wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Monster Garden

Now on Steam:

Monster Garden is a short but sweet game about walking and talking with monsters. There is no battle system, leveling up, or epic narrative about saving the world - but there IS amusing dialogue and lots and lots of monster love.

Meet Mr. Bobo, your orange friend with a big rear-end who will guide you through wild and wonderful worlds to meet new monsters and create a home for yourselves in the Monster Garden. You start out just with one friend, shy pink Foofter, but depending on how you play you could end up with a party of six or more monsters out of a total of more than ten. Other monsters include a spinning Victorian baby hippo named Baby, a confident one-eyed monster in a dress named Feb, and Tookis, a unicycling member of the Booty Biker Boy gang. There are secret characters like mysterious and sinister Drizzy and Foofter's dark alter ego, Doofter. How you engage with mysterious forces along the way determines what monsters join you and how your garden grows.

The demo takes about 15-30 minutes to complete, and the final game will take at most one hour. Although it is short, your playthrough will be very different depending on what you do and what monsters join you. There is no battle system, but there are small puzzles and dialogue choices to determine your path. Each "seedling" area has a themeーlike the haunting feeling that something is wrong in the first seedling, or anxious pressure to hurry up in the secondーand each monster offers its own response, from serious to joking to dark or playful. You should choose whatever feels right to you - there is no way to lose, and every possible option affects the garden different and attracts different monsters to join you. Even rejecting all monsters and rushing through seedling areas carelessly changes the garden and attracts new monsters. Welcoming all monsters and exploring every nook and cranny leads to other changes, and so on. It will take at least three playthroughs to see every monster.

Current features:

・Two (out of three) seedlings to explore, with multiple endings to each

・11 monsters to recruit

・Light-hearted, funny dialogue

Download it here (for Mac users, please download through itch.io/app):

https://wzackw.itch.io/monster-garden

Attachments

Last edited:

FKAexe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I already played the demo and It was so good, I think i got the best garden possible, you put the right clues in the right places. I completed it in like 17 minutes. One thing that I recommend is changing the Loading screen, it adds more immersion to your world. And also I confused some
times over who of the characters were talking, but the musid, design and puzzles are great

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I already played the demo and It was so good, I think i got the best garden possible, you put the right clues in the right places. I completed it in like 17 minutes. One thing that I recommend is changing the Loading screen, it adds more immersion to your world. And also I confused some
times over who of the characters were talking, but the musid, design and puzzles are great
Thanks for the feedback and for playing! Maybe it would help if the character's name is at the beginning of every text box? Or is it because I made the text window's so small? I really like that small size better, though...

And great idea about the loading screens. It only appears on the web version, though, and ultimately I want it to be download only. Still, I should make something unique. :)

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Art style is very original, and it looks like a short and simple game!
I feel like the default text and default windows clash with the artwork of the game, but overall it looks good!

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Art style is very original, and it looks like a short and simple game!
I feel like the default text and default windows clash with the artwork of the game, but overall it looks good!
Thanks!
Actually I made a unique text box, unique cursor, and I'm using a different font and size than the automatic one:

But maybe you meant the old pictures? I guess I should update the ones here and on my site! Thanks for pointing that out!

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that looks WAY better. Nice job!

Lunixx

Vampiric Empress
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I downloaded this instantly to see how an RPG without combat would be. I mean besides Harvest Moon. My first reaction "This is like a weird acid trip." and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Toe Jam & Earl in a way. Which was a weird and great game (I can't believe they're getting a new game!). Anyways, I enjoyed it and can't wait to see a "100%" title :)

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I downloaded this instantly to see how an RPG without combat would be. I mean besides Harvest Moon. My first reaction "This is like a weird acid trip." and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Toe Jam & Earl in a way. Which was a weird and great game (I can't believe they're getting a new game!). Anyways, I enjoyed it and can't wait to see a "100%" title :)
Hey, thank you so much! The games it usually reminds people of are: Toe Jam & Earl (which I loved the side-scrolling version of and was super inspired by), Undertale and Earthbound. But it was secretly also inspired by Harvest Moon 64 and especially Paladin's Quest.

Anyway, I'm hoping to finish and release it this year! Thanks for playing!

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Monster Garden is now on Steam Greenlight! I wasn't really planning to have it happen like this, but Valve said they're planning to discontinue Greenlight in "spring," so any day now, and I'm already nearly finished and have a trailer, so I thought, "...Why not?"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905017346

Wish me luck! Any votes would be great. :)

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The game's officially done and coming out on Steam and itch February 8th! Wish me luck. :)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I moved this to Commercial Game Releases since it will be out for sale soon

And congrats. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
    Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
    putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
    I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    voltrone