English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Monument rpg banner.png

Approximate playtime: 25 minutes

Genre: Adventure

Flavour: Cyberpunk, fantasy

Synopsis:

You are a young apprentice who learns a terrifying new skill. How will you use your power to shape the world around you?

In Monument, players will learn insightful knowledge which can be used to affect the game world. However, only a few interventions can be made. How will you choose to intervene?

Game features include a town of NPCs whose fate you can influence, and an interesting meta gimmick - play to find out what that is. While the gimmick might not be necessary, it does play into the game's story. Plus, I was curious to see if the technique would work, and game jams are a great time to try out experimental ideas!

This game was (mostly) created in 24 hours for the New Brunswick Game Jam with the theme of "Everything you know is wrong."

Screenshots:

Monument1.pngMonument2.pngMonument3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll be honest - I was a bit hesitant to download the game when I saw it used stock assets - but I'm impressed! The story was incredibly unique, and felt a bit trippy, being that they were aware they were avatars (or at least the main character was)

:) 

Fring Frang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, thanks for trying the game out. Stock art isn't the flashiest, but with only 24 hrs to jam, you gotta work with what you've got!

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
OH! I didn't see the 24 Hour Jam part - haha, sorry lad. 

Fring Frang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No need to be sorry, it's a fair criticism. In planning future full-blown games, I'd like to commission some art, but gotta find funding for that first

Minomato

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Monument is a good demo RPG for choice-based interactions and consequences: you can make choices and see that they will have an effect immediately and later on; but you don't immediately know the best choice. Thankfully, you are able to see all the choices with enough legwork around the town, and you can come to a conclusion on your own. Some games feel like they trick you into making a choice by limiting dialogue options before you know enough of the picture, but I felt comfortable I was being deliberate when I made my decisions.

I thought the "gimmick" was awfully sketchy when it popped up at first, but it demonstrates an interesting function I wouldn't have guessed, and I bet that sort of thing could be used in other projects to an also-neat effect.

Good work on this!

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
So...

I read the synopsis and it intrigued me. :)

I really liked the part where you need to download new files to continue. 

The story was also very unique and interesting. :)  Good job, looking forward to your future projects!

But for now, could you maybe try my game - Dying World? It's a 5 part episodic series, PART 1 available at Completed Projects.

It's about a Post Apocalyptic USA, where you play as a Ranger named Harold as you get betrayed and left to die. But someone manages to save you in time, and now you want revenge...

JRibbons

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If this is an MV game, could you please provide an OSX build for us Mac people to play? It looks really interesting but I don't have a PC. 

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this is an MV game, could you please provide an OSX build for us Mac people to play? It looks really interesting but I don't have a PC. 

If you open the www folder you can play the game in your browser by opening index.html. I'm not sure if MV exports compiled app folders for Mac. I'll have to try it some time whenever I finish a game.

@Fring Frang  I can't figure out what to do in the game. I just get to the round pod looking thing and it says download more files and the game dies.

That music sounds like Dark Side of The Moon btw. I can't really hear Everything you Know is Wrong.

Fring Frang

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
JRibbons, this is indeed an MV game, but the "gimmick" I tried out might not work on Mac, and I don't have one to test with. As mog suggested, maybe downloading and playing in the browser might still work?

And thanks for the feedback everyone! Only seeing the replies now.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

5 months and no progression at all, i love me.
1.6 update incoming with quality breakthrough! :kaoluv:

1643254634071.png
I might try the mechanical bull at the fair on Friday... for one of the challenges, if you stay on for two minutes, you win $200. I might give that a try and see if I win--I'm pretty good at holding on to things.
Remaking a more streamlined version of my Remote Move map skill in MZ, just one switch and one variable to handle everything. If you seen the Move skill in Golden Sun before, moving far away items with your mind is pretty cool

MZtestRemoteMove.gif
I don't want to brag or anything but I was entertaining a woman the other night. I told her jokes while she bandaged my foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dracoonix