Moonlight Daemon's Balancing Lesson

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Moonlight Daemon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Moonlight Daemon

Moonlight Daemon Demonic Angel Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally had time to finish this and upload it! I'm currently in the east hall, furthest classroom. @Touchfuzzy can fix that if he desires to in the full version.

Lesson:
    You battle three different enemies with different stat distributions to test balance of enemies. You then get to look at their database entries and see how to balance them.

New Inclusions:
    I added three enemies and three troops for balance testing purposes. One's too powerful, one's too weak, and one's a bit of a challenge, but otherwise alright.

Image Names: All MLD's are yours truly.

Common Event: Didn't use one. :hswt:

CaptainRadish likes this.
  2. LanceRPG

LanceRPG A Lazy Beggar Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for sharing

3. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Downloaded and playtesting.

I ran into a bug just at the beginning of a lesson. In fact two.
    Bug 1: When you begin a lesson, the red circle portal disappears, but the event still reacts on touch.
    Bug two: When you talk to the teacher and he goes to summon his first monster, you have a Move route set to Turn right-Turn right-Move down-Move down. Maybe you wanted to set it Move right-Move right-Move down-Move down instead, however this still doesn't make it bugproof - when the actor is in the way, the game freezes. To eliminate this bug set the move routes so that the actor can never be in the way.

Also, game balancing doesn't mean the same as game difficulty. A game can be well balanced even when it is easy, because the game can be supposed to be easy. The main issue of game balancing is skill strength, actor strength and enemy strength. Having skills reasonably powerful so that normal attack isn't actually worth more than those skills. Having buff skills reasonably powerful to adequately compensate for the loss of turn (for example a 25% atk buff for 3 turns doesn't add up to 100%, which means by using this buff you will actually lose time). Having no OP skills and no way to break the game system without cheating (for example one OP strategy that is easy to find and wins you the entire game is game breaking). Having monsters with appropriate strengths to the progress instead of for example feeble monsters, but mega boss. That is what game balancing is about much more than about difficulty.

Another additional issues of game balancing can be usefulness of skills - having like three or four useful skills when you have 20 skills available. Or itens that do not need to be used. Money that doesn't need to be spent. And I could continue.

EDIT: Your monsters are badly balanced even for a purpose of a bad balance.

The first one did indeed one shot me. Expected, no problem here.
    Second one took me one turn. Expected, no problem here.
    Third one took me two turns and his first turn was wait, so I got no damage. For a challenging, but still beatable monster, unacceptable.

After I defeated those three monsters, I could only open Torch in T.U.T.O.R. The reason why is simple, you have two parallel events on page up.

Also,

quote:
    As long as the player and his or her enemies are around the same strength as the player will be at that point, the game will stay fun and challenging.
    quote end

is incorrect too. You aren't even touching random encounters. Random encounters having the same strength as player will keep the game sadistic, especially if they are frequent (and see - frequent random encounters are another game balancing issues)

In conclusion this lesson is very incomplete and very bugged. Before posting it next time, I suggest running a debug run. Because this was bugged from start to finish without any way to avoid the bugs.

P.S You forgot to reset all switches and variables to 0 after your lesson.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Agreed with @Poryg on the concept of balance.

Not to say balance and difficulty don't have any connection. You want to balance a game to the difficulty level you are going for, but difficulty itself isn't balancing.

5. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like your character! Then again, I have a soft spot for darker things :hwink:

I think the portal might be better set to below characters so you can walk ontop of it and then be transported. Also, the player spinning animation you've set up doesn't run because it's playing too quickly. If you put a wait ~3 seconds between each turn, you'll be able to see it.

I find it a bit strange that once you've agreed to join the lesson, you have to speak to the teacher again. That might be better on autorun.

You do need to sort out the move route bug that Porg has mentioned, since the demo isn't actually playable and I had to edit the lesson to be able to play it.

I think you could do with centering the battler images a little better, (if the project is sticking with the front view battle system.) At first glance, I just thought SV Harold had failed to load.:hswt:

For the first tutor event, you could do with adding a break loop to the cancel choice too, incase someone presses Esc rather than selecting the exit choice. I would remove self switch C as well (this stops the player reopening T.U.T.O.R if they'd like, so you'd be better just controlling self switch B off.) When the player has found you, you can turn on a switch which would have a blank page in the T.U.T.O.R event (replacing self switch C page.) The second T.U.T.O.R event (Page 6) needs to be on autorun as well, and to either disallow cancel or make sure it breaks the loop too.

You also left OnLesson on, so the portal doesn't reappear and the player is trapped forever in this magical dimension! :LZYshock:

If you need some help with debugging your project and getting it to work the way you want, I don't mind testing for you. However, I do think your lesson is a little short. You'd hope it would be common sense to most devs to have enemies that can be defeated. I think it could do with touching on how to make sure the stats are balanced (I assume there's a method outside of input random numbers and see how many turns it takes?) You obviously don't need to touch on the entire battle spectrum, damage formulas, skills and all the other stuff since that'd either be too long or not well explained, but I do think there needs to be a little more to the lesson in terms of the educational part. Perhaps you could explain what Max HP, ATK etc actually do/mean?

Other that than, my final question is, what pet shop have you been to!? :guffaw: