Golden Fish Entertainment

Last Man Standing
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, we are aiming to have monsters grow more powerful as the party's average level increases. What would be the best method of achieving this?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That depends on your game.

Some games simply do this by railroading and balancing, as the player has only one way to go and will encounter new monsters on each new map.

Another way would be to use a script like Yanfly's "enemy levels", that makes the encounters scale with the party level

Still another way might be evented encounters, where the selected enemy for a battle is different depending on story progress, party level or whatever else.

Generally speaking, an automatic and simple system like the level-script is easier to implement, but also easier to abuse (grinding) and more difficult to balance.

On the other hand the methods where the developer selects the enemy are easier to balance, but a lot more work to implement.

Golden Fish Entertainment

Last Man Standing
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, the point is not to railroad the player. The point is to have a big world with lots of optional dungeons the player can explore at their leisure, and have the battles be challenging regardless of WHEN they do so.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If by "method" you mean how you should actually implement it (rather than a design question) I would consider using formulas:

Param Formulas

Gold Formulas

Exp Formulas

So you can choose how you want to scale each enemy individually and have control over what you want to scale. Maybe slime should just remain weak no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, the point is not to railroad the player. The point is to have a big world with lots of optional dungeons the player can explore at their leisure, and have the battles be challenging regardless of WHEN they do so.
Then your only way would be the second method I described - using a script to automatically scale the enemy, like it's done with Yanfly's enemy levels.

However, I have to admit that I don't like those scripts - I like open-world-type games, but I personally think that scaling enemies in that way destroys the game's reality, as the enemies you encounter on early parts of the map suddenly become stronger when you revisit that part of the game later.

I would rather prefer games that don't scale on the party level but on story progression - that can be done without railroading, if you put in the extra work.

For example, you can scale the enemy on the number of dungeons already visited/finished instead of the player level...

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Andar, Yanfly's script allows you to set max and min possible levels per enemy, to help with balancing. So it's fine,

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?
That moment when you try to figure out a color scheme for an alien ship so that it's something other than "Grey on Grey".
It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!
Why parodies are always underrated on your opinion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbelluco