More control for finer positioning of Enemy Troops

Discussion in 'Editor Suggestions and Improvement' started by AdamSakuru, Sep 7, 2017.

?

Do you want this feature?

1. Yes.

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Yes, but not important.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Description of the Feature:
    • In RPG Maker VX Ace, there was a way to adjust the enemy troop positions by pixel lengths. I can't remember if it was exactly this, but it was something like hold down ctrl/alt and then press an arrow key when you have an enemy in the troop selected to move them by a pixel in that direction. Currently you can press the arrows keys and it will move the enemy by a set amount (let's say it's like 20 pixels or so?) But if I want to fine tune the enemy positions because of the way my battle backs are set up, it's really annoying to try and get perfect horizontals or verticals with the mouse because there isn't that extra method of moving the enemy position by very fine amounts.

[​IMG]
    This is a screenshot from my project. As you can see, I've tried to place the enemies differently based on how many are in the troop. I've tried to match it closely to the horizontals/verticals of the party members but it's really easy to mess up with the mouse. Having to do this for every troop is annoying without that extra method that Ace had.

Why is this feature good?
    • This feature is situational and isn't necessarily needed, but I liked being able to use this in Ace. Especially if you're really trying to perfect your project, these kinds of things are nice to have. And if anyone wants to do anything interesting with their battle-backs and enemy placements, they'll probably run into this issue too.

Possible issues with this feature?
    • Nothing I can think of. It never caused any issues in Ace.

The Stranger likes this.
  2. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I agree. This is pretty much required future for SV battle with firearms - I want to be able to shoot enemies realistically - a gun should hit an enemy directly opposite to the player, not at an angle. This means I need to have enemies / battlers precisely aligned.
    Btw that's a nice looking game :D Does your battle engine know about rows? As in can you extract distance information from troops?

AdamSakuru and The Stranger like this.
  3. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks, brah!

The Battle Engine is Yanfly's Battle Engine Core with some of his add-ons (most notably the row formation plugin). It doesn't do anything with distance information, but instead which row state the party member or enemy target has. I think Yanfly's engine would have to be reworked with the row system to have it account for actual distance as that makes it a bit more of a strategy battle system. Here's the project thread if you're interested in seeing more.

Alastor01 likes this.
  4. Alastor01

Alastor01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I see that's cool ! :) Thanks for the info!
    So the rows correspond to positions in relation to battlers? I can use that.

AdamSakuru likes this.
  5. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah, you can set up to 10 rows (I think?) You can have a row give you multiple states that act as passive states. But keep in mind that you have to account for the positioning/space more for additional rows. Unless you set them all to similar positions (which I also think you can do)

As a heads up, it can be very time consuming to figure out positioning if you're going to do something similar to what I've done. I actually did the positioning first for the row positions and then figured out the base battle-backs afterwards. But it was a lot of trial and error to get it the way I wanted.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Alastor01 likes this.
  6. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will look into this for a future version, no promises however.

- Liquidize

feckyeslife, AdamSakuru and Alastor01 like this.