Monster Hatching System/Monster Allies

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by KorvasTerindar, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KorvasTerindar

KorvasTerindar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey everyone. I've recently started to plan a project in RPG Maker MV based upon my experiences with an old PS1 game that I recently took to playing. It really resonates with me so I decided to make my own, upgraded, experience in the same vein as it. I am however currently stuck on trying to figure out how to get one of the core concepts of the game to work. Basically, the player will have the ability of finding monster eggs as they explore into a dungeon that they can then bring back home, hatch, and then take with them as AI controlled party members to help them fight in the dungeon to progress further and further into it. The monster isn't supposed to be like a typical party member, with fixed stats, and instead is supposed to have semi-random stats (within a range unique to that monster) so that the player is encouraged to seek out and find better ones, or to upgrade the ones they have. The Monsters are supposed to be deposit-able back into a storage area and retrieved whenever the player wants to use them. If anyone has any ideas about how to get this to work, or would be willing to write a system for it, I'd be very grateful!

RetroExcellent likes this.
  2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I liked Azure Dreams too!

You might be able to cobble together some plugins together creatively to get something approaching what you have in mind, but I don't think there's anything out there right now that will get you all the way there (especially if you want the monster allies to move around intelligently rather than simply fight in turn-based battles). Maybe someone will have a better answer than I have, but my instinct is that this is the kind of thing for which you'd either need to learn JS and make half of it yourself, or spend several hundred dollars commissioning a custom plugin that can do everything you want.

RetroExcellent likes this.
  3. KorvasTerindar

First Language:
    English
    Lol, you even got the game right! XD I don't mind making them characters you control, it would certainly simplify some things. I did see a monster/character storage plugin on site, so I could use that. Mostly, I'm just trying to figure out the eggs, hatching, and semi-random stats thing.

4. Johnboy

Johnboy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A lot of this can be achieved with available plugins and some creative eventing.

Here's my main question though: is this going to be a turn based battle system, or are you planning on using one of the ABS that are available? The difficulty of pulling this off with an ABS might end up pretty high (although I don't use one so I can't say for certain).

As far as the egg thing goes, most of that can be done with a variable, switch and a common event. You'd have your egg acquired however you wanted (random drop, placed, chest, etc.). Then you'd take it back to your home, activate an event (incubator) which checks for the existence of an egg, flips on a switch designated for hatching, which begins a common event (timer). This common event basically acts as a behind the scenes counter which increases a variable every # of frames until it reaches a limit imposed in the incubator, at which point the next time you'd check the incubator event, it would tell you that the egg has hatched.

It sounds really complicated but I assure you it's relatively easy to do. As for what hatches, if you had specific monsters coming from specific eggs, you could create multiple copies of the same monster and have a variable rolled when you find out the egg hatched to see which copy of the monster you got. Each copy would have random stats set in your limits. There might be another way to do this, I'm not sure.

Actually now that I think about it if you wanted to build a turn based version of Azure Dreams, it could totally be pulled off with stuff already available. The only question is how creative are you willing to get with what's available?

5. KorvasTerindar

First Language:
    English
    Yeah. I think it will be. I've got a a time system script which could be tied to an incubation script and I was considering instead of random stats like maybe add a fusion system where monsters of the same type could be fused into more powerful version, up to a certain number of times. This would simplify things.

As for the battle system, I downloaded the tactics turn based combat plugin because it most closely resembeled what I wanted, but I'm not entirely sure how the sprites will work. I haven't had the chance to experiment with anything yet. Other than that, I'm also trying to figure out how to do random level generation but I think I got a good lead there.