LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried looking up plugins having to do both with steps and encounters, and it didn't come up, but
I'm sure something like this should exist, and if it doesn't, someone really needs to make one.

So, the way encounter systems work by default (I think this is how they work) is after a set amount of "steps" (unsure if this means tiles, or something else) there is a chance that you will get a random encounter, and a chance every step from that point onwards.

What I would like is a more defined system, where every X to X steps you get a guaranteed encounter.
So, like, you could put in a note tag something like this into your map :
[encounterRate:30-35:]
or something like that, and after 30 tiles, you would have a chance to get an encounter, but once you hit 35 tiles, you would get an encounter no matter what.
Not sure how different or simaller this is to the current system, but I feel like it would be miles above what we have right now.
Maybe doing something like this is too complicated and it hasn't been done, but I hope it has, because I think it would make the encounter system so much better.

Sometimes, you'll get a bunch of encounters on a map, and sometimes hardly any, and that just won't do.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can change the average steps per encounter when edit map details. default says 30 which already guaranties a fight every 60 steps

LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can change the average steps per encounter when edit map details. default says 30 which already guaranties a fight every 60 steps
" default says 30 which already guaranties a fight every 60 steps " so what your saying is that if you set it to 30 steps, you'll definitely get an encounter every 60 steps.
So, if I were to set it to 10 then I would get it every 20, and if I were to set it to 50 I would get it at least every 100?
This is exactly the problem, I want less variation, more control over exactly how many steps.
Also, does steps mean tiles, or something else? I always just kinda assumed it meant tiles, but I'm not sure. In other words, does walking from one tile to another equal one step?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, the default encounter system works a bit different than you both assume.

if you set the encounter rate to 30 steps, then an encounter will happen after an average of 30 steps.

the exact mathematics are:
steps to encounter = random(1-mapstep) plus random (1-mapstep).

Basically if the map has a setting of 30 steps to average encounter, then it will make two random rolls of a number between 1 and that step number and add them together - resulting in an everage of one encounter every x steps, with a minimum step number of one or two (I don't have the exact limits in my mind) and two times the average as maximum step number until encounter.

to change that you'll either need a plugin, or you can disable the default random encounters and use a common event to define your own mathematics (be careful about lag in that case)

and step means regular tiles without events - if you trigger an event on a tile that one is not counted for random encounters.

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Olivia AntiPlayerStress plugin takes care of this, it allows you to define a hard minimum step count before another encounter can happen. very nice plugin.
It also allows you to toggle whether or not escaping can fail.

LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thankyou @Zerothedarklord "Olivia AntiPlayerStress plugin" seems like a great plugin to have.
I might still need to work on figuring out exactly how to get the encounters to work the way I want, but
the heal after level up function is a great addition at the very least.

In response to @Andar I figured I would need a plugin.
I'm already using quite a few parallel events on most of my maps, so I don't
think eventing encounters would be the best choice.

I think the best solution would be to figure out roughly how often I want an encounter by counting my indivudual steps, setting the encounter rate to half that number on the map screen, and then setting the APS (AntiPlayerStress) plugin to be a little below what I actually want it to be.
Something like that.
Sorry if I didn't explain that well, it's a lot of stuff to keep track of, especially for someone like me who hates coding. I'm more of a creative guy.

Oh, and of course, thankyou both, this helps a lot :rswt

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you want to happen a garanteed encounter, you need to work with variables.
once the variable hit the number, you get the encounter.

How it work exacly can be found here, but bare in mind, there is more variables
and switches used (because of the indicator), but you can get those out or for test
purpose in the way you want it to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_3 and People3_4 added!

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olixproductions