RMMV MOOP (Retro Puzzle-Adventure) [IGMC 2017]

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Geoff Moore, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    title cropped.png
    MOOP is a short puzzle adventure game made in one month for IGMC 2017. I'm quite pleased with what I was able to do in the time allowed, but I'll be continuing to improve and expand the game (after sleeping for at least a week and catching up on music commissions!). You can follow Moop's future development on Twitter!

Many thanks to the contest organisers and judges for your time and hard work, and best of luck to all the entrants!

Please note that MOOP does not support mouse controllers. Gamepad and headphones highly recommended.

Get the game here, and please vote if you like it! https://itch.io/jam/igmc2017/rate/191329

I'll update this page with some GIFs soon, but for now here are a few screenshots:

scr2.png
    scr3.png
    scr4.png

Thanks for playing, and let me know what you think!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Hi,

I got stuck at that mute immovable elephant part, I suspect that I will have to make use of the mouse hiding at the Moop's house to make that elephant move...but then the cheese is closely guarded by those froggies....and then it was already late in the night (2AM), so I will just stop there. It's not a bug, I just need you to tell me some guide if you could lol.

If you want me to be to be completely honest....I think there are too many empty spaces in your game filled in with...uh...almost nothing, thus creating too many negative spaces. But then again, I haven't played your game to the end, and I might have been too tired during that time, so....I think I am being pretty biased about this.

Overall this game feels nostalgic, the background song is pretty soothing, and hell, those critters are so cute. Seriously:D.

I have shown your game to some of my non gaming-heavy friends. Their first impression? "whoa...tetris?".

Geoff Moore likes this.
  3. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for playing @metronome! Glad you like the characters and the music (there's more of that to come, I know that first piece is a little overused)! I think the empty space comment is very fair. I have a lot of plans for the game, and probably the most important is to fill in the world with more visual details and characters to make it busier. Despite having entered the contest twice before this was actually my first time tile-mapping, so I think I still have a lot to learn there : ) Funnily enough, there were originally some tetris-shape scenery but I took it out as it felt too on-the-nose haha.

Here's your hint!
    Actually, you don't need a hint. Sounds like you've got everything figured out already, and you can get that cheese without leaving the cave or using any items. That bit is more of a joke than a puzzle, but I can see why you might feel like you're stuck there.

And here's the solution if needed, which I don't think you'd beat yourself up for reading:

After talking to the Hop-hops at either side of the cave the choices you get for responding to the frog king change.

Thanks so much for playing! I hope you get time to continue. :D

metronome likes this.
  4. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Hi,

I read your hint and it certainly helps lol. Didn't know it's just a joke....

And I found a very minor issue in your game, in the raining part of the game.
    Ensign Clarke shouldn't be able to respond to Moop when she sleeps, right? Yet she could.
    I told Moop to give his pebble to her, and she could respond to that....
    But ah, it's so minor that I could dismiss it. She was probably just dreaming lol.

Anyway, I played it through till the end, and for some reason I feel sad that the dad couldn't join them at the end of the story. I know it sounds weird but I think it would be nice if there is a way to bring his father back. But guess that would be Moop's story for another time.

For now I will go try other games. BUT I do believe you have the chance to make it to top 10. Top 3? Well...I gonna have to try more games to see. By the time of this post, I still haven't played 242 out of 252 entries out there....

Geoff Moore likes this.
  5. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Awesome, I'm glad you finished it! And you're right about that little bug, I'll make sure to fix it for the next version. I really appreciate your vote of confidence, thank you very much! Enjoy playing the other games :D

6. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    MOOP has been getting some awesome feedback, including that rarest of rare things, a WOOO! from @Indrah!! Thank you everyone <3

First port of call for the post comp version: make everyone blink :D

Edit: I wonder if anyone's found the hidden object yet...

7. Rinober

Rinober Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This game is so sweet, the characters are adorable and the gameplay is fun, although I sometimes didn't really know where to go next, but I think that's part of the genre and something missing in my brain when it's late :) I love the graphics btw, so simple but cute at the same time.
    I think you've done an amazing job! Thumbs up for this game! :)
    edit: oops couldn't open the menu and save anymore after I talked to the astronaut lady for the first time :/ I will try again and continue tomorrow :)

Geoff Moore likes this.
  8. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you so much @Roiber! I'm so glad you enjoyed the game :) Did you finish in the end? There's no reason the menu should stop working, perhaps you were trying to open it with the standard menu key? I'm definitely going to make that trigger the menu in the post comp version, but for now it's A for the menu. Thanks again!

9. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Nooooo... How could I miss this?