RMVXA Moonfall - Complete Demo (6-10 hours of gameplay)

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After streaming, worries that I had for the game disappeared
I found a lot of the content well made. the graphics were quite detailed and vibrant and the battle animations were kinda stiff, but I still found it breathtaking.

I noticed various RPG Maker default tracks, but I also noticed some that I believe were original, the track that played in the cave was placed very well, for I felt that it brought the map more alive.

The chance that a alchemy procedure might fail was a good implantation,
Inside many games you can craft stuff, but I don't often see a chance to fail at creating the object. I found it great~

Overall, the game was completely well-made, I'll be highlighting the stream
for viewers on my Twitch to see and will be posting it on my Youtube Channel.
I'll also be doing more RPG Maker live-streams, if you want to know which ones go live, please follow and subscribe, It would literally mean SO much to me.

BrentBAM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello. My download bounced at that link. But it might be my internet so I'll try again later.

I watched the first 35 minutes off the flesh to dust video, and it looks pretty awesome!! Cant wait to try it.

jasonzeno

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds good! Let me know if it still doesn't work, I'll upload it to a different site.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, the game seems interesting and I love all the little animations you've included. Things like the guards snapping to attention when the elf lady walks by or the protagonist visibly waking up add a great touch to the game. And so do things like the hero's combat sprite performing the moves and the sound effects for the hornets and such.

I'll try to get through the demo and offer my thoughts on the whole thing, but there are quite a few annoyances already:

That intro cutscene was seriously terrible as an opening to a game. Now, it had neat moments, like the guards snapping to attention as soon as the elf lady walked by, but... eh, everything was so damn slow and seemingly inconsequential. I don't know who are these people, what exactly happened to them and the cutscene doesn't explain much, but the cutscene drags on and on and not because things are happening and dialogue is said, but because everyone moves at a snails pace in cutscenes (thankfully, it's better ingame) and the camera panning speed is also seriously slow. Not to mention the pauses between textboxes. It feels like those are there for animations that aren't implemented yet. And at the part where the camera pans over to the king and stays there, seriously, if it wasn't for that "dust" effect, I'd think the game froze or something.

Now, the part where the hero is introduced sleeping in the bed was criticized and I can confirm that I've played several RPGmaker games where that was a thing in the intro as well, but... I don't mind it at all. Yeah, it's cliche and maybe a little overdone, but it's fine. In fact, it's the only place in the intro where the slow pace actually kinda works. If anything would turn me away as a regular player, it would be the slowness of the previous part of the cutscene. That elf lady seriously needs to pick up the pace and so does everyone else.

These random pauses between text boxes are seriously annoying. As are the random pauses for each dot at times. Every dialogue between characters feels like they don't want to be ther at all or that they forgot their lines, not to mention the annoyance factor at the slowdown. The average dialogue is basically like this:

NPC: You're a great fighter!
Hero: I strive to be the best!
Hero: Anyway, anything else?
*Hero and NPC stare at each other for an uncomfortable amount of time.*
NPC: Hmm, let me think.
NPC: Hmm, let me think..
NPC: Hmm, let me think...
*A balloon icon appears over the NPC's head, then disappears*
NPC: There's monsters in the cave.
*pause*
NPC: Please, defeat 10 of them.
NPC: The cave is northwest from here.
*NPC starts walking very slowly in the direction of the cave*
*5 seconds later*
NPC: That Way!
Accept Quest? (Yes/No)
*Choose Yes*
*Quest Accepted!*
*5 seconds pass, Quest Accepted text disappears.*
*Player tries to move, but he can't, as the cutscene isn't over yet.*
NPC: Thanks for helping me!
Game Resumes

Seriously, I dread talking to NPCs because of this. There's a game being slowpaced and there's this thing, where it seems like the game is too embarassed to be played. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my computer, but it appears to be a deliberate choice? Also, I don't know if that starting village song is RTP or not, but I am already tired of it.

That tutorial dump with Bill was seriously a bit too overwhelming, maybe he could have also given you a Manual item or something where you could read through what he just told you at your own pace if you forgot. Also, not really a fan of characters explaining game mechanics like this, even though many games do this.

It would be nice if the "Gather X number of things" had a progress log where you could see how many things you still need.

Does the world map really need traditional random encounters in addition to the on-screen ones?

jasonzeno

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for your input, Beregon.

I am aware of these issues and will eventually address all of them, for now this project has been temporarily shelved do to time restraints.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like a really cool game. Sold me on 35 character classes. I'll give it a try while a take a small break from working on my next demo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...
rux
Someone please help me make my game.
I need someone to volunteer, I am on my knees man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nitrostat