RMMV Monster Reign (No Travel Game Jam Entry)

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is my game for my No Travel Game Jam. You go through the Tower of The Seven Deadly Sins to stop monsters from coming out, and attacking the city.

The Tower of sin located in the city of Arkdale is home to monsters, and the seven deadly sins.
Once every week monsters been coming out of the tower, and attacking the city. Prince Marvick the king's brother sets out with a group of knights, but doesn't take his best sword master, mage, or lancer. It is said that no one has made it beyond the first floor of the tower. When King Clovis finds out his brother did this, his sends his best sword master Crystal, best mage Alena, and best lancer Drake to find him. When they get to the tower, and find him he wants to go to the remaining floors to stop the monsters who are coming out, and attacking the city.

Credits:

Graphics:
DS, and DS + Resource Pack

Music:
DS Resource Pack

Tukito

Audio Stock Resource Pack Vol 1

Plugins:
Yanfly

Mog Hunter

The download:

Download

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Monster Reign.

I took some time to play your game today, The intro story I really enjoyed, It was straight to the point and the dialogue was written very well too! I can see your story style would suit many people who enjoy a good narrative. I tend not to spoil the game through comments, but I enjoyed the first 10-15 minutes through to the stage / tower floor of the adventure.

I tend not to over judge an RPG Maker game, we get some stick for the use of of the music and sounds already packed in, so I'll focus on your game quality, the story and effort you put in from my point of view.

The battles with the enemies were very balanced, though It would be great if the TP stored remained after each battle as I was unable to gain the TP needed for special skills. Each team members skills were balanced and really useful too. I don't know much about MV and the skills which would have been made, but yours were great and I tend to use a variety of skills rather then the same one, all were very effective including the attack command, each normal attack did a good amount of damage to finish off an enemy at least. MP recharging is a good bonus and I found that one of my team members died.

After a battle I went to use the revive skill and found that the team member was revived after battle. A really thoughtful feature there. more variety of battles would have been good, but from what I understand you can't go back a stage once you've cleared it, so maybe each stage has it's own set of enemies which as I found do get harder :).

A sleight issue after clearing the first part of the story and heading in to town I was a bit lost because I skipped the dialogue . I explored the stores and buildings and found no problems, store prices all good too. I know in my game I made stuff cheap which could then (without knowing) Could be sold for double figures... No issues with prices though in your game, buy and sell is fair for all items.

All in all, I got to the second stage and did a few battles there, It's a neat adventure and I never dared touch the gold. I felt a sense of the classic RPG game, where you advance through stages where they get harder each time and a new very tricky challenge pops up. :)
Good luck in the Jam!

My only improvement would be to name the tower floors as stages and announce each stage before going in. This would give the tower some path building and player overall progress bar.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
REVIEW

Before beginning the review itself, I'd like to say that I am uncertain that this game meets the limitation requirement of the Game Jam. It is meant to take place within a town/city/village. However, your Tower appears to have no organic connection with the town at all beyond vague references to it being "in our town". It is more like the dungeon shown bottom left corner of the diagram in this post. We don’t see the tower from within the town, just a break in the town wall to indicate that’s where we have to go. Then when we do see the tower, the surrounding terrain looks very different from that of the town, different sky, and lighting. Even the entrance road is a different width from that of the road at the top of the town map so cannot be a continuation of that road. It feels like the town is tacked on to justify the tower. (See my comments about the town mapping below).

Proofreading
This appears to have been overlooked. The very first sentence the player sees has a typo in it: “diffiucltly” instead of "difficulty". The first dialogue box has another with “a head of us” instead of “ahead of us”. The next dialogue box has a missing word and “hand full” instead of “handful” And so on throughout the game for what dialogue there is. Proofreading is essential. It should never be neglected. As you still have around 2 weeks before the deadline, I would like to recommend that you go through your text and correct it. That will immediately give a better impression to the player.

Story
Coherence is important, not just in the sense of avoiding obvious plot holes, or contradictions, but also in the way that the characters embody the story you have to tell. These characters are meant to be the best of their type – would they really go into a known mega-hazard with virtually no equipment, and what they have is pretty pathetic? Also with only a few items, and those low grade as well? The king is sending them off to rescue his brother with no money for supplies? Oh, and they're all Level One. It just doesn’t hang together as a narrative. All the details of gear, items etc should reflect what the story is trying to tell me about these people. With their inventory and gear they come across as newbies trying to act big. Obviously you don't want to rebalance everything, but there are cosmetic ways round this. You could easily start them off with the same stats but set at e.g. Level 6 so that the player has the impression that they've been round the block at least a couple of times. Change the name of the gear so that it sounds a bit more advanced without changing the stats there either.

A story also needs characters. It needs something to flesh out the snippet given at the beginning. These characters say nothing to each other. They make no comment on what is happening to them. They do not develop, they do not show any facets of their personality. They do not interact with each other. They just trundle along. In essence, there is no story, just a single plot device.

This might be something you have a look at in the remaining time. There are a number of fairly obvious places where you could easily insert some dialogue, either between the characters or as a discussion of what they are seeing/finding, e.g. the fact that some enemies sneak up on them totally unseen (random encounters) while others just stand around (the pigs in the Greed floor). They could easily be asking themselves why anyone would construct a place like this. From the little info we have at the beginning it seems that no one knows anything about the Tower. How likely is that? If the Tower were in the town, surely people would have found out something about it, even if it were just rumours spread by the workers who actually built the thing?

Mapping
Maps are one of the biggest tools you have to tell your story. Everything happens on them. They convey the tone, the atmosphere, as well as the environment where the characters act. They should be supporting the narrative in both subtle and obvious ways. These maps do not. There is no atmosphere, e.g. differences in screen tinting to suggest that the Tower is not the same as the outside world. They are featureless.

Many maps (e.g. the tavern and some of the rooms on each level) are too big, empty and therefore uninteresting. The town map has well over 50% space with nothing on it. No town is built like that. It needs to be much more compact. Town mapping styles vary, but many would say that it needs to have at least some feel that people live there. Here we have a town with not a single house for anyone to live in, other than the shop or whatever. This is passed off with a wave of the hand and a comment at the southern exit to suggest that of course there are houses etc. but someplace else. No NPCs around, absolutely nothing to suggest that anyone is there. Not a dog, cat or bird to give it a bit of life. Just endless grey patches which are not interesting to walk around.

You are suggesting that this is the main/only shopping and social area. One exit is to the Castle. One, theoretically, is to the Tower and the third is to the residential area. There is, again theoretically, no exit to the outside world from here. Yet particularly where there is an Inn, this would be the map that does have a road leading out of the town. No town is going to be built so that visitors to it have to traipse through the houses to reach lodging for the night. I strongly recommend that you study town maps in other peoples’ games to see what works and what doesn’t.

The mapping of the tower does not convey the idea of a tower. There are no indications of going up or down because there are no stairs. I might have expected to perhaps go round, but I go forward again and again in a way which doesn’t give the sense of it being within a building with restrictions. The floors are just arbitrary (that word is going to come up again) shapes connected by long narrow corridors with nothing on either side, just a room at the beginning and end of each branch. There are no windows until floor 3, nothing. This could be anywhere or any type of building, as long as that building was shaped something like an aircraft hanger - vast spaces going forward.

It's difficult to be sure, but I got the impression that floors 2 & 3 (I got no further) do not map over floor one in terms of size and shape. Upper floors can be smaller, and often are, but they aren't usually a different shape with some bits wider and some bits narrower.

You appear to have neglected to set some of your passabilities. I can walk all over the plants, the blue stone jar, the cupboard with the open door etc. On floor 3 you have taken one half of a double bookcase and tried to use it as a single bookcase. That doesn't work, as you have a wooden frame on the left side and open shelves on the right. You need to go back and check all your passabilities and choice of tile.

Gameplay
I needed to earn some money to buy items, so at the entrance to the first level I have a few fights by touching the gold bars. In none of them do I need to do anything except mash attack. That’s it. Nothing more. But it gets weird as soon as I fight anything else. The gold bar fight gives 80 EXP and 175 gold. The random encounter, with enemies of pretty much the same difficulty, gives 20 EXP and 30 gold. This makes no sense. It just feels arbitrary. This sense of arbitrariness continues when I reach the next set of gold bars. Out of the blue they give me stat changes. No indication that this is going to happen, no way I can get back the debuffs. Are these changes permanent or only until the next battle? I have no way of knowing, as the numbers on the status pages don’t change. No way I can make interesting, strategic decisions about game play. No, it’s going to be at the mercy of the RNG. And it clearly doesn’t like me as in several of the random encounters I had 2 misses out of 3 attacks in every round. You might like to look at how you’re balancing out either your HIT stat or your enemy EVA stat.

At another set of gold bars it asks me if I want to take some. I say yes (and get the stat changes) but I do not get any extra gold. This contradicts what the question seemed to imply i.e. that I was balancing out the risk of stat changes with the benefit of more gold.

I only started using skills against random encounters on floor 3 and that was mainly to finish off quickly the one enemy (usually the one on the right of the 3) who did all-party attacks.

One character has elemental attacks. What does one element do that differs from any other element other than having a different animation? Elements are frequently given side effects e.g. Fire can inflict Burn (DoT), Ice can either slow the target down by making them cold or, because freezing causes things to become brittle, can give a DEF debuff. Water can increase the damage if it is followed up with Lightning, and so on. The only difference I can see, other than the animations, is that some cost more than others. Why does Flame cost 5MP and Thunder cost 8MP? Or Ice cost 15MP and Wind 20MP? There must be something to justify the difference, or else this is just another arbitrary decision. One skill she has does blind the enemy (not an elemental skill, so it doesn't contradict what I've just said), but Blind is only useful in a longish battle in order to justify giving up an action which causes damage. However, none of my battles before floor 3 lasted more than 2 rounds, and the second (if it happened) was just to mop up the remain enemy of the 3. It was, therefore, never necessary for me to use it, and would, in fact, have been disadvantageous to do so, as more enemies would have survived to give damage to me.

Of the other skills that characters have, a disproportionate number are buffing/debuffing. The same comment applies to them as for Blind. In Boss battles for the first round I used Attack down on the enemy, defense up on the party and tried using Mute - which, btw, never took, with Alena dealing damage. Greed went down in 2 rounds, the other 2 took 3. At no time was using their TP Overdrive skill an option as I never got anywhere near enough TP charged to be able to use it.

There is the suggestion that puzzles/traps are intended. On one floor I threw a switch. I have no idea what that did. There was no indication. On another floor I get the instruction to "Disarm the trap in order to proceed." What trap? I went round that floor carefully, alert to something nasty happening, but nothing ever did. I got to the end of the level and saw a blindingly obvious floor switch which I activated. Was that it? If you are going to do switches for things, they need to be set up in some way so that their connection with the puzzle/trap/whatever can be understood. Otherwise it is yet another arbitrary thing I have to do which makes no obvious sense.

You posted this game very early. I would like to suggest that if you have spare time before a deadline you use it to polish everything, check everything, playtest multiple times, maybe find someone else to play it and give you some feedback. No one is going to play the game the way you do, and players will find things you never even thought of. I don't see anything in the Rules for this Jam which would prevent you having a look at some of the things I've mentioned, so that a more polished version can be made available.

I'm sorry if this Review comes across as mainly negative. This is almost inevitably the consequence when a game is rushed through in just a few days. If that had been all that was available, then due allowance could be made. But it is not the case here. It has to be evaluated against the standard one would expect of a game that has one month in which to be made.

Last edited:

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes You're fine. I can see you're just trying to help. Also the switch on the second floor was to stop the door from eating you. If you tried to go through it without deactivating the trap. Also I did the half book cases on purpose to make them look broken, but I can see I failed. It tells you who built the tower at the end after you clear all seven floors, and fight the final boss. I don't think it's a good idea for me to give a long explanation of the tower in the opening since this is a small game. Thank you for mentioning my typo at the beginning I appreciate it. I have to think on the floor maps, because I have trouble mapping dungeons.

RetroExcellent

Cute Kiwi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MONSTER REIGN REVIEW

OVERVIEW/KEYNOTES

• Interesting title screen, but lacking proper capitalization.
  • The options for difficulty are nice, assuming they work as intended. (trying normal)
  • The dialogue could use some serious editing, the grammar is as improper as it gets.
  • A small cutscene with the king’s brother in the tower would go a long way to providing atmosphere and a sense of urgency.
  • The custom busts combined with the FES style sprites works wonderfully well.
  • Why do they know the tower holds the Seven Deadly Sins if they are still exploring it? How does a tower just pop up in a city with no one knowing how?
  • How are the two girls having a conversation with Drake when he is 25 feet away at the bar? Are they shouting? This seems inconsiderate to other patrons.
  • Why would Marick enter the tower without the best Lancer, Swordsman and Mage in the first place? He seems bad at judgement.
  • The mapping is not terrible but could benefit a bit from shift clicking.
  • If the tower is in the middle of the city why is it surrounded by water, fog and darkness?
  • If these 3 are the best of the best, why are they level 1? Consider starting them at level 3-4 to show their experience.
  • Since only one character uses a shield, consider replacing that with armor and having shields be an accessory that only he can use.
  • The maps in town looked good, but the tower maps are a bit lacking.
  • The combat characters look wonderful!
  • Since there are so many magical elements, an ability to determine an enemies weakness could be helpful.
  • Along with starting at a higher level consider your experience balance. Going from level 1 to level 3 from a single easy fight is a bit much, even for a jam game.
  • Self switches are your friends. The touching the gold thing was amusing once, but being able to do it over and over is too much.
  • Check your notifications, just easily went up to level 4 and got a notification that I got a new skill, but nothing was there. If it is just a section that notifies you of new skills, try to find a way to not have it show up until you actually learn one.
  • “This is what will happen if you touch the gold” really doesn’t need to be there. Honestly the first warning sign was plenty, and this one doesn’t make a lot of sense.
  • How does the Lancer use a shield with a two handed weapon, but the swordmaster with a single hand cannot?
  • Consider your enemies, if this is a floor of greed you should have enemies that reflect that. Perhaps imps known for theft, mimics and others would work better than slimes and random jrpg standards.
  • The battles are unbalanced, aside from the snake when you touch the treasure nothing is remotely dangerous.
  • TP remember is useful, the battles end so quickly I have not had a chance to even try my TP skills out.
  • The boss was kind of a joke. He hit hard, but was easily made docile with poison, and a defense buff. He could benefit from some other skills, maybe life steal since he is Greed?
  • The town map does not fit the theme of the rest of the game. Everything else said this was a fantasy world, but the town exterior is modern?
  • How is maverick using a 2 handed sword and a shield?
  • Why is there a door I cannot enter in the bar?
  • You could really benefit from some floor themed puzzles. Instead it is just a ‘do not do this because sin’ and that is a little lackluster.
  • The second floor monsters are insanely harder than the previous floor, that is a severe lack of balance. If I had not bought all the best gear I would have gotten destroyed.
  • The art for the Prince does not match the rest, why is his armor so over detailed, but his head looks like a hand drawn sketch?
  • The encounter rate is pretty high.
  • The tower maps are very large and empty, not the best look.

STORY

The story is not bad, but it really failed to engage me. I felt no sense of urgency or desire on any of the characters' parts, even the king when it came to saving the brother. No one was really invested in ending the threat of the tower, but just kind of went along because they should. I really felt like this should have a big, world shattering deal but it was not really presented in that way. You did wonderful art with the faces and busts, consider doing more to give them some emotion when they talk, and also consider having someone edit your dialogue. - 2.5/5

GAMEPLAY

The gameplay was pretty lackluster, the combat did not do anything interesting and despite having all these cool skills, nothing felt unique. Maverick has the worst skill set, with as quickly as the battles are over his status effects don't do much. His healing is nice, but even that is not needed very often. A major rebalance of the combat is needed to make this feel interesting. - 2 / 5

MAPS

I thought the maps were going to be amazing when I first started playing, but once you hit the tower you quickly realize they were kind of just thrown together. The maps need some major planning, some traps and or puzzles and just something to make them feel unique from each other. In addition, just dropping gold all over the place, or tables with food doesn't really get the feel of greed or gluttony. I would recommend reading up on the seven deadly sins and see what all they encompass, even using RTP you can still get those effects. 1 / 5

GRAPHICS

This is where the game shines most heavily. The use of FES with your custom busts looks great. A few of the busts do look out of place, such as Maverick’s combat bust, it kind of feels like it is armor pulled from another picture and his head stuck on it, like a bad photoshop. It is just far too detailed compared to the rest of the wonderfully done busts. This requires very little tweaking, but you may also consider making custom boss graphics just to add a bit more of your strong suit to the game. 4 / 5

OVERVIEW

You did pretty good, but there are a lot of little places, and even a few major, where you could use some improvement. In the end these are just my recommendations, but do take another look at your game and consider where you can improve. The game does not feel like a finished product at this point, and you should still have some time to spare to really get that feel.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll allow it, I haven't had the time to play it, but being really hardline about a competition with just participation prizes doesn't feel like the right move. That said, try to stay more solidly within the boundaries in events from now on.

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you. Sorry there was just some confusion on my side. I thought having only one dungeon would count. Next time I'll ask for confirmation before I do anything to be safe.

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to say that I fixed a spelling error, and fixed up some maps that were bad the best could.

EDIT: Fixed the screen tone when you're at the tower. Fixed map passibilities . Fixed more spelling errors. And updated the download with the new file.

Last edited:

dazed

dazed and confused
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright! I just played this, but I've gotten stuck on floor 3 as I've been transported into the middle of a wall and can't move. I'm guessing this wasn't intentional?

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

STORY AND CHARACTERS
So it's a simple story, but what I was missing from this was character engagement. I want to learn more about these characters. Why is Marvick in the tower? Why does he say he has to go to the top? Why does everyone seem to so quickly agree to accompany him, when this tower has been regarded as so deadly for so long? I think there was an opportunity in the short argument they have about whether they should accompany Marvick, but it felt too short to really learn much more about the characters. I would've liked to see more speech from the characters so I could better get a sense of them.

On a slightly unrelated note, I love how badass Marvick looked but then he had a whole bunch of healing skills; and the door that said "this door tries to eat you" made me laugh. Okay, door.

GAMEPLAY
At the start, I liked the variety of skills that the characters had. But as they levelled up, I didn't seem to be getting any more skills? The level-up display would say "new skill", but I didn't have any new skills. I'm not sure if I was missing something. I also felt that I seemed to level up too quickly - it felt like I was levelling up after either every battle/every other battle. I know I was playing on easy mode, but it felt a little too easy.

This may also be a little bit pedantic, but it felt in some places like there were too many treasure chests? It was raining items! (Which I probably shouldn't complain about because it's good for me, but just a point of note.) This might've been less noticeable if some of them had been less easily accessible, I think.

Marvick's healing skills also felt way too strong. Being able to heal all party members at once and fully heal one is a lot of power to bestow, especially right from the get-go. In terms of balance, he also seemed to be the strongest character physically - this may have been intentional on your part as a "will you choose to attack or heal", but he just felt too strong. I also struggled with using Alena from around level 8 onward as she didn't seem to be able to match the damage of the other characters with her magic.

The bosses seemed a little plain - could've used a few more skills from them, I think!

I think the prices in the shop were a little odd. The strongest weapons were barely more expensive than the second-strongest weapons (I went into town after the floor of Greed), but the shields were really expensive in comparison! I think the strongest weapons should've been more like shield prices.

GRAPHICS
So I think the (correct me if I'm mentioning the wrong pack) FES tiles really suit dungeon crawlers like this, and it really did set that kind of classic RPG vibe. I also really like the art! It's nice to see the personal touch of the personal busts. I'm a sucker for a portrait-style text layout, so it was nice to see that paired with your busts. I also really enjoyed the battle UI.

MAPPING
I love the tiles, but a lot of the mapping felt a little simplistic and bare. A lot of the tower's interior decor was quite repetitive, and for the floors of the tower I was on, it felt a little too easy. I always knew where I was going, and it was easy to tell when I was going the wrong way and correct my path. I would've appreciated more rooms and a little bit more time to wander around and get lost. The town also seemed unnecessarily large - I think the buildings could've been put closer together and the whole map made smaller, as it felt like I was doing a lot of running around.

One miscellaneous note is that, when we first meet our three protagonists in the bar, the text book is obscuring both of them, so I wasn't sure where they were or where to look and was a little confused!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Personally, I enjoyed what I played until I sadly got stuck in a wall!

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Maj Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry you got stuck. I just re uploaded the file, so you can download the fixed version and copy your save to it if you want to resume playing. I am very sorry about that.

dazed

dazed and confused
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Maj Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry you got stuck. I just re uploaded the file, so you can download the fixed version and copy your save to it if you want to resume playing. I am very sorry about that.
Thank you! And it's no problem :)

Gokasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Rose Guardian ,

I am new to the community, so I will try to keep it short, hope you don't mind :)

Art and character:

I like the start screen and the beginning story, but my only con is that I don't like the background for the Menu. Don't get me wrong, the menu looks great, but that brownish color just don't seem good to me, maybe if it was a little bit darker.
All in all great job.

Battle:

I like your battle system, I would just like if the TP(if I am not wrong about what it is called) would stay after defeating the enemy, so you could use your specials more often.

I think that the enemies are a little easy at the beginning, and I dint like some of the enemy combinations, I wish they would be more compatible.
Only time I was able to use the TP is with the floor boss battles, and it seems ok, but wish I could use them more often :)

Overall:

I liked the game, and the graphics and battle system, just would like if the floors were a little more interesting and that the random encounters were with a little longer break in between, but all in all pleasurable experience, and I liked it.

Hope to see more of your games, so keep up the great work!

All the best and keep safe!

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
# Synopsis and story telling

Overall :
There is a story on this game, and a dominant theme. But they never meet.
The tower is about the deadly sins. The story is about the return of an ancien enemy.
We know in the end of the game why is the tower here. To lock that powerfull guy in. But we finally know nothing about the guy, his power, why he was captured, and by who ?
Well, wizards. But who are these wizards ?
And as I said, why in a tower of the sins ?
The tower must be old, but it seems the monsters attack from here since recently.
Why do they attack now ?
Something should happen that provoque the apparition of monsters, the decision to attack the tower, and the return of the enemy.
All of this can be linked, I think, easily. By some kind of traitor, depletion of a magical barrier ...

On the start, we may need a bit of geographical context.
When we see the tower for the first time, it doesn't look like it's in the city.
With the water and stuff.
Just a text saying "north of the wall" or something. Why not making it an old big lighthouse on a dock, appropriated by monsters.
It could even add a symbole of a building designed to guide turning to a host to the seven deadly sins.

We find small enemies on the first floors. If monster attack the town, why is there just wasp and bats on 3rd floor?
The monsters are not related to the sins, at least before the lust and pride.
At least, the specificities on map are. (cakes, gold)

Characters :
The characters seems to have a bit of a personality.
There is not much of story times, but we can still reconize some traits.
Marvin want to clear the tower and save the city, without involving and risking the life of other people (it match the paladin idea)
Crystal is the loyal warrior who know what she have to do
Drake is ... not

One thing I like in games, it's when someone refer as the characters as the strongest of their category, they don't start lvl 1.
Here, we start lvl 1, and we have just one weapon. Juste a little bit more, event an useless piece of equipment would be better.
We already have the skills tho.
But lvl 5 or 6, why not 20, with adjustments to have the same stats.
But it's more here about story telling.

Sumed up :
Things I liked
- Characters are not flat, for the speaking time they have.
Things I liked less
- No link between the tower and the main story.
- The last enemy comes "like a hair on the soup".
- We don't start as "the best of our category".
Remarks

# Graphics, interface and use of visual space

Overall :
I will just notify the difference of style between the town clean graphics, and the rest "noisy" graphics.
But as one is inside, the other outside, it's not
There is a tileset error, on the windows tiles (there is a visible line)
The character match the outside style.

The busts and battlers are really nice.
I prefered the busts, and I wouldn't mind haveing them in battle.

Menus, windowskins and battles :
I don't know if the images are from you, but I like them.
The whole is in the same tones, even if the battle windows aren't the same as menu windows.
Some battle windows are stretched, and therefore pixelated. (target selection)
I think the message windows for dialogues and items found could be either full width or centered.

Sumed up :
Things I liked
- Nice user interface, for menu and battle
- The battlers and busts
Things I liked less
-
Remarks
Bugs

# Mechanics and gameplay

Battles :
I disarmed a spider.
I used "sleep" on the sloth floor, it did nothing

The first monsters have huge damage difference. Some do 40, other do 9.
But overall, the battles very nicely balanced.
I almost never skipped a fight, so I didn't rush, while leveling without forcing. And the game worked that way.
So it fine.

Except the moment I realised flash kill everybody in the first floors.
So I just wiped everybody, almost leveled up every fight, regain max mana, repeat next fight.
Sometimes an enemy use a big skill that make mass damages to the full team, I was surprised, but it occured not so much and was perfectly manageable.
I hate when in a RPG maker game one encounter is easily beaten and the next destroy the whole team. But it worked well here.
After a few battles, I used the same spells on most fights.
round 1 : flash blade - rally - flash - mute
round 2 : flash blade - valor - ice - attack
On boss fights, I think I used all of the skills I had to my disposition.

one thing I find "meh" is the TP management.
I used my TP on the last tree bosses I guess.
And on one of them, 2 of the overdrive never came as the boss died before.

The last battle has a good point. I wanted to try to focus only Jyle, and see if killing just him would end the fight (in the story logic) and it did.
I was proud.
The poor guy stayed paralyzed, taking damage from the 5 of us.
yes, I confused the guy he himself confused.

Sumed up :
Things I liked
- The balance
- The variety of skills
Things I liked less
- I almost never used my TP
Remarks
Bugs

# Mapping, level desing

Overall :
The mapping is super simple.
It's only long corridors, and big rooms with a few dead ends.
The decorations are simple

We can't read some of the tablets.
If there is one at the entrance, and if there is only a little details on the maps, these details should be readable tablets, or not tablets.
(because the player will assign this sprite to an information event)

Elements on map
I used a lever, I don't know the result, I suppose I unlocked sometyhing ?
Same thing later, I pushed a button, I don't know what it did.
We find many chest on the first floors, and then almost none.
I never really used any items so it was no problem, and we are supposed to have enough gold. But we could find better items, or equipments.
Finally, I don't know if it's a good or bad point, I will just put it in remarks.
I never tried any gold or cake at first.
Then I tried after saving. I did it once, and never repeated. There are not appealing, I don't see why anybody would try them.
Maybe if it gave full mana it would be interesting.
I supposed these goblin are here for a reason, like show me wich food I shouldn't eat.
But it seems they aren't. Are they clues I didn't understand ?

The lobby door change depending the floor you are cleaning. At first, I though it was a bug.
But I got it now, and I think the door should be more explicit. They don't really reflect the sin in my opinion.
Just the color or the rooms.

I will finish with the random encounter
In that game, the fights are balanced, so it's ok. But damn I don't like them in the long run.
I prefer 2 time less fights giving twice the rewards, because it becomes repetitive.
Eventually, I skipped all of them for the wrath, pride, and lust. After fighting a few time the guys at the dancers.
Great reward, easy fight.

Sumed up :
Things I liked
- The town easy to read, easy to walk
Things I liked less
- It doesn't look like a tower
- The mapping is either too simple, or not enough
- The buttons and lever
Remarks
- Chests are rarer on last floors
Bugs
- I couldn't leave the Inn on my first game.
I never tried again on the next.

# My experience

Overall, I enjoyed the game.
But ... I think there is a little something that could have make it greater.
The main part of the game is just the route of a dungeon, with nice balanced fights.

But in the end of the story, finally, the theme of sins reveal nothing.
Also, Jyle just pop out of nowhere. We had no informations about him.
Why was he sealed in this tower? Why monsters are going out ? What does the wizards had in mind back when they locked him ?
So the fight created no surprise, I was just like ... what ? Who is he ? Is he dangerous ?
And I didn't really care actually. I just paralyzed him, confused the guy he confused himself, and did we all beaten up a temporary tetraplegique dude ?
Yes we did.
Maybe adding a back story to prepare that fight would have been welcome.

A few ideas for both the lack of theme and apparition on Jyle:

The levels should be more anchored in the theme.
For exemple, you could put more chests in the greed level, but half of them have malus, or will attack you.
Even better, you could have monsters, like "gold elemental", or "silver spirit" doing damage based on your actual gold in inventory.
Of course, you have to inform the player.
"That's weird ... every time thih thing attacked me, I felt like my purse was giving off heat"

For the gluttony level, monster could have a weakness against poison. I don't know if it isn't already the case. I found that the boss took a lot of damage with the posion.
Here is an idea for that boss :
Make him invicible. He is to far, or to resistant to your attacks.
OR he heal to much.
Give him allies, and make him eat one of them each turn (and replace the dead wit ha new one)
He heals by eating them, and grow. He will grow until he is tall enough to eat the characters one after the other.
And, eventually, tall enough to eat the whole party at once, for an instant gameover.
Once again, you have to inform the player.
"Damn ! This thing is growing visibly! It will be big enough able to eat us !"

The only way to kill him would be by passing by his mouth :
poison his allies, and wait for him to eat them.
After eating 3 or 4 poisonous monster, he die.

We should have clue about a gigher power after each bosses.
A good way to develop characters and the story, without revealing the end would be to have cinematics after each bosses

After the pride, an explanation of how a mysterious power took advantage of the pride of valorous knights,
after gluttony, how starvation forced the people to join that power against lords ...
And finally how the wizard have stopped this and built a lighthouse (idea in the first section of my review) to guide the new generations

The decline of this generations could be the event triggering his return.

Last edited:

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hinola Thank you for your review. I was having trouble, and still am coming up with the reasons for the stuff you mentioned, but I will remember that stuff for my games, and this one. That way no one gets confused. I don't normally work will with a deadline to be honest.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gave this game a try, but unfortunately ran into a bug after beating the first boss. I'm not re-downloading any games (just getting them all the first time made my internet cry :rswt) so I don't know if you've already fixed things, apologies in advance if I mention things that no longer apply.
First thing I noticed was that the screen was so wide! I don't quite understand why you chose that size, perhaps it fits your computer screen but to me it just seemed much larger than necessary. The large size means that maps needed to be bigger than they needed to be to fill up the space (or for shop interiors, there was just a lot of black screen). I think you could still get the widescreen feeling you want without going quite so big.

Since I didn't get to see much of the game I won't comment on the story. Using the seven deadly sins as inspiration for levels is a good idea, but from what I saw on the greed level it wasn't quite used to it's potential. I actually ended up using the battles with the gold-hoarding monsters as a spot to grind since I got more experience and gold from those compared to normal fights. So instead of being punished for being greedy, I was rewarded... Which is not quite what you were going for I bet. :guffaw:

Instead of having those battles be available over and over, you could use them to teach the players not to get greedy when it comes to experience. Have the gold blocks turn to stone once the battle is won and keep track of how many times the player searches for those battles, and when the player's won like three hit them with a much more powerful enemy. The player could beat it if they tried hard, but they'd also learn that being too greedy has consequences.

Speaking of battles, I thought they looked quite pretty but could use more balancing. I ended up spamming Attack because it was enough to kill most enemies in a turn or two. There are a few graphical things on the battle screen that I urge you to adjust. First is using the default flower details with Moghunter's plugin. You're doing your game a huge disservice by not having your own pieces there! Even if they were simple, I know it would make your game stand out from all the other games that use the same plugin. The other thing was that the MP bar color is red but the numbers in the Special skill menu were blue. It's a small thing, but color-coding things can make really help your players make connections (I actually thought skills cost HP at first, because the HP bar is blue).

I mentioned that I stopped because of getting warped into a wall on the second floor, but that's only part of the reason why. I had already run into a game-breaking bug in the inn that forced me to restart, apparently the green carpet in front of the exit is impassable so once the player enters the inn there's no way to leave... Luckily I had checked out all the buildings at the start of the game so I didn't lose much progress.

When I was put into the wall on the Gluttony floor, I had made the mistake of not saving for a while so I had to replay a lot to get back to that point. I tested it and it only happened if the player tried to go straight to the next floor, choosing to go back to town after the Greed boss battle would put the player in the right spot of the Gluttony floor. But at that point I'd had enough, so I stopped playing.
2nd floor oopsie.png
Overall, I think you were ambitious but bit off a bit more than you could chew. A month isn't much time to make a fully fleshed out game, so I think you may have been better off ditching the multiple level idea and instead made one really strong level. This idea does have merit though, so I hope you do keep working on it and improving. Good luck! :rwink:

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone Thank you for your feedback. I already fixed that error that teleported you to the wrong spot. You must have downloaded it before I fixed it. No worries though. You can re download, and copy your save file though if you still want to continue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.
Yelp. I've discovered that I am one of those people who should not be drinking coffee. Took me a week detoxing off of coffee and switching to tea to realize how badly it was affecting me- and I've been drinking the stuff for years. Yikes!
I bought a gaiter with Meijer printed on it.

I'm still a Walmart worker, and I wore it today for work.
Trying out new carpet autotiles and I can't decide if it's working or not. Pixeling soft carpets is hard
It seems like this is going to be another remote semester. RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakobhenerey309