Alador

Captain Cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, fellow game devs! I already posted a thread kind of like this, but I thought it would be good to make a separate thread so I can go into some more detail.

Basically, I need some help brainstorming some ideas for a monster species in my game because I have no creativity ideas are hard. Anywho, the monster species I am thinking of is a genetically engineered creature that was made in a laboratory. This creature is capable of bending reality around it and changing euclidian geometry to non-euclidian geometry, which provides some motivation for the game's storyline. I had a couple of ideas for how this creature might look, and I'll share them with you to get the creative juices flowing.
  • Idea #1: Fractals. My first idea was to use some sort of stylized fractal to make a creature that is still somewhat related to geometry. I searched up an online fractal generator and this is one of the images that I found fitting:
    1610049562655.png
  • Idea #2: Impossible Shapes. My second idea was to make a creature who's limbs are made out of various impossible shapes. Sadly, I lost the image of this one, but I hope that you can all imagine what I am talking about...

• Idea #3: Picasso Style. My third idea was a type of picasso-style creature, kinda like the Jerrys from Disney's Soul movie, if any of you have seen that.
Anywho, I hope that my ideas can get the ball rolling, and if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

Attachments

• 1610049486172.png
    1610049486172.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 1

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think option 2 and 3 are nicer for the player to look at and understand and see the connection to the story element about geometry.

Stylized Fractal enemies Just look like complex designs with less depth to them as far as the under lying idea goes.

Thats my two cents anyway (and i hate every thing math and geomitry related so... Lol)

Alador

Captain Cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I do agree with you, the fractal creature is probably my least favorite out of all of them...

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to match enemies with the area they're found in, makes it easy to come up with ideas for enemies. It all depends on the environments you're using.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe use both 2 and 3 type enemies? They could go well together I think if you plan for it.

Alador

Captain Cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oooh yess!

15098D

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've always been a fan of Earthbound-like enemies so I think a fractal in a humanoid shape would look pretty cool c:

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've always been a fan of Earthbound-like enemies so I think a fractal in a humanoid shape would look pretty cool c:
This sounds like a cool idea. You could combine ideas 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 with the outline or perimeter of the creature defined by difficult to interpret geometry, but have the space within it reflect a fractal design.

Weird random thought. This could be a premise for a text driven game.

The player takes on the role of a researcher exploring a non-Euclidean space in a special suit. Since the space cannot be represented visually in a way that can be understood by the explorer, the space is interpreted by the suit and routed to the HUD as a textual description of what's in the explorer's immediate vicinity.

Part of the challenge could come from figuring out how to interpret some of the more complex or bizarre descriptions - such as recognizing that the impossible fractal shape is a creature to be avoided. Or that the pulsing lights in the omnidirectional hole is the soda in a non-Euclidean vending machine.

Alador

Captain Cute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@duty... woah... not at all what I had in mind for this game whatsoever, but... dang that is a really, really good idea-

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on a case. Get all the evidence to prosecute some bad guys. :kaojoy:
But, the game development schedule delayed. :kaoswt2:
The moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished... I guess...
Now, hopefully, some certain people will not be stupid enough to leak my name on the reports.
just beat ff7 original for the first time since 2010. having played remake last year, I have a much better appreciation for the original oddly enough. I still like some of the character presentation in remake more, but the original's got a lot going for it.
Ever reach that moment in your life when your juggling a dozen or more projects that you know will never be made but don't have the heart to delete them? Ugh, I hate those moments...
:kaosigh: Why must you hurt me so?
my main character isn't the warrior of light or the chosen one, he's a self righteous, invasive try hard who gets ahead of himself and makes a critical error, resulting in a downward moral spiral that, eventually, leads him to truths that make him a better man, and im DAMN proud of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pit2752