More frames for battlers animations

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a plugin that I suspect is fairly complicated, but omg so useful for those of us who like to make their own graphics.

I love that MV implemented side view battles, they look really good. However, I would LOVE a plugin that would allow us adjust the number of frames we can use per actions.

Back in VX Ace, Galv who had this very awesome script:

http://galvs-scripts.com/category/rmvxa-scripts/battle/#post-936

I'm certain many of us find that 3 character frames per action is insufficient to get a nice battle animation. Personally, I'm using 16 frames per animation (it could be higher, but at some point I gotta limit myself or else I will destroy someone's ram with spreadsheets too big).

Now, I'm not too sure about this, but maybe it would be better to have each animation on a separate file (example: Fighter_Attack.png, Fighter_Cast.png, Fighter_Hit.png, etc.) rather than on a giant one, as it would minimize the amount of memory the game must use at the same time (since not all animations are used at the same time)... but maybe it'd be simpler to have one giant spreadsheet with all the animations as it would reduce the loading time between animations... I don't know... I guess it would require testing.

Also, I think it would be a good opportunity to create animated monsters that would work the exact same way as they players do (maybe have the option to animate monsters or not...)

Finally, I think it would be important to allow the user to be able to use different size of frames (I think it's already the case with the actual system though).

I apologize If I seem to ask for several things here, but I get the feeling all of these should be within the same plugin... and I really get the feeling this plugin would be a definite game changer.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I second this. I was using this script for my vxa project and it's essential for me to port my game to mv. One key feature I'm also looking for is the ability to change the sprite size of our battlers to match whatever we choose by indicating the number of rows.

NKato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
We have one for the up/down/left/right movement sprites, which is "MoreCharacterFrames.js" by Shaz, but I think she could adapt this for the battler sprites. It just would make the sprite sheet really big, so that presents its own challenges.

I wonder who can make one like it for the SV battler sprites.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
It would make the spritesheets really big, yeah, but if we separate all animations on different sheets, they wouldn't be so big (although you'd have quite a few different files). I think that would be optimal.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, the game I'd been making prior to MV used the script and had spritesheets who's individual sprites were about the size of a battle animation sprite.  The sheets also had 12 frames per animation, so the width was at least 1200.  Nevertheless, a large spritesheet never caused slowdown, and allowed me to make one awesome set of battlers.  To deal with full HD resolution, I'll need to make them even larger, so a plugin is essential for me.  I don't think the concern or worry of spritesheet sizes and their consequences should really be a reason not to make the plugin.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
If all the animations of the same character are on different spreadsheets, it won't cause a problem (although the game will have to load the anim during a fight). But if all the animations of one character are on the same spreadsheet, it probably will be. With 8 enemies + 4 allies with giant spreadsheet, I'm not sure how good the game will handle the animations on lower end devices and computers. We'd have to test it.

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I second this plugin as well :)

Siul

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
No, I've never tried it, but I recall seeing videos of that system. It looked very interesting.

erikmidnatt

Mercenary Wizard possessed by an Evil Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like more frames too.. with the higher resolution possible not all styles will look good with only 3 frames.

But also less frames would be good for different projects:) Just have one frame per action would be awesome. Hopefully it could support that too.

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Well, the optimal plugin would be something flexible that allows the user to determine the number of frames he wishes to use!

lonewolph

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I NEED THIS. Also Would be best if it supported different image files for each individual animation instead of one large sheet. AND it needs to support ADDITIONAL animations instead of making us stuck with Missile, Swing Thrust Etc....

bigorados

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really want this too, making the battler sprites the way you want is always a hassle in rpg maker....

Emanzi

Ekamu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Don’t care if this is a necropost but I second this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatisGachi