in a boss fight. By the time the boss's hp falls to 33% a lot of time has probably passed unless this is a short fight. What that means is that the boss's sudden resistance to fire and weakness to ice will come unexpectedly.
If you make it so the player needs to use ice against the boss it will likely become frustrating because they will have to redo the entire boss fight just because they didn't know to bring Ice element fighters in advance, and that's not fun because there's no telegraphing of this unless they see a guide, or have already lost to the boss once.

The main ways I can see to handle this would be to either encourage the player to bring all elements with them at all times, to leave lore that hints that the Cerberus will change element as its HP falls.

The important thing is that the player shouldn't feel like they lost because the Cerberus suddenly gained a fire resistance without warning because that feels unfair. They should feel like it was their fault for forgetting to bring an ice user with them. How you do that is up to you.

Calvynne

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll use an example from one of the fights I've got as to how I'm handling a boss that is obviously weak to ice/water attacks.
Every encounter leading up to the boss uses one or two of the mechanics that the boss employs to train the players how to fight the boss. Ideally, the party arrives at the boss encounter already wearing the correct gear to face off against it, with limited to no "A-HA!" moments during the fight. If you paid attention during the dungeon, the fight itself will be challenging, but manageable.

I always build my games with the option to save anywhere, and a lot of visual warnings that you are approaching a boss fight, by this point in the play through a player will know they are about to fight a boss.

The players reach the boss, they have fought either mini-versions of it, or fought against each aspect of the fight they are going to have to deal with. In this case, it's front loaded damage, 2 sets of elemental attacks, potential instant death, and counter magic when targeted by the vulnerable elemental. There are no surprises, they went into a fire dungeon, they should be prepared to fight a fire boss.

So here is the boss itself:
Living Flame (boss)
266,000 health (This is a late game boss, I'm calculating that a party is going to be inflicting 20-25K damage a turn to it, and I want the fight to last about 10-15 turns)

-Opening (20 turn CD, if you manage to sandbag the fight somehow, this effect is going to come back again)
Magma Wave = Deals 8-9K worth of fire damage without mitigation. (forces the party to wear fire resistance gear, this is about shaping the party's equipment load out so I can help manage the fight difficulty.)

-Special: Blaze, Maelstrom, Entangle, Fight (has a 20% chance to cast one of these skills on any of it's turns, blaze deals fire damage to the whole party, maelstrom reduces a character to critical health, entangle paralyzes a member for 2-5 turns, and fight is just a normal attack)

-Fight Priority (each of these has the same priority)
Quake, Quake, Quake, Stone, Fight, Special (the vast majority of it's damage is actually going to be from Quake striking the whole party. Stone is on there to add the threat of instant death and force certain equipment/relic choices. The fight option coming up is actually a relief, you'd rather take it's weaker physical damage than the party wide quake.)

-Counter Magic
Solar Breath (non-elemental magic damage to the whole party)
----

The Living Flame requires 2 resistances to make the fight manageable. The party needs to be able to survive his opening Magma Wave, which will kill most parties instantly. He has tremendous AoE potential, with causes a lot of dangerous situations with Maelstrom and Entangle in play.

Solar Breath is non-elemental magic damage, specifically to prevent parties from spamming Ice magic attacks to burn him down quickly. If you have enough healing, or are at max levels and gear, then you can probably get by with spamming ice/water and clear the encounter in 5-6 turns.

kranasAngel

Wanderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, like @Calvynne said. It's important to teach the players how to fight the Cerberus in game, on a side note that sounds like a good dungeon.
Maybe for your game, you could have the dungeon leading to the Cerberus filled with enemies like paper dolls, that start off weak to fire, but once you burn away the shell they reveal an inner shell that resists fire greatly.
That way the player knows to expect the boss to change resistances and isn't surprised.

fireflyege

Witch please!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Calvynne and @kranasAngel you both have great points. Of course I am plannning to telegraph it with something like spirits scattered in the dungeon area. You can simply ask them about the Cerberus.

Of course some spirits may not cooperate but at that point you have really scary party members which can do bad things to those spirits. And they say knowledge is power, hah!

Last edited:

kranasAngel

Wanderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have spirits simply tell the player what to do, it's no fun.
It would be more interesting if the spirits that refused to cooperate operated as mini-bosses that changed elements at lower HP values.
But yeah, I definitely think you've got the right idea.

fireflyege

Witch please!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kranasAngel spirits do not actually tell a lot of things, but they hint how you must approach to them. The player will still have no idea what the strategy is, but they will know enough what to expect and how to deal with it. When its health gets below those thresholds, there will be a small event occuring. The heads do not change so many things, they just get a little more effective in what they do, and the elemental resistances are all that matters so that is where you might prefer using a scan ability, they exist for a reason. If the spirits would just tell you everything in detail it would make the scan abilities obsolete.

And of course, some spirits may not choose to cooperate but some of the spirits do not like Cerberus very much for various reasons, at this point they would gladly change information to see the Cerberus dead. It all depends on which spirit you are talking to, not all of them are the same.

Last edited:

Harosata

Dramatic Lightning's BFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hm, I do need to brainstorm a few enemies. Fair warning: These are furniture because they take people's souls, so a bit out of the norm. Don't know the party size, but assume it'll be 1v1.

1. Door - Hm, a door could only Open and Close. So let's see...Open inflicts physical damage and Close is a guard. After each Open, the next turn is always a Close, but Close can happen after a Close. Open might also have a chance to create a second skill that tosses something out for a debuff or damage.

Hm, perhaps Open's summon might actually be its "true form", increased attack but decreased damaged as well, with a lower chance to close.

2. Potted Plant - Hm, probably a suicide attacker of sorts. Rosy Scent could probably lure the player to sleep. Drop could probably have a higher chance at sleep, but it'll damage both the player and itself.

Hm, maybe each Drop deals increased damage but the third Drop will kill the pot regardless of health and inflict Dirt. Dirt might be useful in aggroing other mobs...

3. Bed - Hm, easily some sort of Sleep mechanic here. Perhaps in exchange for Counting Sheeps and Lullaby as ways of sleeping, it can use an Alarm Clock to deal heavy damage to sleepers.

Well, if I have day/night mechanics, I could be cruel by making Bed losses automatically make it day, which in some RPGs can skip plenty of activities.

4. Plaque - Well, I was going to go with laser eyes. However, what if Plaque summons its ghost on the first turn and uses buffs the rest of the battle? As for the ghost, assume it's a moose.

BottleCapGames

Eventing Overlord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fireflyege I have races and classes of enemies in my games. For example, the races like Goblin, Orc, Wild and Bandit are based on pure damage, with classes for the enemies like Brute, Scout, Warrior, Mage and Archer. It something often seen in tactics games. But then again, my game is a tactics game, soooooo yeah... :rswt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

is there a script call that return how much turn has passed in battle?
Does anyone find this hard to read?

Enjoying my weekend at home to stay Covid free. How is everyone else doing?
If you enjoy speed mapping for RPG Maker MV check out my YouTube Channel. My latest video includes custom made tiles which makes a simple map look dynamic!

Check out my short game Hikari's World! : Chapter I, on itch.io/games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyben