moonlight overlay?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Mrpaulyshore, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Mrpaulyshore

Mrpaulyshore Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    As I go back and look over my game I realize I am missing something..The woods in my intro look dark but bland. Would someone be kind enough as to educate me in a way to add moonlight to my forest maps and also how does one light up tiles such as maps or street lights to make building and rooms more realistic looking. and please explain it step by step because I am really new to the mapping aspects and I need ever detail possible to understand clearly.

thanks! 

2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You'd need to delve into parallax mapping if you want to have certain areas 'light' up during a screentint (screentint tints all map tiles, so it doesn't matter if you have an on/off version of a lamp for example).

With parallax mapping, your map consists out of two layers: the parallax, and the overlay picture. The parallax is affect by screentints, the overlay picture is simply a picture and is NOT affect by it (and thus can be used to create glowing lights). Of course, the mapping has to be done outside of RPG Maker and in a program like Photoshop or GIMP, and is definitely more time consuming than mapping in RPG Maker.

Or you could simply keep on creating maps in RPG Maker, but only use the overlay picture to add lights. That could work. That picture still needs to be created in Photoshop or GIMP though. And you need a script that fixes the picture to the map.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA